• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

karting update - new venue - k1speed in Carlsbad Aug 15th meet at 1:00 race at 1:30pm

It's time to go Karting again (and at a new place!)

K1speed in Carlsbad www.k1speed.com

It looks like many folks really wanted to try out the new place, and we had plenty of advance notice, so I changed our venue to the new K1speed in Carlsbad. Although its still only a short drive for the San Diego folks, it really shortens up the drive for anyone coming from Orange County down to less than an hour.

I've checked out K1speed in person and and I think you'll like it; new, fast and torquey electric cars (no fumes), longer and stickier track, live timing on a projection screen, and a good amount of seating. I've posted some pics here.

From their site: "Our Italian electric Pro Karts are the best available in the world with 20 HP Instead of 6.5HP or 9HP like gas operated karts which makes them much faster, with better handling and of course no smog, grease, or gas smell. They are fully computerized for best safety they also have a roll hoop, racing harness, and even a reverse position if you get stuck."

I've reserved the same time slot on Sunday, August 15th, starting at 1:30pm for a mini grand prix (3 races, $60, membership not required). Please plan on arriving around 1:00pm to get signed in and ready to race by 1:30pm.

I've arranged for a small discount on membership if anyone wants to join for $45, which includes a free race, t-shirt, etc and subsequent race discounts.

I'll need to call a few days in advance with a final driver count so please try to commit by Thursday, August 12th at the latest.

The cafe is not yet ready (waiting for permits) so folks can eat something light beforehand and we can arrange for a pizza delivery for around 2:30 or we can cruise somewhere afterwards along the coast for a bite. Lots of options in and around Carlsbad or along PCH.

The current driver list:

Troy (tbNSX)
Randy (furyNSX)
Conrad + Guest (powered by honda)
Kenny (k2)
Mark Q. (91x)
Aaron
Paul & Heidi
Eric (NSXDevil)
David (GoMaidy)
Scott + Linda? (ss_md)
Gil & Ryan (coolnsx)

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

See the K1Speed.com website for more info, directions.etc: www.k1speed.com

K1Speed
6212 Corte Del Abeto
Carlsbad, CA 92009

Mapquest: Mapquest Directions

Simple directions:

From I-5, take palomar airport road east 2.4 miles and turn right on Camino Vida Roble (am/pm mini market on southwest corner). After 1/4 mile, make the next left at Corte del Nogal, after 1/4 mile, take the next left at Corte del Abeto and K1Speed is at the end of the culdesac on the right.

Parking:

The foot entrance is right on the corner, parking is plentiful towards the right and around the back with more than 150 total spots. There are several large garage doors open in the back and provides somewhat of a view to the large parking lot so that might be a good place to group up for parking if the front is filled up. There is additional street parking if necessary.

Also, thinking ahead... They have some really nice meeting rooms available which might make for a nice place for an evening NSXCA meeting and drive combo in the future!

Last edited:
Troy, Please add Ryan and myself to the list, Thanks Gil Anyone else still in for the Palomar warmup run? :D

ANYTIME said:
Distance: 149.3 miles Approximate Travel Time: 2 hours 20 mins :eek:

You're killing me!!!

Now you know how we fill when we have to drive to Malibu:D

J/K;)

Don't forget about the O/P Run prior to the kart races....so add some more miles to your calculations:eek:

see you there!!!:D

tbNSX said:

The cafe is not yet ready (waiting for permits) so folks can eat something light beforehand and we can arrange for a pizza delivery for around 2:30 or we can cruise somewhere afterwards along the coast for a bite. Lots of options in and around Carlsbad or along PCH.
Depending on how far people would want to cruise and/or what the final destination for food ends up being, I'm willing to figure out some sort of route and provide maps to help things along.

I imagine we'd pretty much be done and ready to roll from K1 by 3:00 or 3:30, so a nice, simple 30 - 60 minute drive would allow us to settle down for a late afternoon meal around 4:30.

Is there any particular place that someone might recommend? Are there even enough people wanting to go on a mini-cruise to warrant the effort? Chime in with suggestions, and I'll start doing some recon work for routes and parking. :)

-Randy

I've been looking and got the email, but

1. How much does this cost?
2. Can my 14 yr old son drive one?

ubenergy said:
I've been looking and got the email, but

1. How much does this cost?
2. Can my 14 yr old son drive one?

From the k1speed website, rules section:

Must be 18 years or older with a valid drivers license. All racers must sign a release and waiver of liability form. For those under 18 years of age and a parent or legal guardian will need to sign for them (See special hours) A minimum height of 5ft/60inch is required for adults and 4.7ft/52inch for kids.

Sounds like if he's tall enough (52in) and has you sign him in, he's good to go.

Cost is $60 for the Grand Prix.

I hope you can join us!

Randy, My schedule requires me to head back to the OC after Karting, sorry I'll miss it. I am planning on doing the Palomar Run prior to Karting though. Anyone else want to take the long way to Carlsbad? :D

Final counts

I need to call in a final count tomorrow morning.

Scott, are you and Linda in?

ubenergy, are you and your son in?

Anyone bringing DRIVING guests I don't have on the list?

Randy, any luck scouting out a post karting dining spot?

Please reply or PM me your answers.

Thanks!

Looking forward to Sunday! :D :D :D

-Troy

Randy, how bout Fidel's off of PCH in Carlsbad...Excellent Mexican food!!!:D :p :cool:

91 X said:
Randy, how bout Fidel's off of PCH in Carlsbad...Excellent Mexican food!!!:D :p :cool:
I don't know of the one in Carlsbad. I have gone to the one right off of Via De La Valle in Del Mar just off the I-5 freeway.

How is parking at the Carlsbad one?

I'm definately not in for the OP Run and I'm 90 % on the Karting.

Scott

Palomar Run & K1 Karting

I can't thank Troy enough for putting this together. Somehow he and God speak in tongues, the maps were great, the roads were empty and the pace was brisk. Some said it was the early start others think Troy made some type of deal. When we did come across traffic, except for the disabled Harley rider, they cleared the way to let us run. We ran through some of the most pristine San Diego County roads and got to K1 right on time.
K1 was first class and the karts are awesome, we have to do that again as a club event. The racing was spirted, congrats to the trophy winners, Fury & I became bumping buddies and finished out of the money :D . Everything was first class and Troy did a super job, Thanks again, Gil

I second that!!! Thanks to Troy for the great route you mapped out for the O/P Run and setting up the karting..also would like to thank everyone who made it to the track in time to make it a fun @$$ Grand Prix!!! Props to Ryan for taking advantage of my one mistake:D and taking home the big trophy and also Heidi who held off the rest of us for a close second...

BTW, K2 is still trying to pass me!!!:p :D :cool:

I have to agree with Gil and Mark. I had a great time at K1. Thanks to Troy for setting it up. I can't wait to have another one!!!

Sorry I missed the O/P Run, but I did get to have a great afternoon meal with some of the guys followed by a nice drive down the coast. We couldn't have asked for better weather.

The pics thread can be found here.

-Randy

IMG_3228.JPG

Glad you guys had a good time. I wish I was able to make it.

Could someone tell me how you like the asphalt track? Does it offer better traction than concrete?

CDub said:
Could someone tell me how you like the asphalt track? Does it offer better traction than concrete?
Definitely!! Once you go black (asphalt), you don't go back! :p

Chris, sorry you couldn't be there. Hopefully we have another and you can try it out yourself. :)

Wahoo

Maximum Adrenalin Day!

Wow, it started early with the ortega/palomar run and ended well with a nice drive along PCH. In between we had mostly clear roads and great scenery as we checked out some new roads in the back country. East grade Palomar was fabulous with no traffic.

K1speed was a blast and went rather smoothly overall (in spite of some blue flag "read 'let the faster dude on your @ss pass' color blinded drivers) :D

Ryan's first time at this track and getting the fasted time and first place was commendable.

Theres something about going full throttle around 50% of the 2000 feet track with no more than 4 inches gap behind someone.. what a rush!!

I'm glad everyone had a great time and I'm also looking forward to another event here soon.

A few pics linked and posted here.

I've got the final race results here since their server had a hiccup and we did not get our final print outs.

You can log on and track your scores from the link on k1speed.com's website or here.

Back