• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kennedy Space Center - Eagle Shot

Per Rob's and others posts about the Eagle taking out an egret(sp) for dinner at the Kennedy Space Center.
I took a couple of pictures and although the camera is a 5mgpix I had it only on 3mg and was not zoomed or anything so detail is not at it's best. I was hoping the pix would be better when blown up... anyway here is what I have.
I saw another picture someone took right before the kill that was spectatular.. hopefully they will share.

Attachments

• DSC00136 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00136 (Medium).JPG
    76 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC00137 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00137 (Medium).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC00138 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00138 (Medium).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 252
Tapping onto what Vaughnd was saying here is my take on it. enjoy!

On the tour of the center, we were being drive around by a tour bus. At one point on the tour, the driver was nice enough to point out several points of interest along the way one being a Bald American Eagles Nest that appeared to be about 6 feet tall and about 3 feet wide. It was noted that this nest had been there for over 30 years and have birthed/nursed countless eagles. He also told us that this was not the time of the year to see an Eagles so we were happy just seeing the nest.

About 50 meters further down the road, we saw Bald American Eagle perched on top of a light post as if he was sitting on a dollar bill. We were all amazed but as we continued down the road at approximately 25 mph, the eagle took flight gliding next to our bus. It was gorgeous as his wingspan stretched about 6 feet wide. As we were all in awe over this rare site, the eagle dove down and attacked an Egress (bird indigenous of center Florida) see attached photos. Everyone on the bus was in SHOCK! We could not believe what we just saw. What amazes me was the fact that this eagle soared over 300 feet to a spot this meal none of us noticed until he came down on this poor defenseless bird hence the term "Eagle Eye"

Pretty remarkable seeing how rare the Bald American Eagle is.

eagle1.JPG

eagle2.JPG

nsxpo egress.jpg

Thanks for the summation guy's. I'm really gald someone captured that site. I

In my amazement I just held my 8MP camera in the "on" position at my side with my jaw open and my eyes wide astonished by what we all just saw happen:eek:.

BTW Alex do you have any higher resolution pictures? The funny part of this (since we weren't the Egret) was that we all just let out a sycronized yelp on the bus at the point of impact followed by laughter because none of us actually realized what the old bird was up to.

I really don't think we could survive out in the wilderness as our sense of the call of the wild is gone definitely gone. LOL

Very cool indeed. One of my highlights for this years' NSXPO...not that the rest of the event wasnt great :wink:

Back