• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyless card entry possible? like Mercedes?

A friend of mine just purchased a sl500. It has a really neat keyless entry where he just has a "credit card" like card which he keeps in his pocket. When he approcahes his car the doors unlock, when he leaves the car, the doors lock. No keys or remotes required. I think this would be great for the NSX. Anyone out there know if there is an aftermarket option available? I have been searching, but have been unable to find any.

I remember a guy that had a Corvette that did a similar thing with the key. As he approched the car, it would unlock automatically. I thought that was the coolest thing around.

yes, aftermaket. there is a proximity lock & locking system. I had it installed on G55. Black 'credit card' with red & white buttons.

sorry forgot the name of it call Jack @ Bay Car Stereo 415-221-9600.

Rich

I have an RL that does that. The doors do not unlock as you approach the car, but rather when you place your hand in the door handle. I like that better. To lock the car you wave your hand over the door handle and the door locks. It is pretty cool! :biggrin:

Nate in DC

How many hundreds of dollars are you guys willing to spend so you don't have to press a little button on your key chain?

Folks, this desire IS what drives the technology treadmill. The US can't compete with cheap plastic crap from China.

the same can be said of indoor plumbing, flush toilets and gas stoves. How hard it is to walk outside to relieve yourself or maintain a fire inside the house?

Not having these things is unthinkable nowadays, but equally silly when first gaining market share.

Broadband vs dial-up, I mean who needs more than 14.4K?

I was in charge of a team about 15 years go that deployed an enterprise PC/server network system in a gubbmint organization. We had to teach 12,000 people who had not seen a computer before about email. Email was the hardest concept to get across: thousands of people pronounced email "Stupid" and just "Call them and leave a message! Why does this have to be so difficult?" People were extremely frustrated at trying to learn it.

Now people get upset when you don't have email (or an answering machine for that matter)

You should support this RFID technology: it IS the future. The first adopters spend the money so we can all have it later inexpensively.

Here are the benefits of a properly done system:
1. No physical keys to keep, just a card in your wallet. This card can also be integrated into other security systems: home, work and computers.
2. Less things to maintain: walk toward car and drive. Walk away from car, it locks and it is immobilized.
3. Less mechanical parts = more reliable and [eventually] cheaper
4. Makes good paying jobs for engineers.

You should support this RFID technology: it IS the future. The first adopters spend the money so we can all have it later inexpensively.

1. No physical keys to keep, just a card in your wallet. This card can also be integrated into other security systems: home, work and computers.
2. Less things to maintain: walk toward car and drive. Walk away from car, it locks and it is immobilized.

+1

I have it on my wifes SL550 and I love it! It's not that I'm too lazy to push a button, or even that I'm trying to be cool! :cool: It's simply just a matter of convenience. If my hands are full and I can't reach into my pocket to get the key, I don't need to. You will never have to wonder if you forgot to lock your car, and you never have to worry about losing your key, because you carry it in your wallet. With ALL of my other cars, I am constantly searching for keys because my wife is always setting them down where ever she is at (instead of putting them on the key holder as she comes in the door). Make fun all you want, but it IS the technology of the future... :smile:

yes, aftermaket. there is a proximity lock & locking system. I had it installed on G55. Black 'credit card' with red & white buttons.

sorry forgot the name of it call Jack @ Bay Car Stereo 415-221-9600.

Rich

Does the kit look like the Hands Free Keyless Entry System RFKE-22? This kit can be obtained online for $135. I called the shop you referred to, the guy quoted me $299 + shipping, not really a good deal for me.

Now if it would also unlock the front door to my house it would really rock!

Does the kit look like the Hands Free Keyless Entry System RFKE-22? This kit can be obtained online for $135. I called the shop you referred to, the guy quoted me $299 + shipping, not really a good deal for me.

The one I had installed has a Black 'credit card' size remote with a red & white button on it and the letters TRC.

Gotta Link? then I can tell you if it is the same kit.
I think there are a few companies making stuff like this so I usually stick behind someone that I know will stand behind their work and stuff they install.

YMMV:smile: :cool: :smile:

(start pointless comment)
a few months ago i worked with a guy who did his thesis on RFID anti collision schemes. some nasty stuff (/pointless comment)
4 years back me and my bro were going to design a diy kit to provide keyless authorizing start systems like in the high end mercedes as it was the coolest thing since sliced bread, But ran into some issues. I'd love to have the system, mechanical keys are dumb :biggrin:

But ran into some issues.

I think that would be an understatement. I don't know how satisfactory the aftermarket implementations are going to be....

The RFID reception system has a high degree of integration with the interior and exterior body. Delphi was trying to do this with the vette a while back and ended up with a vastly scaled back system. The engineer said that running loops throughout the car was quite The Project.

I can see Daimler spending crazy money on R&D and $2K per $110K car for such a system, but I doubt it can be cost effective on a lesser price break.

It would be really interesting to see how Daimler implemented this amazing system....it is just groundbreaking in its scope and reliability.

Drew

i have a Q7 and have this system, very cool, worth paying the extra $.

it has not been mentioned, but its not only a matter of not pressing a button on the remote, but also not needing to turn the key to start the car. On my Q7, the system integrates keyless entry/exit, push button start/stop, and memorized the seat/mirrors/ac/etc setting of the remote that was on the car at time of exit... made sense ?? also, you still have the remote with buttons and the metal key.

AC

The one I had installed has a Black 'credit card' size remote with a red & white button on it and the letters TRC.

Gotta Link? then I can tell you if it is the same kit.
I think there are a few companies making stuff like this so I usually stick behind someone that I know will stand behind their work and stuff they install.

YMMV:smile: :cool: :smile:

I found this link
http://www.12voltdirect.com/product.aspx?prodid=RFKE-22#

Ha.. No Doubt! How many hundreds of dollars are you guys willing to spend so you don't have to press a little button on your key chain? :rolleyes:

Think of the money saved if I chip my nail and have to go have it filed and filled.
LimpWrist.gif
thumbsup.gif
new_shocked.gif

any more info on this? i would love to do this. my friend also has a benzo and i think its very neat. also my cousin has a newer lexus and you just need to have the keys in the car to start it. no need to insert the key or anything. which is another feature i want.

I like the idea of an OLED display. Not sure how well it works though. Trying to find a bluetooth/RFID proximity system myself.

Back