• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyless entry module transferability

Hey guys, I have a question. My 91 NSX did not come with the keyless option module. I am wondering if a keyless entry module from a leter NSX, say 96, would be able to be installed and work in a 91??

I think you asked the same question a few months ago,, get an after market alarm,, yea its gonna cost you around 900,, but spend the bucks,, and NO an alarm module from an accord wont work,, if you really wanna go cheap,, the 1993 Acura Legend brain will fit as the plugs are the same, and there are more of them in the junk yards,, same remotes as the NSX to,, gosh...thought they answered this the last few times you asked!!

Sorry if I am slow. Last answer I thought was more focusded on purchase of a keyless entry module from a supplier, i.e., new module. I understand that these are no longer produced and not available. My thought, while it might be lame, was to inquire if a module from a NSX being parted out would be able to be plugged in. If not, then I got it and will not trouble the Prime bainworks and just go aftermarket.

does yours have a brain in it? if it does take it out,, bring it to the dealship and see if they can order you remotes that would work with it,, then you just have to program it which is easy,, but using the brain from another year I dont know if it would work,, I am sure from 1991-1993 would be swapable,, and 1994-2001 Might be swapable and 2002-2005 would be to,, but not sure, hope this helps,, if your gonna go after market,, then I suggest checking out LOJACK's website,, they have great prices and you will get your car back if stolen,, LOJACK all the way baby!! LOL

After doing some research myself, I believe 91-94 have a differnent wire harness then 95-01 and 02-05 have a different keyless altogether. I have done some research on this and if you decide you to use 95-01, there might be some wire harnes mods that need to be done.

As far as finding a "Brain" and harness with no FOB remote, I just called a dealer and I gave then the number on the brain and the vin of my car and they got back to me with a price of $75.00 for a new programmed FOB which comes from Kenwood.

I have the "brain" in my car but no remote. Also, my alarm is not working either so I am not even sure the keyless would work if I had a remote. Does anyknow the amswer to this?

1991-1993 oem keyless entry is different from 1994-2001, and 2002-2005 is different still. If you can get the complete system (keyless entry module {brain}, wiring harness, and remotes) It can easily be installed in your car. I have done this myself - I installed a used oem keyless entry system in my 1994 that had been removed from another NSX for installation of an aftermarket keyless system. It works exactly as it is supposed to in conjunction with the oem security system. If you have a 1991-1993, that particular system is hard to come by, and Acura doesn't have any new ones left to sell. I am of the opinion that the keyless system from a 1991-1995 Legend will work on the 1991-1993 NSXes, but I haven't personally tried this so I can't confirm it. The main reason I am of this opinion is that the early keyless entry systems aren't car specific, ie, they aren't NSX keyless entry systems, they are only Acura keyless entry systems. The sticking point would be the wiring harness - the wiring harness would have to plug into the NSX system underneath the dash on the passenger side. But I think it would work, as again the keyless systems for those years aren't car-specific.

The only reason to get the oem keyless entry system is so that it will interface with your oem security system. Otherwise, get an aftermarket system. Me personally, I preferred to get an oem system so that it would work with my oem security system. But the aftermarket systems have a lot of nice features (flash the lights, beep the horn, roll the windows up and down, open the trunk, remote start) that would make them worth having.

Last edited:
Back