• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KW V3 vs. Type-r suspension. Which one is faster?

Which one is faster on track?

• Total voters
There is no doubting the NSX-R's performance on the track. The Type R suspension is quite good and has proved to be the best factory-equipped suspension with track driving in mind while not too bad of a compromise for street use. I personally really like the NSX-R's spring rates.

With that being said, KW Suspensions is one of the best racing suspension manufacturers in the world. Based in Germany, KW has the Nurburgring in their backyard and do extensive testing on that track. To my knowledge, they are one of the if not the only suspension company that has a 7-post rig that was purchased from an Ex-Formula 1 race team.

The OEM-equipped KW's on the Viper ACR currently holds the record at the Nurburgring as the fastest production car. It took KW a while to improve on the Nissan R35 GTR's suspension and after much development and testing, they have a suspension offering better than stock.

When KW took aim at the NSX-R's laptime around the Nurburgring, they meant business. After testing on the 7post rig as well as hot-lapping the famed racetrack, KW developed their V3 suspension with the primary goal to beat the NSX-R's laptime around the Nurburgring. And they succeeded.

To answer your question, since it was KW's goal to make a faster suspension than the NSX-R, their success would mean that the V3's superior double-adjustable damping fine tuned for the NSX platform is faster on track than the NSX-Rs. This is not at the cost of ride quality since the KW's also ride better than the NSX-R suspension.

For a more aggressive/emphasis on track use, you can put the KW "Clubsport" or even the NSX-R spring rates on the V3s. But out of the box, the V3s were designed to be more compliant, comfortable, and FASTER around a track than the NSX-R suspension.

At FXMD, we offer and sell the KW V3 as well as various suspension packages and also setup support and damper baselines:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124373

7-post rig testing:
KW7-postNSXFXMD.jpg

Nurburgring testing:
kw_NSX_nurburgring_2008FXMD.jpg

FXMD testing (3-way motorsport dampers:
0009.jpg

Billy,

Do you have any shock dynos of the NSX-specific V3's please?

Personally, I'm not a fan of shock dyno plots (as you may have noticed in my previous posts), but I'm curious what these look like compared to other KW's I've seen and driven on.

I haven't had a chance to try the NSX V3's, but personally I'm not a fan of germanic dampening philosophy (and JDM philosophy too which is the other extreme). Penske's that I can change the shim stack design are too expensive for me :smile:

Thanks,

Dave

I've never driven on the Type-R suspension and I'm sure it's a fantastic setup but I think the fact that you would normally tune your suspension for a track is evidence enough that a set suspension such as the NSX Type-R is at a disadvantage.

At this point it all depends on the driver too.

Without driving one and from what I understand, the KW is more compliant and would give a more reassuring feel around the track. The Type R is stiffer. A particular driver may be more cautious with the Type R than the KW, leading to quicker lap times with the KW.

But, loose is fast :wink: It all depends on your "risk" level.

Dave

Based in Germany, KW has the Nurburgring in their backyard and do extensive testing on that track. To my knowledge, they are one of the if not the only suspension company that has a 7-post rig that was purchased from an Ex-Formula 1 race team.

Here is KW suspension for NSX-R
(no V3 spec, it was the KW competition)
we have that in stock. :smile:
KW_4.JPG

KW_3.JPG

NSX-R suspension is too hard for the road and too compromised for the track... so not really worth it unless you are really into OEM/JDM.

KW V3 is great, although their Clubsport is a step further with the adjustable top mounts.

We use the Group N coilovers from Japan by the same manufacturer of the Super GT NSX dampers. Perhaps someone like Billy should get in touch and become a proper distributor in the states? Off the shelf, they were amazing.

Cheers,

Rob

NSX-R suspension is too hard for the road and too compromised for the track... so not really worth it unless you are really into OEM/JDM.

KW V3 is great, although their Clubsport is a step further with the adjustable top mounts.

We use the Group N coilovers from Japan by the same manufacturer of the Super GT NSX dampers. Perhaps someone like Billy should get in touch and become a proper distributor in the states? Off the shelf, they were amazing.

Cheers,

Rob

is it Quantum? that's the baller suspension in Japan.

Can't speak for the Type-R suspension, but I just took the KW V3 to the track and was very impressed. I had an instructor along who owns an NSX and he was floored by the performance.

So..... you won't go wrong with the V3 setup. (plus, you can get it corner-balanced, which you can't do with the Type-R)

Just my 2 cents.

hey rob, just an fyi, but billy runs KW suspension, so i doubt he would carry someone else too
Again, while KW sponsors FXMD's race car and while we sell KW products, we support, align/corner balance, and give track support to all brands of suspension as well as sell and promote JRZ suspension.

KW is a relatively new player in North America and i've been a fan of their products well before I even owned or even driven an NSX. Many S2000 owners track their cars and in that niche of the automotive community, the performance of various coilover brands are put head to head on a daily basis at HPDE, track days, time attacks, etc... I have provided a lot of track support for many KW-equipped S2Ks since the suspension has a huge range of adjustment which can greatly help the tuning ability of the car, but when set incorrectly, can hurt the performance of the car at this level of competition (compared to other coilovers who are oversprung and going full soft or stiff won't really affect the balance of the car that much).

With that being said, I promote products I like and feel that most of my comments are objective about any brand. If they tend to sway towards liking certain products and away from others, that might suggest one is better than the other.

I have no problem with selling other brands like Group N (but have no direct contacts or 'foot in the door') and havn't approached them cold-turkey yet.

Billy

I personally prefer the JRZ RS or Moton Club Sport for a little more money, but even so the KW V3 when properly tuned should be better than NSXR, and offer a good value for your money.

My JRZ RS have better ride quality than NSXR, and each click on rebound and compression makes a dramatic difference for on the track tuning and performance. I run a 550 front spring and 450 rear, but could easily go much higher due to the valve design of the JRZ's and Motons.

My good friend, karting teamate (champion), ex pro driver with national pro wins in spec racer and barber pro has KW3's on his S2k and is currently shopping for JRZ's or Motons.

Last edited:
Back