• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lancer Evolution.. woes...

Wow..

I must say.. i have never known that a modified Mitsu lancer evolution was so potent... ran across one on the fwy today.. looked tame enough.. he toyed with me a bit.. here and there.. when i finally stepped on it.. i pulled three car lengths ahead until.. zoom.. he flew by me almost as fast as a z06 would have... (My '95 has I/H/E, CT R&P, short gears).

When i pulled next to him at the next offramp, he mentioned he had a custom ball bearing turbo, running 30PSI of boost, and dynoing just shy of 500HP... and ran high 11s /120+ at his last time at the track. I don't know how much of that was BS.. but he passed me so fast it couldnt be that far off..

I think i need more go fast parts... - sigh -

If he's running 30 psi on his turbo, that car ain't gonna last long.

You can pretty much make anything go fast as hell. The problem is keeping the engine from coming apart. I've heard many stories of people jacking with their 4 cylinder engines, getting them real fast, and then having rods come popping out.

*knock knock*

Who's there?

Gerry Johnson turbo baby, thats who haha..Everything can be made fast, just depends how much money you have and what you put it on.

I remember the saying :

Speed is money. How fast do ya wanna go?

ravi:D

Yeah.. Gerry is - indeed - the man for turbos.. just not sure i have the patience to screw around with CA smog next year... Might get old tearing it apart.. then re-installing it.. plus having to do that every time a cop decides to pull me over and have an inspection done....

Well.. in my old Rx7 - happened quite often.. it was loud, obnoxious.. and fast..... back then i had more time to throw the cats back in and fool the smog folks enough to make it pass..

just had the new exhaust on the 'x' for a short time.. we'll see.. but its fairly conservative around these parts.. especially when i head over to saratoga and los altos.... i expect to get pulled over.. but going full turbo isnt a 2 hour job to undo.. so far as i can tell...

there is a eagle talon in my province that been consistently getting faster and faster..he is now at 11.30 @ 120 +mph..street tires and full interior daily driver....he has timeslips and witnesses that have seen him run....

his car has gone through all the upgrades...his car still has more potential....

the thing that makes turbo great for him at least is that he can chose when to crank the boost up..he can run factory boost all day long and when he feels like racing at the track then he cranks up the boost......

My friend has a gen 1 Talon sleeper. Looks totally stock and ugly. He is running low 10's @ 130+ The thing is a monster! This guy with a ZO6 got beat by a diff friends Eclipse last year pretty bad. He came back this year w/ NOS and beat the eclipse and had his big ego back til he got whooped by the ugly Talon!

But it is true you can make ANY car fast w/mods. There is a woody Dodge caravan that is turbo and runs 12's from milwaukee. He has a sticker on the back that says something like "this isn't your moms grocery getter"

The EVO motor has lots of potential even more than the Eclipses and Talons. The Neon SRT has a variant of that motor too.

That EVO may hold up pretty well, they run 19.5 lbs of boost stock. I don't think 30 would be too much of a stretch.

500 hp in an Evo may cause some problems, but I think you can get 400 hp or so with decent reliability.

When I was at the track, my friend brought his stock Evo and was running 13.2 at 106(?). AFAIK the car has ZERO mods.

my NSX (stock motor with Taitec JGTC exhaust) ran Mason's EVO a few times from a standstill, rolling start, etc and I had no problem taking him out every time. Just an fyi,
Aaron

500+ hp in an evo is no big deal...hopefully he has the appropriate internal work and engine management to handle those boost levels. If not it won't survive that much power for too long. My buddy's Civic is making around 400 hp to the wheels and is daily driven in that form. Not a single problem thus far. Kinda fun rolling around breaking off vettes and vipers in a Civic lol :D

Those EVO's are potent. But you are allowed to upgrade yourself. I would love to break off an EVO, but it would take about 18G to do it safely and suredly. Start saving your pennies! Sad thing is a $90 car should not have a problem like this. Not wanting to start the flame throwers, but it is true.

Yea... but re: the comments on blowing engines.. remember one thing though - most other cars are much cheaper to rebuild than an "X". one of the nice things about the rx7 FD was that you could completely rebuild a 2 rotor engine, soup to nuts, for under 2k... you could blow throute 3-4 of them 'learning' for every one NSX engine..

if you can get 20k miles out of a high performance engine.. and it only costs 2k to rebuild.. not a bad deal.. in retrospect ;)
I have a lot more respect for NSX's technology - and of course, the cost of rebuild - hence my hesitation to do 'stupid' things.... can't afford a 6-8k rebuild every 20k miles!

Owning a DSM (shares the same 4G63 engine as the Evo) 30psi would grenade the engine in about 10 minutes. You can run race gas and push 30 pounds but not on 93 or 91. However, even if he was pushing 500hp, that will last about 2 days on the street. From my experience, they're poorly built cars and tend to break very often. When you start throwing down monster numbers as those, breaking things is a daily occurance. Besides, who cares if an Evo beat you? At the end of the day, you're going home an NSX. End of story:D

spdntckt said:
Yea... but re: the comments on blowing engines.. remember one thing though - most other cars are much cheaper to rebuild than an "X". one of the nice things about the rx7 FD was that you could completely rebuild a 2 rotor engine, soup to nuts, for under 2k... you could blow throute 3-4 of them 'learning' for every one NSX engine..

if you can get 20k miles out of a high performance engine.. and it only costs 2k to rebuild.. not a bad deal.. in retrospect ;)
I have a lot more respect for NSX's technology - and of course, the cost of rebuild - hence my hesitation to do 'stupid' things.... can't afford a 6-8k rebuild every 20k miles!

Yes, but to someone who buys an Evo instead of an NSX, 2K is probably about the equivalent of 6K - 8K for an NSX owner. Think about it, who do you see driving the majority of the souped-up 4-bangers? Young guys, who probably have sunk most of their money into their cars.

All I can say is bring that EVO to Baltimore for a whoooopppiiiinnnn..

There is always a faster car than yours. If someone beats me, I don't get stressed about it. I am more interested in seeing what the other driver has done to their car. It is just fun. I used to have a really fast Porsche, and got whipped by an Eagle Talon. That is the breaks, just enjoy driving your car.

Rob

Last edited:
ctnsupra1 said:
Owning a DSM (shares the same 4G63 engine as the Evo) 30psi would grenade the engine in about 10 minutes. You can run race gas and push 30 pounds but not on 93 or 91. However, even if he was pushing 500hp, that will last about 2 days on the street. From my experience, they're poorly built cars and tend to break very often. When you start throwing down monster numbers as those, breaking things is a daily occurance. Besides, who cares if an Evo beat you? At the end of the day, you're going home an NSX. End of story:D

On stock internals absolutely. Just depends on whats done to the motor and what type of management he is running. The 4G63 is able to handle 375 to 400 hp on stock internals with proper tuning. But when it comes down to it the NSX is still in a leauge of its own. :p

Juice said:
Sad thing is a $90 car should not have a problem like this. Not wanting to start the flame throwers, but it is true.

Juice... you are right.. but remember an EVO with 500HP will also beat a Ferrari 360, 575, 911 Turbo, Z06 etc.. so it is not just the NSX that would lose here... Better to say your 90K car lost to it than a 270K car! :)

I own both a first gen. Eclipse awd and a NSX. We primarily work on DSM's. A stock first gen. motor properly tuned can easily handle 475 whp. And a second gen. can handle 425 ish at the limits. As far as a 500+ whp Eclipse(fully built) not lasting on the street, that is just not true, there are plenty of cars running that on the street... including myself and one of my employee's. It is sad to say though that when I want to drive my fast car I have to take the eclipse out. That situation should be flip flopped by the end of the winter:) Mo - Elite.

just a side note...how manty awd dyno all there where you guys live....

i have a awd stealth and i don't have exact HP numbers because there is no 4 wheel dyno here

Back