• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Larry's turbo kit....the new horizon!?!

Jack and I have not hooked up yet, we are still working on a good time to meet.

Paul

There is much debate in the BMW world re "when do u need an intercooler/aftercooler. The general consensus is 6 lbs and under...no intercooler is significantly beneficial. I take it Comptech did their homework as well. I might be mistaken but they don't offer an intercooler w/their setup.

Jeff

Jeff

Id really like to see someone fit a small intercoller (eg. like one off of a 1st gen eclipse) right down next to the passenger side vent. I think if that fan was pulled out, and a little bit of modification was done it would fit just fine. These intercollers have been used daily at 15 pounds and they work great... SOMEONE TRY THIS hell i think you can get one for under 50 bucks.

Originally posted by Cooper:
(eg. like one off of a 1st gen eclipse)

I'd just like to point out that DSM owner actually remove their intercoolers as an upgrade since the car makes more power with no intercooler than the stock intercooler. Try a MKIV Supra intercooler it can flow 500cfm without heat soak. At 20psi on the stock turbos (~425rwhp) it only heat soaked at 150+mph top end runs and held together until I installed my single turbo before the FMIC to run some tests unfortunatly at 20psi the intercooler blew teh end tanks. Since I have the old IC from my Supra I was going to try it out in preparation for FI but I am so lazy it's not funny.

------------------
Mike
'91 NSX

Originally posted by Racerxjling:
There is much debate in the BMW world re "when do u need an intercooler/aftercooler. The general consensus is 6 lbs and under...no intercooler is significantly beneficial. I take it Comptech did their homework as well. I might be mistaken but they don't offer an intercooler w/their setup.

First you need to keep in mind that SC and turbo are not identical in this respect. Turbos build the boost much earlier than the CTSC so you build up more heat. The turbo is also driven by exhaust, which heats the entire turbo unit (till the compressor side glows under hard running), which transfers some of that heat to the air passing through it. I've monitored my intake temp while on the dyno, and at 5psi the temp builds very fast.

However, even an SC running 5 psi WILL heat the intake air, and any drop in that temperature WILL pay dividends in higher HP, or at least higher potential HP if tuned accordingly. (or a greater margin of safety before detonation) Is it a cost effective option? That's harder to say, but I would say probably yes if it can be done without excessive effort. That the CTSC doesn't have one just tells me that their homework suggested the extra effort would not pay off in terms of profit. If they had a cooler they could probably run slightly leaner and/or retard the timing less to get more power without additional risk.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 04 November 2002).]

I have one too . . a Larry Turbo . . its the only 3.2 Liter so far. It is great . . . like Jackson says.

Like several other, I am looking/reading about Larry’s and Gerry’s turbo setups to see how it all plays out. You are the first 3.2 from Larry that I know of. I read the post about it being good but, was the added performance THAT noticeable? Is the setup the same as the 3.0? I am guessing the only difference in the setup is the tuning? Are you running 6 lbs also? Did you do any motor work? Prices? Sorry, I don’t mean to rapid fire the questions but the suspense is killing me.
biggrin.gif

Jackmac -

I'm new to NSX Prime. In fact this is my first post. A few months back I bought a White/Black '93. I visited Larry's shop and will most likely be back when it's time for service/mods.

I live in South OC and work in Irvine near El Toro. I'd be happy to meet you sometime to take some Digital Pics of your setup. If we happen to go for a ride so I can experience the 'thrill' of FI that would be great too! I can't make the 14-Nov meeting at Larry's, but can meet up with you before then if you'd like. Email me if you're interested.

------------------
traNSfiXed: Rendered motionless, as with amazement, or awe.

Chirs,
You have to show up at the upcomming meeting. I want to hear your opinions about the new pipings!!

TransFixed,
First of all, welcome to the forums. I will be more than glad to give you a ride on my car. I might have some time next week before the meeting but if not I guess I will see you at the meeting.

Ppl, I am going to hook up with Paul (HPV 100) in Riverside this comming Sat. and he is going to take some dig. photos of the setup....so expect to see some photos this comming Sat. evening. As for now, take care.
JACK

Originally posted by jackmac:

Ppl, I am going to hook up with Paul (HPV 100) in Riverside this comming Sat. and he is going to take some dig. photos of the setup....so expect to see some photos this comming Sat. evening. As for now, take care.
JACK

Nice, Finally!

Jackmac,

Please post pictures of the exhaust. Exspecially where the turbo goes. From what I have heard you will only have one exhaust outlet. I am interested in seeing how this looks on a NSX.

Thank you

Hi ppl,
I acutally hooked up with Paul today (HPV 100) and was able to take some shots of the setup and the exhaust. Paul should email me the pics pretty soon. Can someone help me post some pics on this tread?
Thanks,
JACK

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
Images for Jackmac

Hmmm, I wonder how long before things in the engine compartment start melting from the heat. Yikes! Is there any plan to add a heat shield to protect the plastic pieces, wiring harness, fuel injectors, etc.

Bary,
There used to be heat sheilds but I took them off for now. Drove my car for 6 hours non-stop and it seemed to be holding up with the heat. Still running strong after 10 months.
JACK

Back