• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

lasik, has anyone had it?

just wanted to know if anyone had lasik done? i had my eyes done a few weeks ago and i was wondering when all this blurry stuff goes away at night? it was successful and now i can see. im am especially happy with the price i paid. i tell everyone i got it done in a van in a back alley since i only paid 600 bucks both eyes and my insurance doesnt even lasik. i figured i lived in california and if anything goes wrong, theres always a suit coming along because nothing is set in stone in california which is good and bad.

$600 total? Yikes... I think I'd probably pay more for something like this just to be sure. lol

Seems to me that applying lasers to one's eyes is not something one should do "on the cheap".

My wife had lasik, but we paid a fair amount more than $300/eye. Almost immediately after the procedure she was seeing 20/20, and after a couple months of dryness (lots of eyedrops) her eyes are perfectly fine, with no blurriness or other unusual visual artifacts.

yup 600 both eyes, the next day i saw 20/15, however my eyes are healing. now im at 20/25 which is still good from before. just wondering on the halos and stuff at night. some said it lasted a year for them, some said a fwd months. just wanted as many opinions as possible

I had lasik done last year by Dr. William Boothe and i have no idea what you are talking about? Halos? I had a slight sensitivity to light for about 24 hours but that was it. Aside from that the only time my vision was blury was right after i applied fresh drops and i only used them because it was recomended and not because i felt i needed them.

I would be VERY worried about any place that charges so little for this procedure. $600? I paid over $4k and that was when they were running a holiday special and Dr. Boothe has done more lasik than any other surgeon in the country. I've heard people having it done for as little as $1k an eye but $600 for both eyes seems like something only a hack would charge when the going rate is more than twice that amount. I would get a second opinion on your eyes from a skilled lasik surgeon immediately. I have heard horror stories of people getting botched lasik and permanently loosing their vision. Theres some female comedian who runs around preaching about it as she has had several botched lasik surgeries on her eyes.

Unless there is more to this $600 story i can't believe you would risk your eyes on someone who was doing the procedure for a 1/4 of the usual going rate. I mean would you take your NSX to a place that does $2 oil changes and trust that they are doing it right? I wouldn't.

Lasik for $600 = something not right.:confused:

Last edited:
yup 600 both eyes
Did your doctor looking something like this?

222px-Dr_Nick.png

Re: Night vision OK......now.

Yes, the halos should go away, but maybe not immediately. I had it done 11 years ago by the most experienced doctor in area for over $4k. The techniques and equipment have come a long ways from then I'm sure.

He said I would and I did have halo's for well over a year. They went away completely after 2 years and now I have no problems with night vision and had forgotten that was ever an issue.

Did your doctor looking something like this?

222px-Dr_Nick.png

Hi everybody! :biggrin: Hi Dr. Nick! :tongue:

Without getting into too much detail, I did a S-load of research before I did my Lasik procedure. I ended up going with the most advanced and up to date procedure available at the time as well as the most experienced doctor I could find. Afterall, I only have one pair of eyes, and I wasn't going to chance anything. The entire procedure cost me $5,000 and it was worth every penny.

My doctor, who is very, very, very experienced told me all the pros and cons of all of the different types of procedures. I even asked him about the discount ($300 per eye) procedures and why his was so expensive in comparison. He was honest and said a lot of it was the initial, pre and post follow up appointments. He actually attended each one (over 8) instead of some assistant and did all the testing and diagnosis. However, a few things we did on my eyes that made it a more advanced procedure as well. The first is called custom wave form Lasik. Each eye is unique in that it has it own defects, peaks, valleys etc. Custom wave form Lasik actually 3-D maps your eye and custom tailors the laser to better match the shape of your eye. Each cut is unique to each eye and the end result is that you get better clarity and night vision. Part of where halos, blurs and other problems occur is where there is a defect in the eye. Also some machines are not able to cut far enough around the cornea. The result is that when a standard Lasik machine cuts a standard template on your eye, these defects as well as limitations on the machine result in night time halos and blurs. The custom waveform laser takes these into account. As a result, you get clearer vision and better night vision. I can tell you from my own experience, the next day I was seeing 20/20 and a few days later my vision improved to 20/15. Not only that but the sharpness and clarity improved as well. When I wore contacts, my vision was 20/20 but I see with much better clarity and depth then I ever did before. It's like I got HD vision now. Also, my night vision improved vastly. Everything is crystal clear and very sharp. I do not get blurs, halos, or glare. In fact, it's much easier to drive at night now, then before I had the procedure. If you are considering doing Lasik, I highly recommend looking into custom wave form Lasik. It is quite expensive now, but I feel in a few years it will come down in price and be the standard for which Lasik is done.

Since we are discussing it, has long do the results typically last? My vision is still 20/20 but one eye is far sighted and the other is near sited. What happens is by the end of a busy day my eyes are extremely fatigued. If I focus, I can see fine, but if I just "relax", my vision becomes quite blurry. In the future I was considering one of these procedures as due to what I described above, often my night vision is sacrificed (end of day, fatigued, etc.).

Back