• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

leaking clutch hydraulics

I've had a slow leak somewhere in my clutch for the last few months... I usually notice it if the car has been sitting for more than 2 weeks or so.

At that point, the clutch pedal is VERY soft, and the clutch fluid reservoir is empty (or close to it).

Temp fix is to monitor clutch fluid levels, and add as necessary. So long as I keep the fluid level OK, clutch seems to work as normal, at least for street driving... normal slip, release point, etc.

Longer-term fix is to have a tech / dealer check it out. Hopefully I can defer this ($$?) to the off-season.

###########

Questions:
1) have others experienced this? what is the common "problem" ?? leaking clutch master cylinder ??

2) so long as I keep the fluid levels OK, is there any harm in driving the car ?? Clutch behaves "like normal" as far as I can tell.

On my MG, the clutch slave cylinder needed rebuilding more often than the master. NOTE: A leaking cylinder (master or slave) can fail, leaving you stranded!

On the NSX, the slave cylinder is on the Front of the engine up at the top of the transmission. Look for fluid on the transmission housing. You can also pull back the rubber boot and see if it's wet where the slave cylinder links into the transmission housing.

Aaron

One more thing: I don't think they sell rebuild kits for the NSX. On my MG, new slaves were around $40, and master around $90 -- I don't know prices on the NSX.

[This message has been edited by aaronb (edited 15 September 2002).]

Get ready to replace BOTH at the same time too. Mine began to leak and the dealer wanted $400 just for the main unit. I dont remember how much the rear was. The labor was $200 for both.

I ended up getting used ones for $200 and did it myself.

Good Luck!

-Swish

yep definitly your master or slave cylinder.I have not dealt with it on my nsx but a word of caution.if you replace the master also replace the slave.often time a slave cannot handle the new master and that makes the slave go.bad news is the slave is often in with the clutch costing excessive labor to replace so if it is the slave have your clutch inspected at the same time just in case
david
ps I have not verified and do not know where the slave is on the nsx
guys if im wrong about replacing slave when replacing master please chime in.but have seen it on lots of cars but not nsx.I am going on past experience with other cars

I just got my master and slave changed last night. Parts were under $200 for both master and slave thru Gunn Acura. A lot of work that I couldn't do as I watched the NSX tech work on it.

I'd rather refresh this thread than start another one.

Last night I went out for a drive.
When I started the car, I noticed that the clutch would not disengage until I fully depressed the clutch pedal.
I assumed the clutch fluid to be low and checked the level. Sure enough, it was low so I filled up the reservoir and it works fine again.

Since this is supposed to be a closed circuit, this should mean that it is leaking somewhere. However, I could not find any drops or traces of any fluid under the car at all. Yesterday, the clutch worked fine and I had no problem at all and the car had been standing still for only 1 day.

If the clutch-circuit is leaking somewhere, what is the right place to look for any drops ??

Clutch Master Cylinder is leaking and fluid is running down under the front carpet. Check above the clutch pedal where is will be wet and running out;).

About 80% of NSX's I see have this issue if they are 50K+ miles or more.

HTH,
LarryB

I'm still wondering why people don't take action several months the fluid level changes. :confused:

larry noticed this issue the first day i brought my car to him and today i noticed my clutch wouldnt come back up after i depressed it and none of the gears won't engage. i had noticed while changing the tranny fluid that the master cylinder or is it the slave cylinder had oil deposits all over it(the one in front of the engine). that was about a week and half ago.
so i guess i'm ordering a slave and master cylinder.

It's either the salve or the master, or maybe both.
No big deal to replace yourself. Parts new, about 200.00.

Hello, i also had a leak in the clutch hydraulics. First i thougt it was one of the cylinders. Turned out to be the flexible line between the slave cylinder and the metal line. It had a small cut, so it was an easy and cheap repair.

I had a pin hole in the rubber hose back at the plunger, hard to find but easy to fix

I got them both from Dali Racing.
Master was 106.00 and the slave was 81.00.
187.00 and about 10.00 for shipping.

where do i get them for 200?

did you inspect the rubber hose near the engine? let somebody push the clutch pedal and look very goog with a flash licht. I also was ready to buy a new slave cylinder but the mechanic found out it was only the hose and it saved me a lot of money

I just got my master and slave changed last night. Parts were under $200 for both master and slave thru Gunn Acura. A lot of work that I couldn't do as I watched the NSX tech work on it.

Funny, I just had mine changed out yesterday, both master and slave. Bought the parts from the same place. Clutch pedal feels much better now, and engages much closer to the floor than before.

If it engages closer to the floor, it may not be fully bled. Is your clutch pedal end play more then before? If so, after a few 100 pumps it will return, just check your fluid level:).

The pedal position, end play, and grab height should not have changed at all when you change these parts, unless it was adjusted, which is not necessary when you change these parts.

HTH,
LarryB

If it engages closer to the floor, it may not be fully bled. Is your clutch pedal end play more then before? If so, after a few 100 pumps it will return, just check your fluid level:).

The pedal position, end play, and grab height should not have changed at all when you change these parts, unless it was adjusted, which is not necessary when you change these parts.

HTH,
LarryB

Yes, It seems to grab sooner than before. Thanks for the info, I will have to keep an eye on the fluid level. I appreciate your posts, its nice to have experienced people on these forums. If I could buy you a beer, I definately would.:smile: Cheers

Back