• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED Lightbars legal?

I have a Chevy Avalanche that I am adding some LED light bars to, Probably do cubes under bumper or flush mount in rear, for additional back up lights. My question is on the front, if I mount LED light bars under the front bumper or bull bar pointing basically down not into oncoming drivers eyes, would it be legal? I am getting older, and have trouble seeing further out from the headlights. I have upgraded the headlight bulbs and oem driving lights to brighter HID bulbs, but its not enough. I would consider multiple cubes or 7 to 20" light bars in front, any suggestions? I thought just mount them up and point at at an angle to would not blind other drivers. Thanks:cool:

The problem is, if you point them at any angle higher than the standard low-beam headlight beam pattern, they are likely to blind oncoming drivers. (The standard low-beam headlight beam pattern normally illuminates the road for roughly 500 feet ahead of the car, which is usually sufficient for nighttime driving.)

The US needs DRL laws like most other countries. DRLs are typically high beams at half brightness. You can see them on a two direction highway many KMS away. They really add to safer driving. When I drive in the US, I really notice it is more difficult to see on coming traffic in many instances.
Yes, when using LEDs, be careful with the brightness.

Yes, DRLs would help but drivers here in the US have no clue that DRLs are not proper headlights and 9 out of 10 drivers never bother switching on headlights. If the US mandated DRLs, they should mandate auto on headlights as well.

Yes, DRLs would help but drivers here in the US have no clue that DRLs are not proper headlights and 9 out of 10 drivers never bother switching on headlights. If the US mandated DRLs, they should mandate auto on headlights as well.
You nailed it! It can be an issue. We do have a bit of this problem here. The real issue is some new cars have displays instead of old style dash boards. Stupid drivers have no idea if their headlights are on or off. Some drivers are oblivious of what is going on around them.

There are only two types of drivers. Stupids and Crazys. I really do hope I am leaning towards the Crazy side.

Anyone on here do led lightbars? on trucks, cars, etc....?

Back