• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leg and head room

PG

Registered Member
I don't own an NSX, but I imagine it frequently, and it will be so. Eventually.

I'm 6'6" tall, and have had trouble fitting in small cars before. I haven't yet had the opportunity to drive an NSX, but I imagine that frequenly too.

The FAQ here has a story about a 6'4" person who has more than enough room, and a story about some lunatic who hacked up the seat for an inch of headroom.

I don't particularly relish the idea of buying an NSX, and then stopping off at 7-11 on the way home to pick up some razor blades and duct tape.

OTOH, I don't want to hit a bump and give myself a compression fracture of my spine when my head whacks the roof.

So - if there are any unusually tall people here, I'd be interested in hearing your perception of the amount of space you have.

Thanks.

I am 6'3", with a long upper body versus legs, and with the stock seats my hair rubs the headliner on my Targa. I do not find that changing the recline of the seat makes any difference due to the ridge around the targa piece reducing headroom toward the rear of the roof. Dali Racing makes a replacement seat cushion just for tall people, but it only comes in black.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

I'm 6'6" and got my NSX in January. It's a tight fit but the car is so great I had to buy it anyway. I had to do the seat cushion surgery as described in the FAQ... otherwise I'd have a permanent kink in the neck. It's really not that hard to do and it's easily reversible. I rode to Daytona and back last month (7-8 hours each way) with just a towel in the seat bottom and it was comfortable for me. Doesn't look too fancy though. I just got the cushion from Dali Racing this weekend and it looks much better than the bare metal
smile.gif

Your mileage may vary... one more inch in the torso and I don't think it would work for me. The seat cushion trick only gets you one-two inches extra headroom.

bryan

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit disproportionately long in the legs compared to my upper body. Doctors are always asking me if I've been screened for Marfan's syndrome. :)

It sounds like headroom is the limiting factor for tall people - legroom seems to be OK, at least on the driver's side. I managed to fold myself into a subcompact for a few unfortunate years in high school & college, so I should fit OK.

Is there any difference in headroom between the coupe and the T-top?

legroom seems to be OK, at least on the driver's side.

Legroom on the passenger's side is rather cramped even for those of normal stature.

I am 6' 2" with long legs. I have only driven a 1998, don't know if the year makes a difference. The NSX is about the only car I have ever driven that actually has more leg room then I need. Good Luck

I am 6' to 6'1" and proportionate leg / torso. Normal driving I can only move the seat back another 1.5", so doing the math 6'4" wont fit assuming same positioning.

My head hits the roof with a helmet, forcing me to lean back further than I want at the track, but I make it work.

Personally, I thought the 996 had more leg and head room, but I could be wrong.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

I am 6' to 6'1" and proportionate leg / torso. Normal driving I can only move the seat back another 1.5", so doing the math 6'4" wont fit assuming same positioning.

Wait a minute; that 1.5" is only the difference in legroom. So if someone is 3" taller than you - so that maybe his legs would be 1.5" longer and his torso would be 1.5" taller - wouldn't he still fit?

Legroom on the passenger's side is rather cramped even for those of normal stature.

Well, my wife is only 5'0" so she'd have room to stretch out on the passenger's side. My extra 18" of height could just be a convenient reason for me to drive every time we go someplace together. :)

Originally posted by PG:
My extra 18" of height could just be a convenient reason for me to drive every time we go someplace together. :)

This does come up a lot, and it really varies how you are proportioned.

If you say you are primarily long in the legs (and not a very broad build), I would think you should be fine. I am 6'5" and actually fit quite nicely with no modifications to the seat. If anything I maybe wish the steering wheel would telecope out another inch or two, but for driving comfort, I have no problems at all.

Back