• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's talk clutches

Well, Honda really rear ended us with discontinuing the Oem twin disk clutch for the early models.
I wanted to start a new thread to see what people might use when their clutch burns out.
I bought my car with a ct power grip 1 which I loved and hated at the same time. I loved how it hooked up, I hated how the pedal felt and the chatter it made was embarrassing to say the least. Seriously, I do not know how some of you guys with fancy clutches and diffs deal with the noises that come with it?
I currently have the Oem 91 twin disk with only about 5,000 miles. My car is also low boosted and the Oem clutch handles the power flawlessly. Meaning,,, I know how to drive a clutch.:smile:

So, let's talk clutch. What will everyone be swapping to? The later model single disk? SOS? Exedy? Or are you a lover of noisey chatter and looking into OS Giken? What will everyone do for that Oem feel and engagement?
I do miss a single disk clutch. It is easier to feel it grab over a twin. But the twin shifts much more smoothly.
I am curious to see what people will run on a slightly higher than factory horsepower motor? It seems the SOS clutches started off strong but then had issues according to reviews here. FYI I have never ran the SOS so this is only my take on it. These guys at SOS will probably soon be the only people left providing parts so I cannot and will not trash talk them. But I am still curious as to how they perform. Let's hear what everyone thinks.

Sooooo...does this mean that for my 1999, I should buy a spare clutch before Honda decides to discontinue them, too, in a few years?

Probably....

Yeah right now it looks as though the later model single disks run around 2500 bucks for the full assembly minus new bearings. I remember them being much cheaper a few years ago. My twin disk was 2100 dollars about 3 years ago.

Last edited:
clutch kits are readily available anywhere you dont have to buy a Honda one to have a clutch that is practically the same in every way

clutch kits are readily available anywhere you dont have to buy a Honda one to have a clutch that is practically the same in every way
Okay, links please? I know the ct clutches were made by Sachs but who makes the Oem Honda ones?

Okay, links please? I know the ct clutches were made by Sachs but who makes the Oem Honda ones?
I am sure you have a local parts supplier who sells clutches, brake rotors drive shafts etc and you take your old worn out clutch in and and they will sell you a clutch kit and probably take yours as a trade so they can refurbish yours and sell again. You dont have to buy the OEM one you can get a refurbished one which is probably rebuilt better than original its how most cars get parts for exactly this sort of situation, this link is not going to do you much good but its where I got my driveshafts refurbished and have bought clutches from before including my NSX basically take your old one in you get a core refund of $250 and pick up a new clutch for just over $1000. http://www.adl.co.nz/About-Us/
I had a SOS Sport 350 that fell apart I took it to them they sold me a refurbished one with a better pad material but basically the same clutch, it feels the same does the same thing but has more clamping force and cost me $1050 plus my Sport 350 clutch
photos of my rebuilt 350 clutch
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• clutch rebuilt SOS 350 (2).jpg
    clutch rebuilt SOS 350 (2).jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 427
  • clutch rebuilt SOS 350 (1).jpg
    clutch rebuilt SOS 350 (1).jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 418
  • clutch SOS 350 rebuilt (1).jpg
    clutch SOS 350 rebuilt (1).jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
The OEM clutch set (22000-PR7-305) is still available out of Japan. $1655.60 + $255 shipping. A little more than SOS's Sport 275, but if you want OEM you can still get it.

www.amayama.com is where you can find most any NSX part that is no longer sold in the U.S.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I just picked one up from A.S.M. I'm a long way from needing one, but when I do, I'll have it. Starting to clear some space in the garage for parts storage. This is getting ridiculous. As much as I like Honda and their products, this irks the hell out of me.

Thanks A.S. Motorsport for posting here. So the discontinuation is definately happening then? We are just using up what is left of production?

Back