• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lexus & Acura CL Forums

I'm not sure it is good, but here is one for Lexus:
http://www.clublexus.com/

Have to tell you, I bought 2 Lexus's in Feb, 2000 (a new ES300 and a new LX470). The ES is a dream. Smooth, quiet and perfect for what it is intended. Gave it to my father-in-law.

The $60,000 LX was a piece of s**t. I was never more happy than the day I finally got rid of it--took >$8,000 loss. Lexus of America and Lexus of Rockville, MD (the crappy dealer) were nothing like the appearances they try to push on the general public. They are no different than GM. I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ANOTHER LEXUS.

My purchase of our NSX from Rick Case Acura (Ft Lauderdale) on the other hand was a pretty good experience.

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

we're on our 2nd lexus now and i don't think i'd buy anything BUT another lexus. our 1st was an LS400 that we put ~80K miles on without any real issues that i can recall; this one is a GS400 and, 30K miles into it, ditto... nothing but japanese reliability and lexus quality.

interesting that you had such a hard time with their SUV (that's what the model was, right?). the last time i had my nsx serviced there was a guy there with an acura suv who said it was a piece of s**t, too; ditto for a friend's new bmw-thingie. perhaps these are just vsn1.x issues they've got to work out?

as for my nsx... typical honda quality ;>)

For the CL you can go to...
http://www.acura-cl.com/

Don't expect the same mature level of conversation that you get here. The CL has a much wider demographic than the NSX and the subject matter demonstrates that. Most things on the board are measured based on how much "ass they can kick". Didn't know an "ass-kick" was a unit of measurement.
smile.gif

Anyway, there is still a lot of good information on that board.

As for Lexus - I don't mind Lexus, but I think their cars are over priced. Compare the features of a TL and an ES300 and then look at the difference in price. My brother has an RX300 and we have an Acura MDX. The RX300 costs more than an MDX and I can find no reason why. The MDX is bigger, stronger, and has the same features. Plus, it looks better. I'll stick with Acura.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

I don't mind Lexus, but I think their cars are over priced. Compare the features of a TL and an ES300 and then look at the difference in price.

The difference is much more apparent when you compare cars equipped the same. Acura has a tendency to include many features as standard equipment - leather, HID lights, moonroof - that Lexus (and BMW and others) charge extra for. Make sure you're comparing apples with apples.

Hey Ken,

I'm not sure what you mean. I thought I was comparing them evenly. The fact that Acura has more standard features than a Lexus (or a BMW) is exactly my point.

For example, a TL has heated seats and the in-dash 6 CD changer standard. It costs about $32K (Type-S). The base price of a standard ES300 is $31.5K. If you want heated seats and an in dash changer, you have to pay an additional $2800. So, to get a comparably equipped Lexus you will pay about $3K more. The TL has more horsepower and in my opinion is a much better looking car. Any way you look at it, the TL Type-S is a better buy than the Lexus.

You can do the same comparison with a CL Type-S and an IS300 or an MDX and an RX300.

If I am not making a fair comparison, please let me know where I am getting confused.

Matt

NSXForEver,

I think that's exactly what Ken was talking about. Acura's seem to come so well equipped with standard equipment, that you've really got to check a number of boxes to get a similarly equipped Lexus.

When I was looking to purchase a GS400 two years ago, I couldn't believe I needed to fork down more money to get a sunroof, heated seats, and HIDs. My (recently purchased) TL had that stuff standard. I was dumbfounded that I needed to pay extra for that on a $50K car.

Oh well, bought myself an NSX instead.
biggrin.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

FuryNSX,

I think you are right. I was confused (happens a lot). Now that I re-read Ken's response a couple of times, I think he was agreeing with me.

I had a 2001 CL-S before I got my NSX. I have to admit I miss that car. Wish I could afford to have both - I would go get another one. I test drove an RSX Type S a few weeks ago and I liked it. However, they are in the same situation as the MDX. There aren't enough of them being made and there is a backlog of orders. They told me the earliest I could get one is January. Just like the MDX (we got one of those in August after a 4 month wait), they won't come off the sticker price - at least it didn't seem like they would.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

Matt,

The next time you are interested in a NEW Acura, call Bob Kristoff or Rich Ragone at Rick Case Acura in Ft Lauderdale (954) 587-1111. These guys are straight shooters.

I got a great deal on my NSX and have called them about a new CL. The numbers are real good (I compared to the 3 local Acura dealers in my area) and my wife and I are considering another trip late in the year.

One-way tickets are cheap and the drive home is great.

------------------

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the info. I have a leased 1997 Explorer for my winter car this year. However, I have to turn it in next April. So, I will be looking for another car next spring. I will definitely check with them before I make a decision.

By the way, I noticed an ad in the market place on this site dated Sept. 5 that looked like your car. Was that yours?

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 26 October 2001).]

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
Hey Rick,

...By the way, I noticed an ad in the market place on this site dated Sept. 5 that looked like your car. Was that yours?

Matt

Yep, Financial reasons may mean I have to sell. Hope not.

------------------

any good ones for Lexus RX ??

tabasco said:
I'm not sure it is good, but here is one for Lexus:
http://www.clublexus.com/
Old thread, but no newer ones to "resurrect"... :(

Am considering getting a used RX300 (compact/midsize Lexus SUV):
- any folks with experience with these?
- any good forums worth recommending? Looking for:
a) changes by model year
b) buyers' guide type info

TIA

Well. I belong to Clublexus.com for my Lexus stuff, and Acuraworld.com for my Acura stuff.

As for the comparison between Lexus and Acura, it is true the Acura includes more standard features, but the Lexus over all is a better car IMHO. I'm not talking about the TL vs ES or the TSX vs IS as I would take the Acuras over them, but once you get to the higher end cars like the RL vs the GS or LS than there really is no comparison. Sure, the Lexus cost more at that point, but the Acura can't compete by then.

IN the case of the RX330 vs the MDX, my 04 RX330 was cheaper than an 03 MDX. We were looking at both and I probably would have gotten the MDX, but the 04 RX330 had HIDs which the MDX does not have, has power rear hatch which the MDX does not have, and was a bit cheaper than the MDX at least here in my state. I'm happy with my RX330, however, I do wish Acura would at least offer HIDs in the MDX. That would have made the decision much harder.

At this point, I'll be buying Lexus, unless the 04 TL and new RL really proove themselves again. I'm a die hard fan of Acura from 86-95. I've owned 5 Acuras (1 Integra, 3 Legend Coupes, and my NSX) so I'm very much an Acura lover, but the Lexus has them beat for now. I've also done the BMW thing and wont go back untill they get their reliability up to where Lexus and Acura are.

I don't have any experience with the Lexus LX470 like Tabasco has, but that car is too trucklike for me so I probably would agree with him. The GS and LS cars are really great though. At least in my state, the Lexus dealership and customer service by far is better than the Acura and Honda dealers.

Last edited:
I have a 99 LX470 and couldnt be any happier! I've never had to do anything except the oil change . I get a free loaner with free gas and unlimited mileage evrytime. I've never experience any problem yet - very reliable!

The $70k is all worth it. I'd buy another LX470 if and when they redesign it. :D :D

JD powers and Assoc. awarded LEXUS "THE BEST" in Luxury vehicle categories.

http://www.jdpa.com/awards/industry/winners.asp?StudyID=625

BEST SELLING LUXURY BRAND - THREE YEARS IN A ROW!!!

January 3, 2003

Lexus Retains Crown Of Best-Selling Luxury Brand For Third Year In A Row - Reports Record-Breaking Vehicle Sales For 2002

January 3, 2002 - Torrance, CA - With record-breaking 2002 annual sales, Lexus retained its crown as the nation's No. 1 selling luxury brand for the third consecutive year. The automaker today reported total year-end sales of 234,109, up 4.5 percent over last year's record-breaking number.

"While we never make being No. 1 in sales a priority, it is truly a testament to our dealers and the quality of our products that we scored the hat trick," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "The sales title gives us great momentum going into 2003."

In addition to all-time best-ever calendar-year-to-date (CYTD) sales, Lexus passenger car sales also enjoyed a record sales year, up 9.1 percent compared to 2001 CYTD totals, to 149,725 units. The ES 300 was the passenger car CYTD sales leader with 71,450 sedans sold, an increase of 59.3 percent over the same period last year. The SC hardtop convertible also recorded best-ever annual sales of 14,462.

Lexus also scored an all-time best-ever sales month in December with 24,845 units sold, surpassing the previous best-ever mark set in August 2002. Record-breaking December light truck sales of 11,436 units, up 36.9 percent over last December, were ignited by sales of 8,280 RX 300 sport utility vehicles (SUV). The LX 470 full-size SUV was up 66.1 percent for the month, and the all-new Lexus GX 470 mid-size luxury SUV debuted in December with sales of 2,190 units.

In addition to record-breaking new vehicle sales, Lexus Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle sales hit record highs in 2002. Lexus CPO sales of 39,707 were up 17.7 percent over 2001 calendar year totals.

http://www.lexus.com/about/awards/ls.html

Last edited:
Back