• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Linkedin

Sounds about right. Nothing meaningful in about 3 yrs for me on there. Everyone does it because "you're supposed to" and hopefully it will help get a job. Have yet to see tangible results.

I've gotten some benefit out of it. I would've gotten the same connections and link via FB too, but LinkedIn gives it a little more "grown up credibility" I guess. I think its usefulness depends on industry. I wouldn't be surprised if those in high tech fields get more out of it.

Many finance and technology firms leverage it to find employees. I can't speak for other industries. HR employees will often scan linkedin profiles for additional information about a candidate. It can be useful but you have to do some work on your end. That being said, its market cap of 10 billion or something ridiculous along those lines still shocks me.

I think it's a smart idea. I only add people I've met in person.
I use it as kind of a rolodex. I can look up people I haven't talked to in a year or two to contact them, I can see who knows other people, etc.
No negatives that I know of. Just remember anything you do on the internet pretty much stays forever.

Many finance and technology firms leverage it to find employees. I can't speak for other industries. HR employees will often scan linkedin profiles for additional information about a candidate. It can be useful but you have to do some work on your end. That being said, its market cap of 10 billion or something ridiculous along those lines still shocks me.

Agreed. Specific to the tech industry, I've seen multiple credible HR sources claim that LinkedIn is quickly becoming their most important resource for finding employees. Even if you're not currently looking for a job, it's a good idea to keep it updated and build your network for the time when you might need it. Speaking of which, I should probably update mine!

I use it as kind of a rolodex. I can look up people I haven't talked to in a year or two to contact them, I can see who knows other people, etc.
No negatives that I know of. Just remember anything you do on the internet pretty much stays forever.

Two negatives:

1) LinkedIn is only about as secure as every other store of personal data, i.e., not very. LinkedIn was pwned last year and a significant number of their users' personal data was compromised. I believe however that it was encrypted (unlike some similar data breaches of this type), but data loss can and does happen.

2) LinkedIn is also a really great way for malicious actors to socially engineer their way into getting more sensitive data. Users provide details about their employment, co-workers, contact information and friends all in one place. Mind you this is true also for basically any social network but LinkedIn is notable because of its emphasis on professional connections. Be aware and careful of what's publicly visible in your profile and tweak your settings accordingly.

I use it as kind of a rolodex. I can look up people I haven't talked to in a year or two to contact them

This.

As a negative, it's a hotbed for recruiters to constantly bother you. However I know they'll be there if I ever do need them.

Two negatives:

1) LinkedIn is only about as secure as every other store of personal data, i.e., not very. LinkedIn was pwned last year and a significant number of their users' personal data was compromised. I believe however that it was encrypted (unlike some similar data breaches of this type), but data loss can and does happen.

2) LinkedIn is also a really great way for malicious actors to socially engineer their way into getting more sensitive data. Users provide details about their employment, co-workers, contact information and friends all in one place. Mind you this is true also for basically any social network but LinkedIn is notable because of its emphasis on professional connections. Be aware and careful of what's publicly visible in your profile and tweak your settings accordingly.

Yeah, I agree with this.
Although, unlike something like Facebook, they're not logging what websites you go to, reading your SMS messages, uploading your contacts off your phone, etc.
All they know is what you tell them.
So less interesting info to steal. In fact I think every ounce of data I've given them is set to public.

But yeah, hackers do you stuff like that for social engineering, creating target user lists, potential password lists, etc.

I've gotten lots of hits from recruiters via LinkedIn. I am mainly connected to coworkers, ex-coworkers, and friends. Many of my current and former coworkers have "endorsed" my skills, but I have no idea if that means anything to potential employers.

It's just another tool to put yourself out there, and when it comes to your career I think a highly visible professional profile is probably a good thing (unless you suck at your skills/job). As Dave Ramsey says, most jobs in the new economy are obtained through networking, not by blindly submitting resumes, so why not give yourself every possible advantage?

Last edited:
HR here uses LinkedIn to find potential hires (somewhat unsuccessfully I might add). I could understand if we needed a needle in a haystack how it might be handy. I've used it to find needles (that were not interested) to give me ideas about where to find other needles. I have also used it to bypass HR "blocks" when looking for a job. For example, there were a TON of technical PM jobs listed at one Fortune 500 company that I was a perfect fit for and very interested in. I could NOT get past HR, their stupid mandatory online application form I'm assuming was tossing me out for some reason. I was never contacted even after applying for 20+ positions over a year period. I was extremely qualified for every single one so it was extremely frustrating as I had no idea why I was just hearing static. Using LinkedIn I did a search and was able to take a very good guess at who the hiring manager was and contacted him directly. We had exchanged a number of emails and while at the end of the day, I didn't end up working there, it was a great tool for that sort of research.

It's good to keep contact with previous and even present colleagues in the same skillpool . Does it helps, yes. By end of day at times it's an initial contact point if it is not someone you professionally know.

It's good to keep contact with previous and even present colleagues in the same skillpool . Does it helps, yes. By end of day at times it's an initial contact point if it is not someone you professionally know.

Agreed. One of the best opportunities I ever had came randomly from within my network in 2000 way before Linked In. While still at Ford in Detroit, a coworker buddy was tired of a headhunter hounding him every 2 months regarding a no-name gear technology start-up company in dreary Pittsburgh. He semi-jokingly gave the HH my phone number for no other reason than to get the monkey off his back since he knew I was from Pittsburgh and knew he'd never leave his hometown Detroit, hoping the guy would just start pestering me. But I was starting to have the 7 year itch and was considering moving home closer to family but hated the idea of likely having to start over outside of automotive/transmission design, so the timing was spot-on too perfect and led to a great opportunity that has only opened more doors ever since. Seeing how networking can work for you even if you're not actively working it, I've accepted Linked In requests from strangers within my industry or from those connected to my contacts for a future rainy day or in the hopes that magic might strike twice.

So, even if not being sales or needing to constantly farm new contacts, Linked In seems like a good rainy day fund to cultivate for when/if ever needed even if I'm nowhere near actively looking right now (ahem to any Big Brother reading this)... This kind of farming / networking / trying to manufacture your own luck also seems to help with GPW coupe hunting....more on that hopefully soon.... :)

Also when I interviewed for 2 companies in 2011, I was able to see which of my direct contacts was connected to anyone at the two companies for some inside scoop and in one case to have HR and the hiring manager warmed up with a good plug beforehand... YMMV

Agreed. One of the best opportunities I ever had came randomly from within my network in 2000 way before Linked In. While still at Ford in Detroit, a coworker buddy was tired of a headhunter hounding him every 2 months regarding a no-name gear technology start-up company in dreary Pittsburgh. He semi-jokingly gave the HH my phone number for no other reason than to get the monkey off his back since he knew I was from Pittsburgh and knew he'd never leave his hometown Detroit, hoping the guy would just start pestering me. But I was starting to have the 7 year itch and was considering moving home closer to family but hated the idea of likely having to start over outside of automotive/transmission design, so the timing was spot-on too perfect and led to a great opportunity that has only opened more doors ever since. Seeing how networking can work for you even if you're not actively working it, I've accepted Linked In requests from strangers within my industry or from those connected to my contacts for a future rainy day or in the hopes that magic might strike twice.

So, even if not being sales or needing to constantly farm new contacts, Linked In seems like a good rainy day fund to cultivate for when/if ever needed even if I'm nowhere near actively looking right now (ahem to any Big Brother reading this)... This kind of farming / networking / trying to manufacture your own luck also seems to help with GPW coupe hunting....more on that hopefully soon.... :)

Also when I interviewed for 2 companies in 2011, I was able to see which of my direct contacts was connected to anyone at the two companies for some inside scoop and in one case to have HR and the hiring manager warmed up with a good plug beforehand... YMMV

7 year itch? I get a 2 year itch, haha.

Back