• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

long lasting replacement battery?

Since I'm now storing my car 3 months at a time, I want to replace my lightweight and very dead Odyssey with something that will last 3 months without having to jump start it everytime I go back. Any suggestions?

The problem isn't which battery you're using, it's that you're draining the battery for three months at a time. (Even while sitting, the NSX has a slow drain on the battery for things like the alarm, etc.)

If you have a power outlet in your storage area, the easiest way to deal with it is to use a battery charger. For the past twelve years, including twelve winters, I've been using the Schumacher SE-1-12S on-board charger which is very handy (installs once, and it's always there) and is available for under $25 from here. This is an automatic charger, that monitors the charge on the battery, charges it when low, and shuts off when it's fully charged.

If you don't have a power outlet in your storage area, and you can afford to leave the alarm off, then a battery quick disconnect might work for you; at least this would prevent the drain on the battery, although I don't know whether the battery (any battery) would be able to stand three months or so of sitting unused.

I disconnect the battery when the car is not driven. The odysessy 925 I had usually last me just 3 months, if I'm one day too late to start the car, it will die, and can't be revived anymore :( I need something that would give me a "grace period," lol.

I would get the OEM battery or something very close to it. I used to store my car for the winter and my OEM battery always fired it up fine, plus it lasted 7 years. My replacement OEM is now 6 years old and works fine.

Back