• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for History on JH4NA115XMT000285 1991 Red/Black, Originally Cali car

I'm looking at this car and it has an obvious repaint and a strange set of reports as far at the title goes, but the price is right and the car feels tight so I'm looking further.

First let me say that I am going to build a LLBP coupe. I want an OBD1 car and I want it to be blue. I have a very nice paint shop lined up to perform the complete paint conversion, since Honda didn't bless us with this combination.

I have the autocheck and carfax, both of which show a California owner (palmdale and thousand oaks) from 92 to 06, but after that it goes crazy.

2007 an OR title is issued
2008 a MT title is issued
2009 a FL title is issued and it is reported as an auction vehicle.

Is this a case of passing around to different dealers? Or maybe multiple owners? Title is clean and has no reports of accidents.

The place I'm looking at purchasing from is the place who bought it from the FL auction.

I'm extremely picky about my cars and have many years of experience in determining if a car has been in an accident. This vehicle does not appear to have any signs of an accident, but the entire car was resprayed, including the top being color matched. The work was done quite well, although not quite up to my standards for such a car. I'm scheduled to have the car on a rack shortly to inspect the undercarriage and dig a bit deeper. It does not have any modifications except of an exhaust (I'll verify brand shortly).

Has anyone looked into this particular vehicle yet?
If I determine that it hasn't been in a major accident, what would be a reasonable offer for this specific vehicle with the following information:

VIN: JH4NA115XMT000285
Trans: JAA4-1000394
Mileage: 37k (increase price)
No service records available, assume completely out of date (reduce price)
Full repaint (reduce price)
Clean interior, no rips/tears/major wear, minor wrinkles on console trim

Thanks in advance. I'll update after seeing it on a rack and determining more.

Last edited:
Ah I think I just found my own answer looking around.

I appears that this same dealer is selling a few other NSX with branded titles, and that titles can perhaps be cleared in the state of Florida somehow.

I'll have to pass. Mods can lock the thread.

What did you come up with on your search, bambbrose?

I was looking at this car today. (just a quick peek on my way somewhere else) I noticed the taillights were filled with heavy moisture. This concerned me because a friend said this particular dealer sells a lot of flood cars. Otherwise, it looked pretty nice except for a few other small things.

if you have an account with copart you can do a vin search and it will come up

Attachments

• JH4NA115XMT000285.jpg
    JH4NA115XMT000285.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 171
  • JH4NA115XMT000285    2.jpg
    JH4NA115XMT000285 2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 202
Dang, that thing was hammered. I had been eyeballing this one too but it seemed fishy. Further proof that Carfax and Autocheck are certainly not the final say in accident history.

Guys I hate to say it but when you see a car that has been passed around with low miles and a full respray - you gotta know something is up. Oh and no history - dead give away in my book. Glad you found out the real truth before you got burned. I love this site - NSEX that was a great find. Thanks to you - right! :smile:

Funny cause if I am interested in a NSX I google the VIN and 9/10 NSXPrime thread is the 1st search result. Gotta love Prime.

Hey just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I lasted visited here in 2003
(can't believe I remembered my user name and password!) and am finally looking into buying a NSX. I found this car at CJ Prestman which is just a few hours from me. I figured something was up so I Google'd the VIN and found this thread.

I spoke to a salesman yesterday who told me that Carfax and Autocheck come back free and clear. I asked about previous paintwork and damage and he said confirmed paintwork but said he would have "no way of telling if it had previous damage." I asked about a PPI and he said that was a possiblity.

He said the reason for the low price is because of a indent/crease on the driver's side door. Looks like it was far more than that!

wow I was checking that car out too! That's ridiculous that FL will clear the title after that kind of damage... Guess I should be cautious with FL cars, anyone know if any other state will clear the title?

Back