• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

lotus enthusiasts

I am sorry that I am posting this here, but there is a Lotus site that I would love to see get off the ground at www.lotussource.com I have no stake in this site, but would love to see it take off so if anyone is interested check it out and join. I am not trying to take away members from this site as that is a Lotus site and this is an NSX site, I would just love to get a forum for us unwanted Lotus fans and owners. I see there a few Lotus owners as well as admirers that are looking for forums and I think this can be a great forum. Sorry if this belongs in the off topic forum but I am trying to reach out to as many people as possible.

Bill,

I went to the site. There is only one post on their forum. Said post is a long dialogue between only two people. Those two people are you and Allan showing each other all your cars(go figure).

Bill, the only picture you have of the NSX is of one with your wife. You describe the NSX as your "beataround car".

I can understand that you have a great deal of money and can afford whatever car you want. I can also understand that you may honestly feel that your NSX is your beater out of your cars. What I don't understand is why you would promote the Lotus site on an NSX forum(in the wrong section of said forum no less) and bash the NSX? To me, that is in poor taste.

I was just kidding with Allan. I love my NSX. If you have followed the posts from here with Allan you wil understand what I am talking about. That is why i posted it on this site so I can more people interested besides Allan and myself. I have nothing but praise for the NSX and I have stated that many many times.

And another thing do you think that allan or myself would buy and keep the car if we didn't really like it? There are better things I can do with $30,000+ than waste it on a car that I hate.

I took the day off to go goofing and happened to stop by the local Ferrari/Lotus dealer. I'll probably get a Lotus TT just because they're so damned good looking and relatively cheap (around $55K for like-new specimens). The ergo still sucks, but it's livable. Edwardo, don't feel bad that people consider an NSX a "beater car." Consider it a compliment instead - everybody needs a reliable beater car so that they can occasionally enjoy a temperamental car like a Lotus.

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 25 September 2002).]

Bill,

I did not really take offense to your comments on the Lotus site. It is a Lotus site and that is a good place to deride non-Lotus-makes. I was merely stating it was in poor taste to post a link to a thread where you described the NSX as a "beataround car" on an NSX site.

I have read a few of Allan's posts where you and Allan "joke" about the NSX. The only problem with these jokes is that only you and Allan are laughing. Most everyone else is insulted. That is why these "jokes" are what leads to enormous threads where people are hurling insults.

Bill, I am not saying you are not an NSX enthusiast. You do, however fail to realize why YOU cannot joke about the NSX in the manner you and Allan do. You own multiple cars that cost significantly more than your NSX. So, when you describe how your NSX is your "beataround" car it is taken a bit differently than if someone who owned a 1982 Accord and an NSX called their NSX their "beataround" car. In the latter example, everyone would KNOW that that individual was merely joking (and thus implying which one really was his beater of the two and which one he loved and pampered).

Edwardo, i knock the Lotus as much as I do the NSX. it is all doen in humor, I am sorry if I do offend any of you. I am always saying how the Lotus falls apart if you slam the door too hard, etc. etc. The NSX is a wonderful car and have stood up for it on numerous occasions on Lotus lists, Ferrari lists, and such. I can care less if it is the cheapest costing car that I own, it just goes to show how much I respect it by owning it. Again if I have offended anyone with my NSX jabs, I am sorry.

what's wrong with having a "beater" NSX ??

I know several folks who drive theirs daily, and it goes everywhere, including the mall, the 'hood, etc.

If you had to pick an exotic to use as a "beater", the NSX is one of the best -- a testament to its reliability, predictable manners and reasonable cost of maintenance.

biggrin.gif

#############

Keeping it on topic -- check out some Lotus pix from their national event here --> http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001160.html

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 25 September 2002).]

And the only reason I am teaching my girlfriend to drive manual on an NSX is, if you have driven any of the other cars I own they are very difficult to drive for a seasoned driver, nonetheless a beginner. Clutch pedal is very soft, shifting is like butter, and great all around vision--something the Lotus and to an effect the Ferraris lack.

i dont see how referring to the NSX as someones beater car is an insult. if i owned a Murcielago, a Pagani Zonda C12S, and Diablo Sv, i'd refer to the Diablo as my beater car. The title goes to the car to which you used most for your day to day activities, which usually goes to your least expensive vehicle.In Bills case, and mine, i'd rather see a shopping cart hit my nsx, than either of my other cars.

Edwardo: I'm not sure I understand your gripe with Bill and Allan. These guys own NSXs, like some things about them, and dislike other aspects.

Unlike a lot of NSX owners on this board, they also happen to simultaneously own several other impractical sports cars to compare them to. As such, their opinions about the NSX (both good and bad) seem to me to be more informed than the NSX owner who has only owned an NSX as his/her sole sports car or "best" sports car. Why would I, or anyone else, care to read endless favorable NSX comparisons to someone's Honda Accord daily driver?

I have always been an advocate of comparing similarly configured cars at all price points so long as certain broad parallels can be drawn. My car may be better in some respects and worse in others. I'm OK with that. I don't see why the average NSX owner should feel insecure having his/her car compared to other similar cars -- whether they cost $2,000 or $2,000,000.

The NSX may be the be-all-end-all automobile for some members of this board, but many others choose to see it existing in a middle ground somewhere between an Italian exotic and a "lesser" car such as my own (LOL!).

The point being, sports cars exist along a continuum and one man's "beater" / daily driver is another man's pride and joy. It seems to me, true enthusiasts, meaning, those that didn't buy the NSX expecting membership into some elite social club, most likely don't to care to pat each other on the back on this board endlessly and would prefer instead to compare notes with the owners of a wide range of comparable cars.

Bottom line: The NSX is a fantastic example of a mid-engined sports car of the highest order -- BUT -- it didn't exactly define the genre. Lighten up and learn something, if only how to modify your NSX to outperform even Bill's and Allan's cars.

As far as the link to the Lotus site goes, I suspect this was Bill’s concession to hurt feelings in trying to direct these comparisons to friendly turf.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 25 September 2002).]

I apologize. I thought "beater" was the derogatory version of the term, "daily driver". I was merely under the impression that the term "beater" was a term given to a car that you did not mind if a grocery cart hit it. I did not realize the two words were synonyms. I stand corrected.

Bill, I guess I totally misinterpreted your sense of humor. I apologize for calling you out on that.

Allan,

Are your lambo pics at your old florida home?? I think that house is totally rocking...
The new place looks like you need more garages!

I don't think I have ever even seen a picture of your NSX. When are you going to start modding it!!

As a matter of fact, I use the NSX just about the least of all the cars. I use the Lotus alot more, and both Ferraris more. I will not lie, it was meant as the derogatory version of a daily driver but I did not mean it as a knock in anyway at all. Like I said it was only a joke.

But this isn't the point of this thread, the point was if I can get some interest in a site that is limited to Lotus enthusiasts. Only because there does seem to be some interest, and I was using this site to plug that site, for that I apologize. But I would like to spread the word

I have a question for both Bill and Allan.

You guys obviously are not hurting for cash, so why did you both buy such OLD NSX's? Why don't you have at least 97+? You might enjoy the 97 a lot more than a 92. ie. 6-speed, targa, more HP, power assist steering etc.

When you both knock the NSX, you are comparing a 99 or 2000 (allan)Lotus V8TT to a 92 NSX. Not a very fair comparison. In 92 the Lotus was still a 4-cylinder with 264HP that lost to an NSX in every single comparison I have ever read. The interior was also Tragic.

When did you pickup the NSX in your line of car buying?

Just curious..

Netviper I bought the 92 because I was looking for a 91-93 because of the weight. I also did not like the powersteering, as it lost some feedback and crispness in the steering feel. Also I tend to stay away from OBDII cars as I hear they are a bitch to get power out of without throwing some sort of check engine light. To tell you the truth I have never driven a 97 or later NSX. After I am done modifying the Lotus I will start on the NSX. One of my first mods will be fitting the 6 speed in there. I would rather also go with the most power I can get normally aspirated rather than turbocharging or supercharging. As for when I bought it, it was after months of lurking on this site and educating myself did I buy it. February of this year. I was on the market for a Euro Ferrari 308 but then I test drove this car and said the Ferrari can wait. I also am not a big fan of convertibles or targas on sports cars so that was another reason I stayed away from the 95 and up cars. Hope this answers some of your questions.

PS-I never knocked the NSX.

Originally posted by BoostedMR2:
Edwardo: I'm not sure I understand your gripe with Bill and Allan. These guys own NSXs, like some things about them, and dislike other aspects.

Unlike a lot of NSX owners on this board, they also happen to simultaneously own several other impractical sports cars to compare them to. As such, their opinions about the NSX (both good and bad) seem to me to be more informed than the NSX owner who has only owned an NSX as his/her sole sports car or "best" sports car. Why would I, or anyone else, care to read endless favorable NSX comparisons to someone's Honda Accord daily driver?

I have always been an advocate of comparing similarly configured cars at all price points so long as certain broad parallels can be drawn. My car may be better in some respects and worse in others. I'm OK with that. I don't see why the average NSX owner should feel insecure having his/her car compared to other similar cars -- whether they cost $2,000 or $2,000,000.

The NSX may be the be-all-end-all automobile for some members of this board, but many others choose to see it existing in a middle ground somewhere between an Italian exotic and a "lesser" car such as my own (LOL!).

The point being, sports cars exist along a continuum and one man's "beater" / daily driver is another man's pride and joy. It seems to me, true enthusiasts, meaning, those that didn't buy the NSX expecting membership into some elite social club, most likely don't to care to pat each other on the back on this board endlessly and would prefer instead to compare notes with the owners of a wide range of comparable cars.

Bottom line: The NSX is a fantastic example of a mid-engined sports car of the highest order -- BUT -- it didn't exactly define the genre. Lighten up and learn something, if only how to modify your NSX to outperform even Bill's and Allan's cars.

As far as the link to the Lotus site goes, I suspect this was Bill’s concession to hurt feelings in trying to direct these comparisons to friendly turf.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

David,

You write very well. I am not being sarcastic at all about that. I am assuming you learned that in law school(I am not being sarcastic about this btw).

David, by your post, it would seem that you think I own an NSX. It would also seem as though you think I only want to hear good things about the NSX...that I own. You also imply that I don't care to hear about Bill and Allan talk about the experience they have with their other cars and compare notes...

David, I do not own an NSX. I would like to though. Also, if I did not want to hear anything about other cars then I would not have gone to the Lotus forum. I did not go their on a witch hunt. Bill knows I love his special edition Lotus. I told him I loved it last week. Furthermore, I would never read any of Bill and Allan's posts. That is not true. I read all of them and I love hearing and seeing their cars. I love hearing their wild stories about racing Vipers and their wheels falling off when they are going 170mph. Bill and Allen are defianately anomolies in the arena of exotic car ownership because they actually drive their cars. It is to our benefit to read and enjoy their experiences. I would not even go to the "Off Topic" section if I did not want to see a bit of information on other cars as compared to the NSX.

I am very passionate about cars as you can tell. I have many videos and pictures on my hard drive. In fact, one of my videos has your car in it David. It was posted by a guy on this site. Furthermore, I have downloaded pictures from Allan and Bill's MSN site to my hard drive.

I will state this again. I am sorry that I misinterpreted your post on the Lotus forum Bill. I have not read all of your posts so I did not know you "deride" your other cars(in good fun).

Perhaps I am secretly jealous of you Bill for owning the best looking Lotus that I have ever seen. My first physical encounter with the Lotus was when I was 13 years old. It was on display at the Texas state fair grounds. I sat in it...correction...I tried to sit in it. Alas, I could not fit. My head was plastered to the headliner. My friends jeered at me.
frown.gif
I am even bigger now than then so I don't think the ergonomic improvements have improved enough to counter that hehe.

And when I am comparing I am talking from experience. I am not looking at someone else's opinions when comparing. That is why most of the comparisons are lopsided, but they are real world comparisons. If anything you should take it as a compliment if a 92 NSX is being compared to a 99 Lotus.

Guys, I just reread my above post. It has multiple grammar mistakes and my text is very jumbled. I hope you guys understand what I was trying to say though. I hope I did not offend anyone.

Edwardo there is absolutely no reason to explain yourself or apologize. Sure once in a while Allan or myself stir a little trouble, but that is only meant to keep everyone amused. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said if I didn't like the car I wouldn't have kept it. Also if you are ever in the New York area, please look me up and we will have some fun
smile.gif

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
Hope this answers some of your questions.

PS-I never knocked the NSX.

Thanks Bill.

I will be interested in seeing what you end up doing with your NSX. I have no idea how much power can be made sticking to NA. I would think you should be able to get 330+. Is it possible to increase the displacement?? The 6 speed would also be a great, but expensive upgrade. I am sure you will also reduce the weight. Your car should be pretty damn fast when you are done, but probably never as fast as your Lotus.

Keep us posted.

I know you never knocked the NSX, but how come no pics on the NSX on the lotus site? You posted all your other cars. I think you NSX if feeling left out
smile.gif

I guess I was thinking of Allan and his constant NSX bashing. I know he is kidding 99% of the time, but I am sure many people here that saved up for a long time for their dream car get really offended when someone calls it a "beater".

I really like reading stuff from both you guys and I am glad you are here to compare the NSX to your other cars.

PS. Allan's Diablo SV is GORGEOUS.. I want one!

The truthfull reason as to why i bought a 91 Nsx is that my wife wanted it, and she doesnt really care if it has a 6 speed, or 20hp more. So for the difference in price it was better for me to skimp out on her car, and have more cash for MY CARS! She has also said that if the car was to be more expensive, she would rather have a ferrari 348. My last reason is that i want to do a widebody kit on the nsx, and id rather rip appart a 30,000 car, than 50-60,000 car.

And Netviper, your right, i need more garage space, and will be setting out to build a new home shortly, with hopefully 6 garages!

Allan, Your wife has good taste
smile.gif

Have you decided what you are doing with you NSX yet? Turbo? SC? or going NA?

If you get a 6 car garage, you will be my new "real person" idol
smile.gif

Jay Leno is my "celeb" idol
smile.gif

Originally posted by NetViper:
Thanks Bill.

I will be interested in seeing what you end up doing with your NSX. I have no idea how much power can be made sticking to NA. I would think you should be able to get 330+. Is it possible to increase the displacement?? The 6 speed would also be a great, but expensive upgrade. I am sure you will also reduce the weight. Your car should be pretty damn fast when you are done, but probably never as fast as your Lotus.

Keep us posted.

I know you never knocked the NSX, but how come no pics on the NSX on the lotus site? You posted all your other cars. I think you NSX if feeling left out
smile.gif

I guess I was thinking of Allan and his constant NSX bashing. I know he is kidding 99% of the time, but I am sure many people here that saved up for a long time for their dream car get really offended when someone calls it a "beater".

I really like reading stuff from both you guys and I am glad you are here to compare the NSX to your other cars.

PS. Allan's Diablo SV is GORGEOUS.. I want one!

I am not looking to make the NSX faster than the Lotus, I just want to give it more spunk. And the reason for keeping it NA is becuase I do not want to lose that crisp and instant throttle response that gets lost when you use forced induction. As to why no pics of the NSX other than the one I have with my girlfriend driving I don't think I have anymore. They are still in my camera's memory stick but as soon as I download them I will post them.

Back