• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Loud clicking popping noise from behind the dash

During my trip back from Georgia where I bought my car in January, within about 20 miles from where I bought it, I witnessed a loud popping noise from within the car. It only occured for a few minutes and never came back. I never thought twice about it since at the time the driver speaker was not working and it sounded like a loud speaker pop. I figured my Bose amps or speakers were going.

This has not occured since January, however recently in the past few weeks, the noise has come back. I know longer think its a speaker pop since I feel I have isolated it from behind the radio. Originally, I thought it was the blower motor since everytime it has happened, the fan was on.

This morning, the fan was off and the noise occured. Any ideas?

It is a very loud, mechanical sounding popping clicking noise. The sound is consisntent and sounds the same every time. The length of the noise will differ from time to time. The weather was warm in Georgia and is warm now in Boston. This seems to be the only thing the occurances have in common.

hmmm...ill try turning off the radio next time it happens. it still seems like its coming from behind the dash to me. its worth giving it a shot though.

I have a 94 and have the same problem. I thought it had something to do with the cooling system because it only does it w/ the air on, then like you said goes away, but recent drives the popping is happening with the air and radio off. Can anyone help our popping NSX's.

I have a 94 and have the same problem. I thought it had something to do with the cooling system because it only does it w/ the air on, then like you said goes away, but recent drives the popping is happening with the air and radio off. Can anyone help our popping NSX's.

Even with the CCU off the unit is still active, if you turn the temp setting the dampers will move and if one is jamed the damper motor will emit a poping sound.

Even with the CCU off the unit is still active, if you turn the temp setting the dampers will move and if one is jamed the damper motor will emit a poping sound.

is there a fix for this , or just replacements? is the damper motor within the blower motor?

There are 4 damper motors, mode, mix, vent and recirc. First you need to find out which one is making the noise. The mode an recirc can be operated directly from the buttons on the front of the CCU. the mix and vent are positioned by the CCU depending on the cabin temp. and the temp. setting. Also you can run the test procedure, max temp, for a minute, min temp. for a minute and then press Auto and off at the same time and it may tell you which damper has a problem.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/climate_control.htm

Not many damper motors fail so most likelly its just a machanical problem or a CCU problem.

Back