• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lower or not?

Installed new wheels and thinking about lowering just a bit. Want to be as close to OEM ride as possible and would like something not too $$$$. Does camber come into play regardless of height? Advice please.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Would that be the Bilstein springs? What set up is that specifically? Sorry for the noob questions.

Basically do I change out my stock springs and replace them with something like these?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/suspension_performance_products/NSX/HR/lowering_springs/

No, you'd re-use the stock springs. The Bilsteins have two spring perches (places where the springs rest on the shock shaft); the "lower" of the two is about 3/4" lower than the "standard" perch.

I'm sure there are plenty of threads here on Prime that show the perches if you can't picture it in your head.

I did this on my '91 this past summer and I could not be happier with it. Lowered it just a little bit, didn't mess up the geometry, new shocks were DESPARATELY needed (rides smoother AND handles better).

Slightly lower definitely looks better... that said, mine's at stock height -- takes the worry out of many driving experiences.

Depending on your cars age, the springs weakin a tad so you'll likely get a full 1 inch drop which is what Honda should've done. I love mine.

I drove for a year before I lowered mine with eibachs
If I had known the car handles better I would have done it from day one.

now getting use to the lower lip has cost me atleast 2000 bucks worth of lower lips LOL

live and learn I guess.

I say lower it. :biggrin:

I drove for a year before I lowered mine with eibachs
If I had known the car handles better I would have done it from day one.

now getting use to the lower lip has cost me atleast 2000 bucks worth of lower lips LOL

live and learn I guess.

I say lower it. :biggrin:

$2k in front lips? Really? My car is lower than yours & I've only had 2 in 7 years. You may need to take that Driving Lowered Cars 101 class lol.

Last edited:
mine's at stock height -- takes the worry out of many driving experiences.
I always kept mine at stock height too. The front air dam scraped enough times as it was, I didn't need to make it worse. And it was easier to get in and out of the car than it would have been lowered.

But if you want to lower it, I agree, the Bilsteins on the lowering perch are the way to go, for about 7/8" drop. Many cars need new shocks anyway. If you go this route, save your receipt; Bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty.

yeah but.... I take speed bumps rated at 10mph at 90+ so they ripp off with such force you can hear it under the car blang blang blang LOL

then you hear it roll inside the wheel wells and then out the back.

you bust up laughing when it happens its fun.

I drive my NSX like im gonna die tomorrow redline to redline.
stock, and when people see my car at NSXPO this year they are gonna say well it looks it. LOL

yeah but.... I take speed bumps rated at 10mph at 90+ so they ripp off with such force you can hear it under the car blang blang blang LOL

then you hear it roll inside the wheel wells and then out the back.

you bust up laughing when it happens its fun.

I drive my NSX like im gonna die tomorrow redline to redline.
stock, and when people see my car at NSXPO this year they are gonna say well it looks it. LOL

Poor car :frown:

actually I take good care of it maint wise. and if I get a dent it promply fixed LOL

its just that lower lip killed me for awhile. till 101 lower car driving skill kicked in.

Get yourself a set of Bilsteins shocks/struts to replace the OEM ones and put them on the lower perch (~7/8" drop). Keep your OEM springs. If the OEM struts haven't be replaced, they'll need to be replaced anyway, so you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

If you find it's too low, you can always reinstall the struts on the upper (OEM) perch where you'll be at the OEM height.

It's usually advised that anytime you remove and change suspension components that you do an alignment shortly afterward. Lowering the car 7/8" will cause changes to the camber & toe (but most of it can be corrected during an alignment with the OEM adjustment bolts).

I have the bilsteins with Tein springs. I believe it's a .75" front and 1.25" rear.

Summary:
1. The lowering portion I love.
2. The larger drop in the back really does make the likelihood of scraping the front nearly the same as stock (a big surprise to me).
3. My ride is rougher than I like. Not sure if it's the springs or the bilsteins causing the issue.

Overall: The height is prefect but I would not change the shocks. The look is better in my opinion.

For aesthetics the lowering would help, but I'm on aftermarket wheels OZ Ultralegerras and currently at stock height. I purchased Eibach lowering springs with the intention of installing them, but I live in the city so any lower I'd scrape everywhere so I decided to against it.

photo1.jpg

Back