• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

lowering good or bad?

1991_modified_gunmetal_acura_nsx_1-800-600.jpg

1991_modified_gunmetal_acura_nsx_28-800-600.jpg

1991_modified_gunmetal_acura_nsx_23-800-600.jpg

ok so what are the prices on blistein shock vs oem.
which is stiffer blistien or oem?
which spring is stiffer oem or eibach?

thanks for all the input everyone.

Every single aftermarket option is going to be stiffer or firmer than oem. The difference goes from a little bit firmer like the Tein S tech springs or the Bilstien struts vs the Konis struts or the eibach springs which are a good amount firmer than stock to fully adjustable coil overs.

Rob your car looks perfect - I mean PERFECT - to me that is. I love your car - that tan interior against the white/black is nice! Sometimes I regret not buying it when I had the chance! I like mine too - and I believe after all you've told me the Swifts are it for me. I'll be looking into that.

RJPKRP, your car looks great, and I like the moderate lowering that the Swifts have. I think those are the springs I want. How's it do with speed bumps/curbs? I have to deal with a lot of them in my area.

Question to all: how much can I expect to pay to have the springs installed, and an alignment?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm really, really liking the way it looks, rides and handles.....the Swifts were exactly what the "plastic surgeon ordered". I have not had a single problem with speed bumps (even the rather wide ones with the flat tops) or the curb, which I have one on my driveway. I am careful when I come up on either. Tomorrow I'll snap a pick of my curb to give you an idea. However, I have not scraped yet, on anything, with the moderate lowering.

To answer your cost question, I paid $290 for the springs shipped. Then you can expect $300-400 for installation onto your OEM shocks. Also budget for an alignment after it is dropped. My car is aligned to factory specs, so I didn't have to get ridiculous negative camber (or a correction kit) like some of the slammed vehicles need (just a function of going so low).

Last edited:
Lower = lower CG (good) but too low (and compounded by too low of spring rates) = bumpsteer, excessively low roll centers and many other bad things, but that's usually when a car is 'slammed'.

Billy
Billy, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize the geometry gets all f'ed when we go to low (i.e. bumpsteer). I would have been annoyed at that. Good to know for when I go lower.
what are the prices on blistein shocks vs oem.
I think you're going to have to do some research. I bought my bils at Shox.com but you do find them here on prime once in a while.

btw... proper lowering of a NSX that's properly documented will most often increase value (esp. if you go the Bils route and keep all your stock stuff). I, for one, have outgrown the Bilsteins I think.

Last edited:
Good.
Koni's for me. (Koni's are adjustable)
Tried 'em all.......

"Ive been thinking about lowering my nsx. 91 with 94 wheels. does lowering devalue the car?"
No.
"what does it do to the handling?"
Drastically improves it............ When done correctly....

Last edited:
I have my '91 lowered 1.2" and it rides much stiffer and corners better.

DO NOT cut the springs. Do it right.

Buy comptech or another equal brand and replace the shocks with Koni shocks-they are great.

I have been wrestling and researching this for awhile. How long you dont want to know ;)

My opinions;
1;This is not a race car. You are not shooting for .1's per lap. So a big bucks coilover system is wasted cash. Wanna race ? Buy a Formula Vee for the same amount and stop posing.
2;The car does look a little dated with the wheel gaps so I bought 17/18's which theoretically have the same OD so there still is a gap.

I bought some Tein S's el cheapo after MUCH research to find a streetable compromise and found a NTB store that will put them in for $50 a corner. Still haven't done it. "What if lower ride height causes scrapes ?"
Paralysis by analysis.
Wont bore you with the forced induction conundrum. Gonna do it just which one is "right" bang for the buck.

Hey; its half the fun doing the research.

Add third category... "mandatory"... LOL

I had never bothered with my first two NSX's. Recently bought a fellow primers heavily modded NSX with Tein Flex/EDFC, lowered (not crazy, but a bit) and Volk CE28 17/18s, and Comptech sway bars.

Looking at pics between my old cars and the new, the difference in stance is jarring. A huge difference aesthetically, IMO.

Performance wise, the car feels stiffer and more confident on turn-ins even on the streets. Ride difference is negligible with the EDFC set midline.

As for resale value, its the same thing as with any mods. Someone looking for a pristine, untouched, virgin will balk. You may have to reverse the mod or hold out longer.

For me, I paid a premium for the car because it had an array of mods (10's of thousands worth), that I had always wanted but would never do on my own.

Suspension is a pretty good mod, I think, in that most people will be happy to hear they are getting a "better" setup and the fact that the car just looks better (I think a majority would agree the lower stance looks better) will subconsciously draw them in.

My opinions;
1;This is not a race car. You are not shooting for .1's per lap. So a big bucks coilover system is wasted cash. Wanna race ? Buy a Formula Vee for the same amount and stop posing.

Hey; its half the fun doing the research.

Naw, half the fun is doing it yourself.

I completely agree with assessment #1. Now get out there and put the suspension in yourself. I've done it a number of times and it's really not all that hard. There are plenty of write-ups here on Prime to help you through it. Heck, if you lived closer, I'd come over and do it with you!

Naw, half the fun is doing it yourself.

I completely agree with assessment #1. Now get out there and put the suspension in yourself. I've done it a number of times and it's really not all that hard. There are plenty of write-ups here on Prime to help you through it. Heck, if you lived closer, I'd come over and do it with you!

"Aint Skeered" of DIY. I used to be an aircraft mechanic (for way too long). But at some point it just makes sense for someone who does it for a living with the proper tools and especially (my personal fave) a cheap price to do it.
It has to be re-aligned any who.
And yes I can do alignments as I done did it on my racin car each and every race.
(See above list of excuses.)
;)

ok so if it looks better with the lower stance then it will bring them and get a better sale. How many want virgin nsx vs one that looks good with a nice stance you think? Thanks for all the replies guys

ok so if it looks better with the lower stance then it will bring them and get a better sale. How many want virgin nsx vs one that looks good with a nice stance you think? Thanks for all the replies guys

Never can tell. I kept all of the OEM parts to my car so if a potential buyer wants a "virgin car" it can be put back to OEM.

Back