• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lowering my car-advise

Lowering my car-Please advise

ok, I've been reading a bunch of stuff here on prime and want to get some up to date advice. My car is currenty running stock suspension with aftermarket wheels and tires (17-18's). The tires are of a good width, but not too wide and don't rub at all.

I have 3 fingers width to the fenderwell in the front and back so it feels like I should get a gun rack in the back window and go hunt'n ;). I'd like to go lower, but not to the ground. I've looked at a few and like the look of about 1 finger height so I'm looking to go down about 1 to 1 1/2 inches both front and back.

My ride is OK now. I can go a bit stiffer, but don't really race the car. I went to the Hollywood park autocross and like it so I would probably do it again. but I really need to work my skills more than the cars ability :redface: . I will probably also get sway bars at some point, cause I don't like the lean I had when in the autocross. I hear the Dali's are the way to go if he ever gets them in...

So, please advise on what I should think about and what setup you would recomend. Progressive sounds interesting for springs. but let me know what springs and/or shocks... you might recoemnd that would get me what I want.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I think the combo of H&R springs and Bilsteins on stock perch setting will fit the bill nicely especially you like to do autocross. I am no expert but have read that linear springs are more predictable in autocross.
Steve

I second NSXTACY's reply. The Bilsteins will get you about 0.8" of drop. I have them with stock springs & Comptech swaybars (as well as many of my friends out here in NoCal). I already have issues with the 0.8" drop and would hate to see what another 0.5" would do. What I mean by issues are, I have to angle in crossing the sidewalk in front of my house to prevent scrapping the nose. And I have encountered speed bumps tall enough that even going really slow, I know where the jack points are as I have felt them scrap across the top of the speed bump as I drive over them (remind me not to park near the front door of the Chinese restaurant in Cameron Park). At least now I know I have no need to put rubber protectors between my floor jack and the jack points as the bottoms have already been asphalt scrapped, nothing pristine about them to protect anymore)

rherschberg said:
ok, I've been reading a bunch of stuff here on prime and want to get some up to date advice. My car is currenty running stock suspension with aftermarket wheels and tires (17-18's). The tires are of a good width, but not too wide and don't rub at all.

I have 3 fingers width to the fenderwell in the front and back so it feels like I should get a gun rack in the back window and go hunt'n ;). I'd like to go lower, but not to the ground. I've looked at a few and like the look of about 1 finger height so I'm looking to go down about 1 to 1 1/2 inches both front and back.

My ride is OK now. I can go a bit stiffer, but don't really race the car. I went to the Hollywood park autocross and like it so I would probably do it again. but I really need to work my skills more than the cars ability :redface: . I will probably also get sway bars at some point, cause I don't like the lean I had when in the autocross. I hear the Dali's are the way to go if he ever gets them in...

So, please advise on what I should think about and what setup you would recomend. Progressive sounds interesting for springs. but let me know what springs and/or shocks... you might recoemnd that would get me what I want.

Thanks!!!
i bought my 1992 already lowered one inch. there are a lot of other mods the previous owner installed but the only one i wish i did not have was the lower body height. the car is already low and when lowered you make it too low. other drivers cannot see me when they look out their right side
and i have to approach my driveway sideways slightly (i know the angle now) but other driveways give me trouble.
it is not worth it IMHO.

willabeest said:
i bought my 1992 already lowered one inch. there are a lot of other mods the previous owner installed but the only one i wish i did not have was the lower body height. the car is already low and when lowered you make it too low. other drivers cannot see me when they look out their right side
and i have to approach my driveway sideways slightly (i know the angle now) but other driveways give me trouble.
it is not worth it IMHO.
You can always raise it back up, relatively easily. If it's lowered with Bilsteins on the lowering perch, they can be re-installed on the perch for standard ride height. If it's lowered with lowering springs, I bet there are plenty of owners here who have installed lowering springs and still have their original stock springs that they would be willing to sell you for next to nothing.

Mr. Willabeest

NSXtacy is right about the ease to raise your car if you don't like the lowered effect. I see you are from Sacto. Have you attended the Sacto Chapter NSXCA meetings? If not, our next one should be on Jan 25 (4th tuesday of the month), although I don't know if our Fearless Leader has picked the location yet, our website doesn't have the 2005 schedule posted yet.
visit http://sacramento.nsxca.org/ if you haven't yet. Or join our Yahoo group, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nsxca-sacramento/ so you will get the notice of when & where our next meeting will be. :smile:

nsxtasy said:
I would suggest Bilstein shocks installed using the lowering perches, and the stock springs.

I have the Bilsteins on the lower perch on OEM rims/springs and it looks great and it rides awesome.... stiff but it won't kill you... My Explorer Sport rides rougher than my NSX.... hey, maybe I should get Bilsteins for my Explorer... Never thought of that... :eek:

nsxtasy said:
You can always raise it back up, relatively easily. If it's lowered with Bilsteins on the lowering perch, they can be re-installed on the perch for standard ride height. If it's lowered with lowering springs, I bet there are plenty of owners here who have installed lowering springs and still have their original stock springs that they would be willing to sell you for next to nothing.
i will check with Ted see what he says. (used to be Ted's car).

nsx4fun said:
Mr. Willabeest

NSXtacy is right about the ease to raise your car if you don't like the lowered effect. I see you are from Sacto. Have you attended the Sacto Chapter NSXCA meetings? If not, our next one should be on Jan 25 (4th tuesday of the month), although I don't know if our Fearless Leader has picked the location yet, our website doesn't have the 2005 schedule posted yet.
visit http://sacramento.nsxca.org/ if you haven't yet. Or join our Yahoo group, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nsxca-sacramento/ so you will get the notice of when & where our next meeting will be. :smile:
yes it is Ted's former ride. i just sent him an email see what he thinks. i thought it would be very difficult to raise the body back up for some reason - i looked on the spec sheet i got when i bought it - i think it has Koni/Eibachs and aftermarket front sway bar and the stock rear one, unless of course it doesn't!
about the club - i work about 12 hours a day. 7 to 7. i do have weekends off and would like to make a club drive.
Petit usually works on it next time i bring it in i will see what he thinks also. really though why lower the car? if there is a cat in the road and you can't miss it it could get ugly....
:smile:

willabeest said:
really though why lower the car?
Some people like "the look" of a lowered car and its reduced gap between the tires and the fenders, and that's why they lower (or "slam") the car.

FWIW, I don't really care about the look, one way or the other. I don't want to have any more trouble scraping my chin spoiler than I already do. My car is not lowered.

Amen. While I would like the look of the lowered stance, I am NOT willing to sacrifice anything more as far as practicality. It's almost too low as it is, and I have a stock setup. As it is the ride is firm enough, I work to minimize the scrapes. I wouldn't even consider it for myself.

willabeest said:
... i think it has Koni/Eibachs and aftermarket front sway bar and the stock rear one, ....
If it does have this combo, then you cannot change the height without replacing the springs - the Koni has no different perch heights (per the Bilsteins) and is similar to stock, but the Eibachs are what are giving your drop.

D'Ecosse said:
If it does have this combo, then you cannot change the height without replacing the springs - the Koni has no different perch heights (per the Bilsteins) and is similar to stock, but the Eibachs are what are giving your drop.
That's why I said...

nsxtasy said:
If it's lowered with lowering springs, I bet there are plenty of owners here who have installed lowering springs and still have their original stock springs that they would be willing to sell you for next to nothing.

Sounds to me like the Bilsteins and stock fit my bill the best. It allows me to change my mind if I go too low and find I scrape too much and gets me a marginally stiffer ride without too large of a change.

So where is the best place to get a set of Bilsteins? Anyone have a used set after they upgraded to coilovers?

How much hassle is it to change the perch once installed? I know coilovers have an easy process to change heights, but a perch change sounds more difficult. is it a DIY project? do I need a spring compressor to change the perch?

Back