• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LSD problem think?!

Stop taking LSD and the problem will go away. :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:smile:

On a more serious note, it is possible the diff. clutch plates stick a little since they are immersed in oil. Sorta like a wet clutch in a motorcycle. Sometimes the first time you put it in gear after it has sat for a while the engine will die even with the clutch pulled in because the plates are stuck together.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, 5 speeds are clutch type and 6 speeds aren't.

well its doing it again off and on! wtf? are these a helical or a clutch type stock?
Your description of what is happening when you jacked up part of the car also isn't quite clear. Are you in gear? Do you have the e-brake on?

What is it doing exactly when you are driving? Is it making any noise or ill-effects to the cars handling?

All NSXs have a ramp-less clutch type lsd.

I know it's no help, and EdinKali was close, but just for completeness:

"To get back to the warning that I received. You may take it with however many grains of salt that you wish. That the brown acid that is circulating around us is not specifically too good. It is suggested that you stay away from that. Of course it's your own trip. So be my guest, but please be advised that there is a warning on that one, ok?"

-j

i can be out of gear or in gear with the one rear tire in the air cannot turn the tire with out some force. of coarse the ebrake is off :) i wish it was that simple.

any how the only affect is it almost feels like its binding and then lets go and then binds again until i straiten out. but then it will go away after driving around but as soon as i park it over night and pull out of the drive way it happens all over again every other day... if i get on the throttle fairly agressive it will quite the noise in the turn.

whats a rampless lsd? sorry never heard this term. maybe i have a after market clutch type that previous owner installed, and i have the wrong oil in there?

also its not an axle or the tranny for strait line theres no effect and a axle would be sensitive to a minor turn in the steering wheel

thanks in advance
So when you start your car 'cold' first thing in the morning, the tighter you make a turn, the more it 'binds up and releases', chattering -if you will. Then once you have driven around for a while and everything heats up, it does not bind/chatter even when you make very tight corners?

If this is true, it sounds like you may have an agressive aftermarket LSD. This could explain why when your car is 1/2 in the air, out of gear, no e-brake (make sure to chalk the tires so the car dosnt roll away and off the jack stands) and you try to turn the wheel, the LSD wont allow a wheelspeed difference between the L and R side (its function).

If this is the case, you can add some friction modifier to the oil or change the oil to an LSD-specific oil, but I'll have to check with a few LSD manufacturers how this would affect a transaxle and shifting. You might have to live with it unless you want to take apart the transmission to deactivate some clutch plates, install less agressive preload springs, or maybe WPC treat the discs to reduce chattering.

Can you research to find out if you have an aftermarket OS Giken or KAAZ lsd in your car?

So it started happening after you installed the motor mounts?

Stiff motor mounts could accentuate LSD chatter.

Did you change the transmission fluid when you replaced the clutch?

Give me a time frame of how long you've owned the car, if you ever noticed any of this chattering, what and when you replaced it, and when the chattering start to occur.

Last edited:
Back