• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mac guys: buy macbook now or wait for new models?

I'm surprised on the ram. I was told the mac is so efficient that it doesn't need a lot of ram. I was going to go with 8gig. What takes up so much ram?

Is the dedicated GPu mainly for gaming or what?

OSX does a far better job using the resources it has to maximise performance in my experience (at least compared to win 7 and below - I havent used 8). It uses up all of the available memory to keep things smooth and as things get tight it starts to prioritize what's more important. That's a bit different from it simply using less memory for everything though, and even if did, third party graphics apps are the problem (photoshop). In my experience it's incredibly easy to use 8gb of memory without photoshop even open (I'm using 9.31gb right now) and once that happens, your computer starts using the HDD/SSD as a scratch disk to make up for it. If it were me speccing the computer I'd rather have 16gb of ram over any CPU/GPU upgrades without a doubt. I had the 8gb rMBP briefly and returned it once I realised the memory wasn't user upgradable anymore, I was always out of resources and noticed a big jump switching to the 16.

The dedicated GPU is good for a few photoshop filters, video editing, Aperture, CAD (viewports), running external monitors (mine lags with OS animations on dual 30s), gaming, and I'm sure there's some other stuff.

Hope that helps!

It's also worth noting Mavericks added compressed memory, which makes it even better under low memory situations.

http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

I think 8GB is more than enough for most people on a Mac. I have a 16GB retina MBP, and I must admit I only use about 5GB of it most of the time. Still I got 16GB because I figure I will never need to worry about RAM for the life of the computer.

The dedicated GPU was pretty important for the first gen retina MBP last year, when the Intel GPU was a little too weak to push so many pixels. The latest Intel Iris GPU in the current retina MBPs is a lot better at driving the retina screens.

I'm just going to go with the 2.3, 16 gig ram, nvidia. But I'm still thinking of waiting till the next gen.

BTW: Anyone here upgrading from your well-cared-for 2011 or newer Mac laptop and want a little more than Gazelle would offer for it, and/or don't want to be bothered with eBay? Please PM me. :)

Looking for a Mac laptop and don't need "new." Ideal is GPW or silver, one owner, all original records/papers, updated maintenance (OS updates), and all lights and HVAC (fan) and speakers work fine w/o issues. No major bodywork, scratches, appearance mods, or wraps. No OEM cassette player needed in this case. Will take very good care of your baby and offer you first right of refusal if I (n)ever sell. Bonus if comes with storage cover or any extra peripherals. Thx!

BTW: Anyone here upgrading from your well-cared-for 2011 or newer Mac laptop and want a little more than Gazelle would offer for it, and/or don't want to be bothered with eBay? Please PM me. :)

Looking for a Mac laptop and don't need "new." Ideal is GPW or silver, one owner, all original records/papers, updated maintenance (OS updates), and all lights and HVAC (fan) and speakers work fine w/o issues. No major bodywork, scratches, appearance mods, or wraps. No OEM cassette player needed in this case. Will take very good care of your baby and offer you first right of refusal if I (n)ever sell. Bonus if comes with storage cover or any extra peripherals. Thx!

Best wanted ad yet! GPW would land you one of those plastic macbooks though so I think you're going to have to settle for the sebring silver :tongue:

I'd have no problem with one of those GPW stormtrooper macbooks at a fair price! I just want a reliable macbook for medium/light duty work and to network into my 2006 Mac Pro, and the ones from 2009 on will run OSX mavericks according to the mactracker app.

I bought my daughter a MacBookPro for her H.S graduation. Best buy had $75 off and I also got $150 coupon they offer for college students.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-13-3-display-8gb-memory-512gb-flash-storage/6292781.p?id=1218725803576&skuId=6292781&st=macbook%20pro&cp=1&lp=6

If you know someone with a .edu email address they can get the coupon emailed to them and you can save $150

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/College-Student-Deals/pcmcat276200050000.c?id=pcmcat276200050000&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchterm=college%20deals

Shit!! I just bought a refurb 13 MBA for $799.

Thats a great deal! I thought about a re-furb but I wanted the 2 year replacement warranty Best Buy has...in case she drops it or something.

I just picked up a mac mini for my wife. I got a mid-2011 model, i5 with the 500 gb drive and 2 gig of ram. First upgrade was to 8 gig of ram. Including ram, $435, as i already had a 22" monitor and keyboard. I might throw in an SSD, not sure if i need it.
The mini has replaced a dell core 2 duo notebook that never left the desk.
Miner

I'm reminded of how nice it was that the NSX was out of production when I was shopping - no weighing any of this "buy now vs. later" stuff!

I'm hoping you guys will humor me and offer some counterpoint that I may be overlooking. Looking to pickup my first mac laptop as a secondary computer for travel while keeping my 2006 Mac Pro as the workhorse for photoshop/logic express, and syncing my key files via Dropbox or iCloud drive... I tried using my iPad remotely w/keyboard for "productive" work but so far, reaching & touching the screen in lieu of a mouse or trackpad for anything other than email or games or light surfing just doesn't cut it. But I'm thinking the current price redux deals are too tempting to wait for any marginal possible improvements in September (unless they finally come out with that combo 12" ipad/macbook with separable screen and dual boot-up osx/os!) given that the current MBA & MBP w/retina base processor, drive type (SSD), 4GB memory, and 128GB storage offerings are pretty damn incredible and likely more than any user should need in a second computer. Spending any more seems like it'd yield only marginal extra value.

Also I have a slight sense (deserved or not) that Apple is going cheapish on components as time goes on, trying to maintain or increase margins and/or broaden their supply base w/o risking too much with one supplier while keeping prices somewhat stable with each new introduction of improved technology.... Each of my Apple purchases for 1st gen items have had quality problems that got fixed later and were big hassles. 2006 Mac Pro graphics cards, iPhone 4 antenna, iPad 1 wireless issues that required apple to replace the entire iPad.... I have this constantly reinforced feeling that newer is not necessarily better with Apple...

So I stopped at the Apple store today and realized a few things that were pretty eye-opening since I really hadn't spent a lot of time researching this stuff online. Are any of these surprises to anyone else?

- There's really not much of a size/weight difference between the 13" MBA vs MBP w/retina: 3 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs.
- The current MBP's w/retina have flash-based storage like MBA's. I thought only the MBA's had SSD's.
- With Dropbox or iCloud drive type syncing, 128GB is really a lot for the person who's not going to rely on their laptop as their only computer.
- 11" is just too small unless size is the highest priority. 12" MBA w/retina this fall? I'd rather have that extra 1" screen size. 13" versions also allow the SD card for extra storage vs. 11 inchers.
- 9 hours MBP w/retina vs. 12 for MBA - both are just incredible especially compared to the 1.5 hour battery I've been used to with my Toshiba work laptop for the past 2 years. If I'm working at a laptop for longer than 9 hours between charges more than 1x a month, please someone help me find new or different hobbies. It seems some pre-2013 versions are to be avoided due to the significant battery performance upgrade in the 2013 Haswell's & beyond.
- Both the MBA & MBP w/retina have 4BG base memory, which is really a lot for a light/average user. Stepping up to 8BG is just a $100 upgrade. I remember when 1 or 2GB was standard and 4GB seemed incredible. I'm finding it awful easy at times to get caught up thinking 4BG is not enough and 8 is a must, but that just doesn't make sense (I think) unless that laptop is someone's sole workhorse.

Retina screen is officially a must for me after today. And, it's getting easy to find a base 4BG 128BG 13" MBP w/retina for around $1050 to $1200 shipped w/o tax but w/o apple care. Basically both the base MBA & MBP w/retina offer similar specs for a $300 difference, with the key differences being the Retina screen & processing power upgrade and slightly lower battery life for the MBP w/retina.

So - $1000 base MBA vs. $1300 base MBP w/retina before any ongoing discounts, and even less at macmall or apple refurbished & others...) For average use, can anyone chime in for why anyone should wait at this point and pass up some nice 20-25% savings?

Edit: Oh yeah - for me I think it'll be be MBP +retina. I'm OK with "only" 9 hours of battery life for an extra $300 of retina display and a slight uptick in performance, and the MBA really isn't that much lighter.

Edit#2: I tend to keep 5+ programs & windows open simultaneously…so now I think 8GB ram is the way to go. Get it while you can since it's not upgradeable and only $100, even though sticking with only 4GB and putting up with occasional cache-ing to the 128g flash wouldn't be that big of a deal since caching to a flash drive is a hell of a lot faster now than caching to an HDD was.

Last edited:
I personally went for the MBA mainly because of price. In 3 years, the laptop will be obsolete/damaged, so I will be replacing it. The extra $300 you are paying for is solely for the retina display and in personally didn't value that. The speed difference is marginal. Graphic engine is marginal. The weight, on paper, is only a half pound difference, however the form factor of the air just feels more compact due to the wedge design. In all, you are pretty solid with picking either. I doubt there will be major changes to either lineup this fall. Then again, I am just speculating like everyone else.

I'm reminded of how nice it was that the NSX was out of production when I was shopping - no weighing any of this "buy now vs. later" stuff!

I dont know, I think some people are discussing this on the NSX 2.0 forum. Do I wait for a 2nd year so the new bugs are sorted out? What if its like the GTR though and MSRP keeps jumping up drastically every year? But maybe if I wait I can get it for below MSRP :biggrin:

Also I have a slight sense (deserved or not) that Apple is going cheapish on components as time goes on, trying to maintain or increase margins and/or broaden their supply base w/o risking too much with one supplier while keeping prices somewhat stable with each new introduction of improved technology.... Each of my Apple purchases for 1st gen items have had quality problems that got fixed later and were big hassles. 2006 Mac Pro graphics cards, iPhone 4 antenna, iPad 1 wireless issues that required apple to replace the entire iPad.... I have this constantly reinforced feeling that newer is not necessarily better with Apple...

I obviously can't claim to know the truth here but from a design/engineering standpoint all I see is Apple pushing the envelope of what's being done in the industry (machined metal cases, integrated antennas within a metal chassis, high dpi screens, sapphire instead of glass, ways to reduce size/weight by shaving off fractions of a millimeter, class leading battery performance, finger print scanners, the best trackpads, and just generally absurd levels of build quality and tolerances. I could keep on elaborating but all I see is a company that is obsessed with *trying* to do better, and certainly not taking the easy route out. Like every other company, they have their faults, but I suspect that they're problems caused by trying to do too much rather than pad their margins. For the record, despite the Cupertino address and what probably came off as fanboyism, I dont work for Apple (just thought I should mention that).

So I stopped at the Apple store today and realized a few things that were pretty eye-opening since I really hadn't spent a lot of time researching this stuff online. Are any of these surprises to anyone else?

- There's really not much of a size/weight difference between the 13" MBA vs MBP w/retina: 3 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs.

The gap narrowed here a lot when the MBP retinas decreased .25" in thickness over the non retina versions. The big differentiator used to be that one had an optical drive and one didnt, now thats out of the way its just the lower power CPU

- The current MBP's w/retina have flash-based storage like MBA's. I thought only the MBA's had SSD's.

The entire line has moved to SSDs (thankfully) aside from the iMac which still has just the optional SSDs/fusion drive. The Macbook pros got it standard with the retina update and the mac pro with the new gen redesign

- With Dropbox or iCloud drive type syncing, 128GB is really a lot for the person who's not going to rely on their laptop as their only computer.

Dropbox still stores its files locally so I wouldn't think of it so much as a place to offload files. If you happen to already have a MBP/Air and ran out of SSD space this is a pretty convenient way to offload media files and other things that don't need SSD speed: http://www.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrivelite/

- 11" is just too small unless size is the highest priority. 12" MBA w/retina this fall? I'd rather have that extra 1" screen size. 13" versions also allow the SD card for extra storage vs. 11 inchers.

I think Microsoft felt the same since they bumped up the screen size of the new surface 3 tablet

- 9 hours MBP w/retina vs. 12 for MBA - both are just incredible especially compared to the 1.5 hour battery I've been used to with my Toshiba work laptop for the past 2 years. If I'm working at a laptop for longer than 9 hours between charges more than 1x a month, please someone help me find new or different hobbies. It seems some pre-2013 versions are to be avoided due to the significant battery performance upgrade in the 2013 Haswell's & beyond.

With the 15 inch retina all I need to do is fire up the dedicated GPU or have a few too many chrome tabs open and that 8 hour battery life drops to 3 easily. Your workflow and what you have open greatly affects what battery life you get. The battery life still is remarkable though. Just reboot into windows and watch it drop...

- Both the MBA & MBP w/retina have 4BG base memory, which is really a lot for a light/average user. Stepping up to 8BG is just a $100 upgrade. I remember when 1 or 2GB was standard and 4GB seemed incredible. I'm finding it awful easy at times to get caught up thinking 4BG is not enough and 8 is a must, but that just doesn't make sense (I think) unless that laptop is someone's sole workhorse.

It's still pretty easy to use up 4gb of ram doing basic things, although having an SSD and presuambly the mavericks memory compression helps mitigate some of the slow page file problems you would've seen in the past

Retina screen is officially a must for me after today. And, it's getting easy to find a base 4BG 128BG 13" MBP w/retina for around $1050 to $1200 shipped w/o tax but w/o apple care. Basically both the base MBA & MBP w/retina offer similar specs for a $300 difference, with the key differences being the Retina screen & processing power upgrade and slightly lower battery life for the MBP w/retina.

So - $1000 base MBA vs. $1300 base MBP w/retina before any ongoing discounts, and even less at macmall or apple refurbished & others...) For average use, can anyone chime in for why anyone should wait at this point and pass up some nice 20-25% savings?

Edit: Oh yeah - for me I think it'll be be MBP +retina. I'm OK with "only" 9 hours of battery life for an extra $300 of retina display and a slight uptick in performance, and the MBA really isn't that much lighter.

Edit#2: I tend to keep 5+ programs & windows open simultaneously…so now I think 8GB ram is the way to go. Get it while you can since it's not upgradeable and only $100, even though sticking with only 4GB and putting up with occasional cache-ing to the 128g flash wouldn't be that big of a deal since caching to a flash drive is a hell of a lot faster now than caching to an HDD was.

The 13 MBP-retina vs the air really is a weird one. Once you're spoiled by the screen it really is hard to go back, but that aside its just a matter of use. The performance difference between the two is pretty large IMO, but like you said, most won't use it. If you just used word processors and web browsers then you really would get so little utility why not have better battery life and something slightly easier to carry? Those users are probably more apt to notice that it looks a lot lighter and has to be charged as infrequently as an ipad. If you're actually doing things that use a little bit more power then the story flips. Definitely get the extra memory... 4gb really isnt much. One more note, I think the MBPs are using faster SSDs than the MBA as well.

Keep in mind that neither the Air or Pro are upgradable for RAM -- what you buy is what you get. Get 8 GB -- you may not need it now, but in a year or two when you do, you'll be thankful you got it. And if you never do, it's only a hundred bucks.

Keep in mind that neither the Air or Pro are upgradable for RAM -- what you buy is what you get. Get 8 GB -- you may not need it now, but in a year or two when you do, you'll be thankful you got it. And if you never do, it's only a hundred bucks.

Bob, I agree with you 100% in general. In fact I'm not sure what I was thinking this weekend when I said that. 4 seems like a lot compared to a few years ago but also I think software makers and we users keep finding ways to use more memory, so may as well go as big as you can with a non-upgradeable unit like this, ignoring the advantage that SSD's have with cache swapping vs. with HDD swapping when ram gets filled.

But after looking into options a little more this weekend, the only thing skewing that logic for now is this unique point in time where jumping up to 8GB is no longer a $100 option, technically. It's not hard to get the base 4GB 128GB 13" MBA for around $800 now outside of the Apple store (best buy is offering it for $950 minus a $150 educational discount, which I can get). Then the only way to get 8GB is to also have to step up to the bigger SSD. Suddenly 8GB requires spending up to over $1050-1100, and at that point I'd rather wait for an MBA retina and be done with it. I realized this weekend that retina is a must for my aging eyes! I'd consider a 13" 4GB non-retina only if it was at a crazy price, like $600. I'm sure there are many others in the same loop. A little similar to: you want an in-dash GPS that should cost you only $200? Sorry, you have to spend $3500 for the sunroof/footrub/backscratcher/chilled glovebox package!

This is a pretty helpful price guide that I found over the weekend.
http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide

With the 15 inch retina all I need to do is fire up the dedicated GPU or have a few too many chrome tabs open and that 8 hour battery life drops to 3 easily. Your workflow and what you have open greatly affects what battery life you get. The battery life still is remarkable though. Just reboot into windows and watch it drop...

That's a great reality check. Thanks for that. AAPL advertises some stellar battery life specs, but only under basic surfing/music use. I came to the conclusion this weekend that maximum battery life is a must, so no MBP retina for me, but retina is a must for my aging eyes, so no MBA for me. So I think I'm waiting untiil some combo of long-life broadwell retina MBA/MBP/whatever! As for Dropbox - yes, the thing I like most about it is that files are stored locally, for ease of syncing & editing with another computer. I was just trying to say that I'd likely keep very few files *only* on the laptop, so dropbox is just a great vessel to place certain files I need access to away from home.

I ventured out this weekend to compare retina to non-retina once more and realized how much easier retina is to work with and is truly a must-have for me next time. For some reason, my eyes always try to focus something that seems slightly out of focus, causing a tremendous amount of strain & headache at times when forced to work on a PC where the resolution is set so that the text is ever so slightly fuzzy...which made me realize another reason why I hate ios7 so much...all the translucent & blurry backgrounds and overlays are very distracting (and completely unecessary) IMHO, since my eyes (or brain?) just don't take well to that unnecessary blurry adornment. Hoo boy I hope OS Yosemite has a setting to minimize the translucency just like the gave in and will offer a dark mode. The "dark mode" on ios7 where it only inverts colors so that it looks like your phone is on a pink, green, and black acid trip is so amateurish.

But now that MBP's are morphing into MBA's with lighter weight, SSD's, lower pricing, and no optical drive, it sure makes you expect either some convergence this fall between MBA & MBP's into one line, or: a "reset" where the MBA line essentially morphs into something like the current retina MBP and then the "next gen" MBP regains separation from the MBA line by becoming super-sized with new functionality to set it apart significantly, like a separable screen tablet/laptop iPad/MBP combo with dual boot option to iOS or OS!

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence going to a new MacBook Pro 15" and using it to replace my desktop. I'm ready to try something new. Just hoping the laptop would work well as a desktop replacement.

On a side note, I'm finally happy with my yoga2 pro. Resolutions are working right and photoshop 2014 has scaling for high res.

You shouldn't have a problem at all. If anything, get a larger monitor and either dual screen or mirror it.

Back