• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MAC OR PC which is better?

I just think its ironic that Apple proclaims their stuff as "virus and malware proof" and sells customers systems based on that premise, then when their computer does get malware on it Apple employees are instructed to neither confirm or deny what has happened? Seems a bit two faced to me.

Actually, Apple doesn't proclaim anything of the sort. Apple actually suggests that you protect your computer appropriately. Particularly in mixed networks where a Mac could pass along a virus to a PC.

It's the Mac users who are the ones proclaiming that they've been untouched.

Apple makes huge inroads in enterprise as corporate Mac sales surge 66%

By Neil Hughes
Published: 11:45 AM EST

Mac sales in the enterprise during Apple's last fiscal quarter grew a whopping 66 percent, significantly outpacing the rest of the PC market, which grew just 4.5 percent in the enterprise.

The data from Apple's previous fiscal quarter was highlighted on Friday by analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company. He said though he originally viewed success in the enterprise as a "one-quarter blip," it now appears to be a "durable platform" for Apple.

"Mac shipments in the business market grew at a torrid 66.0% pace, an order of magnitude higher than the 4.5% shipment growth rate of the business market," Wolf wrote.

The trend is particularly interesting because between 2007 and 2009, Mac sales in the enterprise stagnated even as the platform was taking off with consumers. The trend has only reversed over the past four quarters....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...terprise_as_corporate_mac_sales_surge_66.html

One thing I dont' really like is the way that Apple has unapologetically tarnished ATT's reputation.

The iphone has crappy reception- period.

I've had an ip4 for a week now. I drop calls like crazy.

Never experienced this with my att blackberry. :confused:

Kudos to ATT for not publicly dissing Apple- even when their exclusivity deal was ending. I would have thrown them under the bus.

A - widget seller #1, 98% marketshare
B - widget seller #2, 2% marketshare

A sells 980 units.
B sells 20 units.

Next year:
A sells 970 units.
B sells 30 units.

B press release: B has a 50% increase in sales! HUGE inroads! We are AWESOME.

Press asks A about their 1% drop in sales. A response: There was a drop in sales? Sorry, didn't notice. Meh, just market variance.

Yes, Apple's market share in business grew from a little less than 2% to 3%! (translating into a 66% increase in Mac sales to businesses) HUGE inroads!

A 66% increase of nothing, is still... nothing.

You're reply means nothing. :rolleyes:
From less than 2% to 3% IS an increase, guess you failed math in school.

Yes, we all know Windows machines are the majority, but that's slowly changing, faster in some fields. I know the Marine Corps has been upgrading to Macs in the photography/video MOS field, and the Navy is probably doing the same. On the other hand, every computer on the Navy/Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) is leased from Dell. Wonder how much we are paying for that, since we all know Dell computers are cheap. We have no choice but to use them, and we all hate them. POS are always breaking down, freezing, etc.. and getting them serviced is a pain in the ass. We have to call in for a repair ticket, and it takes weeks for them to come in and fix them. Which also reminds me, we've had a printer that hasn't been working for almost a year now, and it's been on order just as long. We're not allowed to add a printer to these computers if it doesn't come from NMCI, even if the printer is not gonna be on the network.

A sells 980 units.
B sells 20 units.

Next year:
A sells 970 units.
B sells 30 units.

Press asks A about their 1% drop in sales. A response: There was a drop in sales? Sorry, didn't notice. Meh, just market variance.

I am with you. Fanboys don't get it. They have to worship whatever they read or some cases write..

Anyone can manipulate percentages.

Last edited:

A sells 980 units.
B sells 20 units.

Next year:
A sells 970 units.
B sells 30 units.

Caustic,

It's not really breakthrough news that there's a heck of lot more PC out there than Macs.

What is news, however, are the trends.

There's a reason why Apple's market cap (309 Bln) exceeds Microsoft's (204 Bln).

There's a reason why Apple's stock price ($334) exceeds Microsoft's ($24).

There's a reason why Jobs is rated very highly as a CEO where Ballmer....not so much.

There's a reason why PC owners are buying Macs (and iPads) but rarely vice versa.

Furthermore, I'd be more concerned about profitability than pure marketshare.

For example, iPhone currently has a 5% marketshare of the global smartphone market. I'm sure you would laugh at that measly number, right?

However, iPhone has 55% of all the profits in the same market. That impresses me a whole lot more than the 5% marketshare.

Source: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05...ortunebrainstormtech+(Fortune+Brainstorm+Tech)

Last edited:
OMFG!!!!

Y'all are still on this shit!!!!

They both suck, just choose which ever floats your boat the longest.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
because MSFT has split so many times over the years?

Well, it's easy enough to bring up a chart. MSFT last split in Feb 2003 and AAPL last split in Feb 2005.

So, if you look at a chart for the past 5 years it will be split-free.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=aapl+msft

And yes, share price by itself is meaningless. That's why I mentioned other things as well.

You can see other key financial metrics at the above link.

-Jim

And Microsoft is mainly a software company.

If I recall correctly, there are no Microsoft made desktops or laptops.

Well, yeah but what's the point? Is this why Apple's has better financials?

I mean, MSFT has tried to get into the hardware game with some success (X-Box) and some failures (Zune).

I am taking this from this guy called "Matt Dupre" from a recent FB discussion, I love the way he just puts things, love it lol:

"The difference between "Mac" and "PC" is entirely in the operating system used, same holds true for linux... it's all the exact same hardware and the vast majority of you are absolutely retarded and have no basis for an opinion.

Generally speaking a Mac OS is designed to be "beyond hope tier" retard proof and as a side effect not nearly as compatible in a "give the retards enough things to play with and they'll choke and impale themselves on everything" kind of way.

A Windows OS is designed to be regular retard proof with growing room for the semi-intelligent and above to do the majority what they'd like without being babysat too hard and is compatible with practically everything.

And since the idea of Linux probably already gives the majority of you migraines and anyone who knows anything about Linux doesn't need any clarification I'll just end with..

Purchasing anything with an Apple or Alienware logo retail is like buying a car from a dealership for 150% of the sticker price. You're paying in the high hundreds if not low thousands extra for a pretty case and a brand name that means nothing because the brand doesn't do anything but make that pretty case and put newegg.com parts in it. Example: I built a computer with the EXACT parts of a standard Mac Pro (including a legit copy of snow leopard AND a hardly used Mac Pro case) for ~$1900 less than the apple store sold it for (yes, that means somewhere around $600, keyboard, mouse, and dvd burner included, no corners cut).

If any of this by chance got through to the less stubborn of you faggots. Do your wallet an enormous favor, pick the retardedly overpriced computer you like, type in all the silly numbers and letters for each part in the newegg.com search box and pay some local nerd $20 to put it together for you, for any further questions call up said nerd and he'll be more than happy to help. Then BAM! you have whatever operating system you prefer on an entirely equivalent machine for $500-$1400 instead of $1500-$3200

TL;DR: The only difference between a "Mac" and a "PC" is one little installation disc, please do the world a favor and commit suicide if you are unable to comprehend this simple fact. If you don't mind throwing money away for what can only be considered a minor convenience all I care is that you are aware of what you're doing, thanks for your time."

====
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: love it!!

Again, as Mac user since the low 90's .. my main reason is to have a strong platform for graphics that gives me 0 issues (I have never played a game of any of my macs, that's why I have a Play Station) .... if I was a programer, yes, I'd rocking a PC .. but yeah, the guy above sums up everything! LOL

Oscar

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/23/dell-xps-15z-review/

Tried to copy the Macbook pro. Did a pretty good job. Its a lot less money for about the same performance. Much worse battery life though.

"These two laptops are not equals, but they never had to be -- for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars less than the Mac competition, Dell's unleashed an attractive, powerful and definitely desirable Windows PC. It's perhaps desirable enough to woo buyers who prefer Windows but love the Mac aesthetic. We suspect that's Dell's plan here, because while we really appreciate the XPS 15z's metal construction and choice parts, it hasn't really changed the game.

It's no lighter, thinner or particularly better armed than the competition, and when it tried to borrow the MacBook Pro's flair, it picked up some of Apple's failings along the way. We're not just talking about the inability to having chunky USB peripherals plugged in at the same time, but rather the ability to configure and upgrade the machine. While that dual-core Core i7 processor, GeForce GT525M GPU, 8-cell battery and DVD drive are nice to have, that's the best you'll get here -- even though Dell's slightly chunkier XPS 15 is configurable with quad-core processors, faster video options and a Blu-ray drive to deliver extra value to that 1080p screen."

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what computer you use. It's what you create with that computer that's important.

Back