• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Major update in 2005

I was at the Japanese book store today and came across little article about 2005 NSX. It said that there is 70% chance that Honda will update the current NSX before the all new NSX debut in 2006. The upgrade will include the new i-VTEC 3.5L engine along with possible SMG tranny, and Brembo brakes. It will be in show room by November 2004

If this is true, :eek: What do you think? I thought the new NSX/HSC will be here in 2005?

Methinks this is most unlikely... A new engine is just way too much change. That's a redesign really... And an SMG tranny? Oy vey! I can't imagine Honda would do their first ever SMG in an intermediary refresh...

I think they will keep the status quo until the HSC.

Akira said:
I was at the Japanese book store today and came across little article about 2005 NSX. It said that there is 70% chance that Honda will update the current NSX before the all new NSX debut in 2006. The upgrade will include the new i-VTEC 3.5L engine along with possible SMG tranny, and Brembo brakes. It will be in show room by November 2004

If this is true, :eek: What do you think? I thought the new NSX/HSC will be here in 2005?

70% chance? The mag needs better sources. Theres no reason why honda would update the engine and not the whole car for only 1 or 2 years before the hsc comes out.

Akira said:
Honda will update the current NSX before the all new NSX debut in 2006. The upgrade will include the new i-VTEC 3.5L engine along with possible SMG tranny, and Brembo brakes. It will be in show room by November 2004

This sounds like the HSC itself.

Akira said:

False.

They would never commit the R&D and development cost for that radical of a change for such a short production run, IMO

LOL

you goto love those HONDA designers, when ever any jurnalist calls for information about thier next release, who ever picks up the phone start shooting bull*&T from atop of thier heads and the jurnalists actually believe it !!

waw I want to work for HONDA :D

Wow--

If only it said there was a 71% chance, I'd bet the farm on it!!

Honda ain't doing anything different until the HSC comes out, IF it comes out in '06!!

Honda has clearly shown time and time again they are on no type of deadline whatsoever regarding the NSX, or HSC for that matter.

If they were going to make major changes to the current NSX, they'd have done so A VERY LONG TIME AGO.

I do, however, believe Honda realizes it needs to poo or get off the pot, and the HSC will be a drastic step up. Don't kid yourself--we'd ALL like to see the HSC with AT LEAST 375 HP

That said, tell that magazine writer to put the bong down. He might have a career in meteorology!!!

Actually although I would think it would be unlikely that Honda would do this it should not be so easily discounted. If you think about it the rationality is just like GM does with the Corvette, or did that is. They would introduce the new generation small block one model year prior to a cars redesign. Remember the Grand Sport a few years back?
Again I doubt it but a last year run with Brembo brakes, and the new drivetrain to work out the kinks for the next generation car, could happen.... Plus I would think the new Ivtec motor should be much cheaper, it is based on the new TL motor which if you've seen dyno graphs is pretty darn good compared to the NSX motor and some minor mod's away from 300hp.
Plus something like this shoudln't rain on the next generations parade, after all to compete with the new cars out there, Honda needs a lot more than "more than 300hp".... Can you say turbo charged 3.5 ltr NSX?
Honda and turbo's are a thing of the past that could come back, they have been all about n/a but so has BMW and BMW has already indicated that new turbo motors are on the way!

Akira said:

Was there any mention in the article about an imminent change to the JDM horsepower limit agreement? If the limit were raised or removed, increases in power output of many Japanese sports cars would probably happen quickly, with manufacturers racing to out-power one another.

jon69 said:
BMW has already indicated that new turbo motors are on the way!

when did that happen?

I would agree with Jon.

I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand.

It's entirely possible that a new engine could be ready prior to completion of a new body/interior.

Because the NSX is such a limited production car makes this even more likely.

Tooling wears out. Production orders and lead times have an effect. Honda might be faced with a situation of making expensive small production runs. If the new engine is based on an existing design, it might make more sense to phase that in now.

-Jim

jon69 said:
Honda and turbo's are a thing of the past that could come back, they have been all about n/a but so has BMW and BMW has already indicated that new turbo motors are on the way!

Do you have a source for this????

Very very strange. I read an interview to the M division director and he stated that Turbo adn Supercharger will not be considered at all... (Auto, Motor und Sport interview of last week).

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/53938

Back