• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Marga Hill Conversion

guys,
has anyone ever done this before?

nsx-01.jpg

nsx-rear-fender-f.jpg

i need some opinions...what do you guys thing about this? do you still see the NSX within or would this conversion shifts the image a bit? anyone have bigger pictures?

Chris@ SoS.....don't hate me for borrowing the pics. :D

i have not seen this kit on the car in person but i have the lecher side steps,ww front lip and i think it gives the nsx a 355 flair and i love the look.There are those who say it looks ricey but to each his own and if you like it .....thats all that matters.

thanks Pilot,
if i squinch my eyes and forget about the wing in the rea, i think it would look clean. hmmmm....thanks for responding. i thought i was outcast for posting something as such.

The marga hills flare was my favorite kit. That was until I talked the guys at SoS. They said it fits like sh*t. Thus they are making a similar kit. Not sure if its out yet, but it might be a good idea to talk to them first. Although if you have the means, you can make anything fit properly. In that case I like the kit. Mo - Elite.

What I do not like are the silver meshes in the side air intake. Black would be better... and of course the wing.

The rest is quite nice... I cannot live without an "intake" in the sideskirt anymore! :D

hey yellowpad,
i have learned, (through my rather extensive and painful research), that the marga parts do require a bit more fitment work as opposed to say the taitec parts. i hear nothing but raves about how the taitec quarters fit compared to the marga quarters. however, they are a bit more boxy. what i would suggest if you aren't in a hurry, is to wait a few weeks. i don't want to speak out of line, but i think you'll have another option that you would be happy with by then. give chris at SOS a call he'll explain everything to you.

on a side note, beware of buying used body parts. there have been fakes sold on the market. and they are very, very CRAPPY. be safe buy from chris.

thank you very much pixelhaus!! i will take your suggestion on this.

pixelhaus said:
hey yellowpad,
i have learned, (through my rather extensive and painful research), that the marga parts do require a bit more fitment work as opposed to say the taitec parts. i hear nothing but raves about how the taitec quarters fit compared to the marga quarters. however, they are a bit more boxy. what i would suggest if you aren't in a hurry, is to wait a few weeks. i don't want to speak out of line, but i think you'll have another option that you would be happy with by then. give chris at SOS a call he'll explain everything to you.

on a side note, beware of buying used body parts. there have been fakes sold on the market. and they are very, very CRAPPY. be safe buy from chris.

yellowpad said:
thank you very much pixelhaus!! i will take your suggestion on this.
Hi "yellowpad"

I can't understand why anyone at SOS would have anything bad to say about the Phase/Marga Hills kit. Maybe others are misunderstanding SOS, maybe SOS doesn't really know, maybe their experience was with fake parts? hmmn... maybe because they are making a similar kit??? :) I think SOS would appreciate that we let SOS speak for themselves.

What I do know is that the "REAL" Phase/Marga Hills kit fits perfect. I have not installed Taitec parts, but I have many e-mails w/pics that show me one's long frustrating process of what I never experienced installing 2 Phase/Marga Hills kits put together!
As well I can't honestly say that this guy did or did not have the capabilities, although his camera work wasn't too bad... :D

One of the Phase kits we did on a 2002 NSX which understandably had issues. The kit is for pre-2002 NSX's, so the hood had to be modified and as for the front bumper... well, we just gave up. As for the rest of the pieces, everything else fit surprisingly perfect!
Keeping in mind, we drive the left side they designed for the right side... the panels that deflect the radiator air flow up the front hood simply needed a small section to be cut off. NBD
Phase chose to discountinue their headlight kit due to fitment issues not meeting their standards... honestly if there were any fitment issues, they were not as bad as what we all have seen here on a regular basis. Just some food for thought...

Saiyonara,

Choritsu-shi

Sensei said:
Hi "yellowpad"

I can't understand why anyone at SOS would have anything bad to say about the Phase/Marga Hills kit. Maybe others are misunderstanding SOS, maybe SOS doesn't really know, maybe their experience was with fake parts? hmmn... maybe because they are making a similar kit??? :) I think SOS would appreciate that we let SOS speak for themselves.

------

hi sensei,
in my conversations with chris at sos and with several others that have extensive experience with a variety of aftermarket body parts, the consensus was that marga parts do not have quite the fit as say taitec, and do require a bit more fitment. now that statement in itself is subjective, but the point is, more fitment=more time=more money regardless of how much more. that's kind of the way i look at it. if you had great luck, that's wonderful!

i am very confident that the new kit from SOS/Cantrell will be better. i think the experience that chris brings to the table can only result in a better product. he's seen a bunch of kits, he's seen the flaws and weaknesses and with Cantrell's expertise is working to create a better product. better product, better fitment=less work=more money in my pocket! :^)

btw, i'm in no way affiliated to any of the aforementioned, and i can't qualify their statements as i have never seen the marga parts. however, i trust these sources very much and don't see any reason why ALL of them would say derogatory statements toward marga hills parts if they didn't experience them.

I like the looks of the MH kit, although I think it may be a bit to edgy for my tastes. I have looked at the Comptech widebody kit as well, and I think I like the looks of that more. Has anyone had any experience with that kit? I know it can be rather pricey, and I wonder if it really worth the price, but I think it accentuates the lines of the NSX very well.

Not that any of this really matters to me, as I don't have an NSX. I'm just looking for a good education. Prepare for the inevitable, i suppose...

poet x,

i'll go out on a limb (again) and say that the comptech kit is very pricey to install. i've heard from a very reputable bodyshop that it takes a bit of work to fit and the results from what he has seen have been less than impressive.

but hey, what do i know and you don't have an nsx anyway;)

Originally posted by pixelhaus
hi sensei,
in my conversations with chris at sos and with several others that have extensive experience with a variety of aftermarket body parts, the consensus was that marga parts do not have quite the fit as say taitec, and do require a bit more fitment. "now that statement in itself is subjective, but the point is, more fitment=more time=more money regardless of how much more. that's kind of the way i look at it. if you had great luck, that's wonderful

Hi pixelhaus, no disrespect to you, but this is not about my luck, this is about my experience with the fitment and quality of an actual Phase/Marga Hills bodykit. I know their products, and I know them well. I can assure you that their fitment is not as you experienced through your conversations with Chris. You personally have never installed or have ever seen their kit... and what concensus are you refering to anyways?

Again, if Chris has had some poor fitment issues with Phase/Marga Hills pieces, I ask that he come forward to explain in greater detail... or one of the "several others that have extensive experience" guys you conversed with.

I too wish the best for SOS/Cantrell's future, but honestly, you can't compare it to their body kit which doesn't even exist yet.
If Chris's experience can only result in a better product, then he has a very big task to acheive. And if it turns out to be a better product? Then it will be a better product because it is... not because of misguided rumors working against a perfectly good product that already exists. I can appreciate your enthusiasm, and know you mean well, but please realize the damaging effects one can start while really having no basis at all.

I have seen and heard the same kinda crap on other forums, about how overpriced HKS products are. This usually from those who can't see, appreciate or understand what is to be considered "high quality" without a bargain price.

"that's kind of the way i look at it"

Sensei;)

sensei,
it is not my intent to spread malicious rumors about marga hills or their products. i can really care less if you think they fit or someone else doesn't. it is somewhat of a subjective opinion anyway. i was merely offering information to someone that was seeking it. Apparently, others have heard the same thing from sos as you can see in the post preceding mine. i stated that my knowledge was based on second hand information and clearly qualified that.
i do, however, own the marga hills front fenders, which my body shop said were 'okay' in quality and fitment. they said they were much better than the fake taitec rears that i have, but not as good as they expected them to be. again, that is a subjective opinion, but i feel that it is legitimate that i offer that information to the forum. i think that is what this forum is for. you can offer your differing opinion and that is fine. we are all here to help. i don't mean to say anything that may affect your business in a negative way, as it seems that may be the driving force behind your defensive rebuttal. people can make their own deductions from the information presented.

For any of you that may be wondering why chris isn’t responding, maybe he feels that it would be inappropriate as a vendor to post any comments on products that he offers? Who knows. If anyone is interested in the parts and want to know what he thinks, call him. considering that he sells the parts, I’m sure he won’t say anything that may cost him the sale, right?

No offense and none taken.
;)

Sensei, after reading your posts on this thread I must step in and give my .02 cents. I have attended auto collision/paint school, and I have worked extensively with composites. Therefore I feel I am qualified to judge the quality of a composite body part. I have owned Taitec, Marga hills,Kawagen Burn up, Lechers, and Sorcery body panels. For you to say that Marga Hills quality is perfect is ridiculous. I have had REAL Marga rear quarters, side by side with Taitec rear quarters. I personally like the look of the Marga quarters better BUT, the Taitecs quality is superior, I will tell you why.
1. Taitec Quarters fit perfectly on the car-a direct bolt on-enlarging the mounting holes inorder to shift the panel is unnecessary.
2. In SOME areas Taitec uses machined and tig welded brackets instead of molding on flimsy fiberglass tabs like Marga does, which will break if you tighten the bolt too much.
3. Taitec mounting holes are machined into the body panels using a high speed cutter, which results in perfect holes which do not have ragged edges.
Marga mounting holes are are drilled with a regular drill and to create an oval hole, it appears they just wiggled the drill bit around, which tears up the surrounding fiberglass.
4.Taitec quarters come out of the box straight
The marga hills quarters were twisted and warped.
5. Taitec gel coat and surface finish is about the best I have seen so far for aftermarket body panels. My instructor said they were the best fiberglass panels he had ever seen. Marga Panels leave something to be desired. especially the area where the bumper meets up with the quarter.
Marga front fenders will require work at the seam were the bumper meets the fender.
Are you responsible for the white 2002 nsx at the sema show? From the photos I saw it appears you didn't even test fit the panels before you had them painted. All of the gaps were terrible and the fit was way off. Your excuse that the hood had to be modified is lame. If you had some skill you could have done it perfectly. Ask pixelhaus for a photo of the Taitec nsx-r hood that I modified to fit 2002 headlights for him-It fits great because I took the time to do it right.

I am sure that you will say that the Marga parts I came into contact were "fake" and that is why they didn't fit. I think you use this as an excuse to justify the problems with the parts. These parts came straight from Japan to me.

I currently own a 1992 nsx with 2002 front end and Sorcery panels, quality is good, but I have seen better. I was willing to make a sacrifice in initial fit to achieve the look I wanted. The way the side skirts mount is ingenious. Any of these panels can be made to fit . The bottom line is that some parts take more work than others, and composite panels are NEVER direct bolt on. Sensei do you work with composites? Do you know how to paint? Or do you just send parts to a body shop who does all of the work for you? If I am wrong then I apologize, but I don't think you know what you are talking about . Pulling a part out of a box and looking at it, it may look smooth , that does not mean it doesn't need to be filled or sanded down in areas in order to fit properly. I have no reason to be biased as I don't sell any of these parts,and I don't have any Taitec parts on my car anymore. This is just my opinion based on the parts I have seen. You sell Marga parts and say they they are perfect, you are totally biased. If you said "Hi I sell marga parts and the quality sucks" no one would buy any marga parts from you. Lastly, if you think the marga parts on the white 2002 sema nsx fit great, then no wonder you think marga parts are perfect. I am not trying to get people riled up. Marga parts are usable, and look GREAT when properly fit and finished. They just need more work than Taitec.

guys,
thank you so much for the inputs......now i have to scratch my head and walk a way from this. i guess i should stay with the OEM looks........wellll maybe, with a louver nsx-r hood--anyone know where i can get one?

yellowpad said:
guys,
thank you so much for the inputs......now i have to scratch my head and walk a way from this. i guess i should stay with the OEM looks........wellll maybe, with a louver nsx-r hood--anyone know where i can get one?

That might be a good idea anyway. I love the MH pieces, so much that I ordered the kit in Carbon Fiber in Feb!!! The kit has been paid for and I have yet to recieve it. They tell me they are having problems making the parts out of CF. I guess that wouldnt be so bad if I could still drive my car, but I sold all of my body panels, so my car has been sitting since Nov!
For what it is worth, they said they have made the front bumper 4 times and it has not been up to their Quality standards, and that is why I havent recieved it yet. I already have the front fenders and side skirts and both of those pieces did need some fitment work, but no more than any other body kit I've used. I think as long as you buy a kit manufactured by a reputable company then you will be ok, just know that nothing fits perfect and all body kits will need some work.

Back