• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Martial arts!!!

I know there has been a similar thread before but mine is asking for a little more insight. Anybody here currently taking or have taken some kind of martial arts class? I took Taekwondo when I was a tike for a a little over a year. I am now 22 and have been thinking a lot about getting back into some kind of martial arts school.

Top 3 reasons for this:

1. I would like to really learn a form of self defense.

2. I want to keep a weekly scheduled activity (hopefully one i enjoy doing) to help me stay in shape and keep my stamina up.

3. I am hoping it will help discipline myself better (to stay a little more motivated and be a little less lazy)

What form did you train? How much did enjoy it? Was it worth it? Just some of your input would be greatly appreciated!

Run 40 minutes non stop 5 days a week. lift weights 3 days a week create demand, eat well rest well. Traing 3 times per week focus on your weakness. Stretch 6 days a week 20 minutes at end.

No one can tell you what is best for you except yourself as body types and goals differ. I train for real world situations as such, Filipino martial arts, JKD concepts, and recently BJJ for ground stuff. Kickboxing is excellent for sparing.

I don't know whom I have faith in Ohio to recommend, so here is the list.

http://inosanto.com/?page_id=76

I would strongly suggest learning a form that is heavy in Jiu-Jitsu (grapples and holds). This is the best real-world self-defense and typically concentrates very little in offensive moves.

I personally felt Aikido and Judo are a little light on actual real-world scenarios and fully stopping an attacker but most martial arts are too light on the Jiu-Jitsu techniques. I'd recommend Aikido and Judo over most but there are better forms.

I studied Kempo for many years and loved it but I found it a little too heavy on form and offense although it does have enough Jiu-Jitsu. Kenpo is a more prevalent style but that was definitely too light on the Jiu-Jitsu.

I am a huge believer in flexibility as a factor in fitness. Stretch as much as you can and your body will be able to do much more in return and you will be injured far less.

Consistency is the key. Better to work out a little every day than heavy occasionally. On weights concentrate on medium weight and high reps. Run every day and eat at least 6 times per day throughout the day. Avoid carbs at night and increase protein intake. If you're active calories shouldn't be a big concern. An active body will burn just about all the calories available. Drink at least 64 oz of water a day and cut back on overall sugar intake. Simply replacing soda with water works wonders for this.

Anybody here currently taking or have taken some kind of martial arts class?
What form did you train? How much did enjoy it?
Was it worth it?

Just some of your input would be greatly appreciated

- 1 year traditional Muay Thai. Few years Pan Nam / Yip Man Wing Chun.
Some Chin Na and grappling. (main art is Wing Chun tho)
- I enjoyed all of it much, especially WC applications.
- VERY worth it.
- Do it all. It's a good way to self-discovery.

Fwiw, Grandmaster Eddie Chong has a branch in Ohio too, if you're interested.

If your main emphasis is on point 1, there is nothing (in my opinion) that comes near Krav Maga and there are a few certified centers in Ohio.

Very much...but where in Ohio is he located?

Kyle Weygandt, owner of "East Wind Shaolin Boxing Academy" in Canton, Ohio.
He is a recognized teacher under Grandmaster Eddie Chong and teaches
Yip Man Wing Chun, Pan Nam Yong Chun, Bak Mei, and Chin Na.
(the same things my sifu teaches, except my sifu also knows Muay Thai.)
His student, Bert Lesley (who also teaches), chatted with me through
youtube a few times. You could email Bert for exact location.
[email protected]

I believe there are other Wing Chun schools in Akron and Dayton,
but of different family lineage.

Fwiw, my sifu's name is Jimmy Sok, MN Wing Chun.
Good luck and Be Well

Very happy with Krav Maga here from a real world application perspective. I just started though and it's an ass kicker, both physically and mentally. The one thing I hae learned so far is that size does not matter! Technique, speed and willings ness to bring the pain can take any size attacker...that doesn't have more skill than you :)

The one thing I'm not sure about is ground work, which I think Krav is light in. I'lll be looking at that after a year of Krav...

Do it!

I have been an avid Kendo enthusiast for over 20 years. Its Japanese fencing.

Martial arts is a way to condition the body and mind first, a means of self-defense/aggression last.

Kendo's attraction to me is the fact that its mainly esoteric. There's no real world scenario which will allow you to bring the use of a katana. However, it is probably one of the most "martial" of the martial arts. Its rigorous, and its emphasis on respect, benevolence and mental growth makes it something I would recommend to anyone who would like to introduce some inner-peace to their lives. The katana is also a great equalizer. Anyone can wield a sword and cause damage, so respect for all ages is something it teaches well. Also because as you become better, you learn to use more mental technique over brute force, you'll find that older kendoists are as much fun to spar with than the young guns. It really is an art you can do over your entire lifespan. Men in their 80's fight regularly with guys in their 20's. The ki (spirit) they exhibit is sometimes awe-inspiring.

If you want to be a well rounded fighter, then I suggest MMA classes.
Taking nothing but BJJ will not help you in the street. While I love my BJJ classes, lets face it, if I get into a fight in a bar, the last thing I want to do is go to the ground. That is when others decide to jump in and beat the snot out of you.

Take either true Muay Thai, Krav Maga, or a true MMA class that teachs BJJ, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga.

Nathan has a point. I have been involved with the mma community for about 11 years now. At the beginning it was more focused towards JJ. We would always do some boxing and Muay Thai but not to much. With in the last 5 years I took my stand up a whole lot serious, and it makes you just well rounded. So you are prepared if it stays standing or hit the floor. But there are so many things to learn in MMA. For me JJ will always be my base (home). I believe you should have a certain base so if you are ever out classed in your weaker area your instincts will help you survive. I always tell my students, no matter what you do always stay humble. You can learn something from everyone you train with. Oh...And HAVE FUN :biggrin:

Most of the special forces train on krav. That's what I'd do if I had the will to focus on it. :tongue:

I currently train traditional (not american) muay thai kick boxing as well as bjj with Fairtex. I highly recommend muay thai and bjj even if you're not training to fight it's a great work out as well as a good method for self defense in real world situations.

My 4 year old daughter just took her first 2 karate lessons. She loves it!

Any advice if she wants to stick with it?

I currently train traditional (not american) muay thai kick boxing as well as bjj with Fairtex. I highly recommend muay thai and bjj even if you're not training to fight it's a great work out as well as a good method for self defense in real world situations.

Traditional Muay Thai was probably the best workout for me too. I also highly recommend that, and mixing it all up. It's all MMA in the end.

I personally think martial arts in any form is great for children. I did karate for a year or so around 4 years old as well, stopped, and then did Tae Kwon Do for 9 years starting at age 9. Great for confidence, exercise, mutual respect, friendships, etc etc. As for self defence... I think it's a good starting base.

1) Hang a heavy bag in your basement, and learn how to punch and kick. Practicing on a heavy bag is a tremendous help in getting your body coordinated.

2) In a fight, you will absolutely more likely than not wind up in a clinch, and possibly on the ground.

Best arts in the clinch: Muaythai and Judo.
Best art on the ground: Brazilian Jiujitsu. Don't confuse this with traditional Japanese jiujitsu, they are VERY different.

You need to also be in very good shape cardio-wise. After you have these down, you supplement with some moves from more traditional martial arts. Eye and groin shots, headbutts, krav-maga style strikes to sensitive areas.

People are always looking for that one move that will KO or submit their oponnent. In al my experience it is KEY that you are comfortable and able to maintain a dominant positition FIRST, the KO or submission technique must come in second. You simply will not be able to apply much of what is taught in traditional martial arts in a real situation because you will not have the position. I have seen this failure many many times. You must control your oponent first both for defense and offense. Muaythai has much in a clinch including excellent elbow and knee strikes, Judo is terrific for simply throwing the other person or keeping him completely off balance. It also works well using their clothes (shirt collar, etc). If you hit the ground, and you very well might, nothing is as well designed and developed as Brazilian jiujitsu.

Take my words on this, I have done MMA for many years, trained in many different arts, and one of my closest friends and original training partners is a #1 ranked fighter in the UFC right now.

Last edited:

If her having fun is important to you, keep her in Karate. If self defense is, and she is THAT young, take her out. Until she is a teenager, keep her in gymnastics. There you will build the foundation for everything she needs for a self defense situation. She will learn balance, coordination, gain strength, and also what is often too overlooked, have great flexibility.

After training in MMA and competing for many years, the guys I hated to go against the most were ones that were gymnasts. They are incredibly hard to deal with. Their combination of unbelievable real strength (not what I call weight bench strength), flexibility and total balance was a nightmare. In one year these guys excel faster in martial arts than a normal person in 10.

Once she reaches her teens then have her learn what I recommended in the post above. Right now she is too young to be learning self defense. The Karate school will bring you in, she will be a "little tiger", you will pay $100 for each "test" and $50 for each of their 25 meaningless multi-colored belts, and you may be happy and proud. She may even break a cheap pine board with the grain facing the right way, but she won't be learning self defense.

Last edited:
If her having fun is important to you, keep her in Karate. If self defense is, and she is THAT young, take her out. Until she is a teenager, keep her in gymnastics. There you will build the foundation for everything she needs for a self defense situation. She will learn balance, coordination, gain strength, and also what is often too overlooked, have great flexibility.

After training in MMA and competing for many years, the guys I hated to go against the most were ones that were gymnasts. They are incredibly hard to deal with. Their combination of unbelievable real strength (not what I call weight bench strength), flexibility and total balance was a nightmare. In one year these guys excel faster in martial arts than a normal person in 10.

Once she reaches her teens then have her learn what I recommended in the post above. Right now she is too young to be learning self defense. The Karate school will bring you in, she will be a "little tiger", you will pay $100 for each "test" and $50 for each of their 25 meaningless multi-colored belts, and you may be happy and proud. She may even break a cheap pine board with the grain facing the right way, but she won't be learning self defense.

Interesting points. Actually she has been in gymnastics for 2 years now and its clear (just from her two lessons in Karate) that it is a big help. Thanks for the insight.

Interesting points. Actually she has been in gymnastics for 2 years now and its clear (just from her two lessons in Karate) that it is a big help. Thanks for the insight.

Brazilian jiujitsu is excellent for women for 2 reasons:

1) it allows a smaller weaker person to use leverage and submit a bigger opponent and

2) Most assault and rape situations happen on the ground with the woman on the bottom. This is one of the most practiced positions in BJJ known as the guard. From the bottom guard you can apply a Kimura, an armbar, a triangle choke, a collar choke any of which will decapacitate the person on top. This position relies a lot on legs, where women actually have some strength unlike the upper body where an average man has maybe 5X the strength of a woman.

While it is good for a woman to know how to strike, I never recommend they rely on this in fighting off a man. There is just too much strength differential. The woman can hit the guy 10 times and it may just piss him off more and one hard strike from a man can do serious damage to a woman. Arts that rely a lot on striking and not enough on a good ground game are of little use to women IMO. I don't like talking about this since your daughter is only 4, but keep this in mind for later as she grows up. Karate is mostly a striking art and these days only the most watered-down version of it is taught in American schools.

Last edited:
You simply will not be able to apply much of what is taught in traditional martial arts in a real situation because you will not have the position. I have seen this failure many many times.

I agree completely with this statement.

Thank you for this info as I too have a 4.5YO daughter. I've always wanted to check out the local Brazilian jiujitsu place (wife's Brazilian so it's a good sell to her too) so this info is very helpful!

Dave

Like I said, I still think that age is very young and gymnastics are the best thing to build a good foundation, with martial arts to follow once they are a little older... maybe 10+. BJJ is up close and personal.... a lot of women are uncomfortable being underneath a hairy sweaty man for too long while he is putting his hands all over her. I'm probably not painting the prettiest picture here, but this is one reason there are few women in BJJ classes. In most of the academies I trained or taught in, we usually paired up 2 women together so they are more comfortable. The ones that stuck it out and learned well were tough cookies to deal with. They could easily defend themselves in an attack.

Back