• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mazda RX-7 FD new refresh program

Quite interesting, let's hope that gives the example for Honda to follow and continue making spare parts for the NSX...
The NSX Refresh Center has been doing this for years in Japan. IIRC, Acura put the feelers out to NSX owners in the US a few years ago and got a lukewarm response. Obviously, the PMC is the perfect facility to do this, but I think the price tag (~$80,000 for a full resto) put people off.

Honda needs to wake up and support their halo cars, especially the NSX and S2000. However, they seem to want to stop production of critical parts as soon as possible. Disappointing to say the least, and very short sighted. Owners of these cars are some of Honda's most loyal, with many buying countless Honda products over decades.

Honda needs to wake up and support their halo cars, especially the NSX and S2000. However, they seem to want to stop production of critical parts as soon as possible. Disappointing to say the least, and very short sighted. Owners of these cars are some of Honda's most loyal, with many buying countless Honda products over decades.
This is because of Honda's very hard drive toward EV and Fuel Cell. They want to focus maximum resources on the future, not the past. I disagree with this because the past halo cars represent big future value as brand vehicles. Honda still hasn't figured out the value you get from brand legends. Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari and Toyota understand this much better and use it to promote their new products.

I really hope they put a NSX Refresh Plan at the PMC and subcontract critical parts to US-based suppliers. It would make projects like my car more feasible to future owners.

I would have thought Honda would not leave us all to dry like this. Is it like this for old cars of similar vintage made by more dedicated sports car companies? Porsche, Ferrari, etc? Do they support their older cars in the US?

The NSX Refresh Center has been doing this for years in Japan. IIRC, Acura put the feelers out to NSX owners in the US a few years ago and got a lukewarm response. Obviously, the PMC is the perfect facility to do this, but I think the price tag (~$80,000 for a full resto) put people off.
I was aware of the Refresh Center in Japan, but what I found interesting was Mazda producing new parts for the FD, which will help owners maintain their car even if they dont go full refresh. Indeed projects like yours would also become possible for those who have the budget. Another interesting point is the FD is quite cheaper than the NSX (with a much simpler, less expensive engine) but Mazda are yet going for a refresh program that will be almost as expensive as Honda's.
Meanwhile NSX parts are disappearing fast and Honda give no sign they want to help us keep our classic cars alive :(

Back