• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McLaren announces a Plugin Phev V6 NSX fighter

Make no mistake . Hybrid with heavy batteries in a sport car is a necessary evil brought on by manufacturers need to fulfill future mandates. Just because other exotic car makers make hybrids doesn't make it more desirable.. They need to do it to survive as a manufacturer. Unless you are tracking your car or flunting your wealth, the excess power is useless for the street. Ask Walter Rohl on how power is too much for the street.

Many including me would argue less HP in a lighter package is more entertaining than a tech heavy overweight modern NSX. Without question Gen 1 is a better car than Gen 2 because it is just more satisfying to drive and it is executed so well. Just because modern cars are faster doesn't make Gen 1 any less special nor desirable.

I get some drivers like outright speed and power. That's fine . But let's not celebrate a 3900 lbs sports cars packing gear to satisfy future mandates. So what if it can accelerate faster. So can a Tesla sedan.

The essence of a sports car for the street is fun to drive. The ability of the car to dance, powered by a sweet engine, and tactile feedback to the driver are the essence of that.

However, if you want a sports car for the track, perhaps the weight and complexity is OK because racing has shown hybrid power is faster. And you get to show main street you got the latest tech gear. But, in this segment, you lose the purity of the sports car.

For the same $158k price, I'd rather buy an NSX with a 9K revving NA 4.0 liter flat crank V8 at under 3500 lbs rather than the NSX we have now, even if it is fractionally slower.

When Honda lose some weight and ditch at least the 2 front motors, then I'll revisit my dealer and bring my check book. I don't want more power. Just ditch the weight.

Honda missed the target audience. It is selling a fraction of what they expected. Meanwhile, if you want to buy a GT3 or GT4, you will have to get in line and Porsche won't have to put $20K to $30K on the hood to move them.

Every time I wander back here I am reminded why most NC1 guys avoid this forum since it is full of NA1 owners that are bitter since a new Honda Civic would show its tail lights to an NA1. I wish I had as much time as you to go to car forums for cars I don't like to crap on them because they are more modern than my beloved 30 year old fred flintstone mobile. Progress, bah humbug. How dare Honda, a company known for engineering excellence and innovation, not continue producing an antiquated 30 year old design.

Back