• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McLaren MP4-12C

I really worry about the turbos and the parts prices for a $250-300k car will be like 3-6 times what our parts prices are I bet

nonono... the MP4-12C to the F1 is like the S2000 to the NSX. modern, great car, but not in the same league. the McLaren dealer claims its reliable and cheaper to repair vs. a Ferrari, but they are trying to make a sale...

We should find a dealer parts database for them, bet that would kill the dream real quick! And unless mclaren comes out w a 911 competitor (which was rumored by hopefuls) then the mp4 will be entry level like the integra not S2K ;)

Last edited:
i don't believe they are in the business of entry level cars... the cheapest one was $260,000.

don't know about maintenance, but to buy one is actually not bad...

McLaren Newport Beach, CA is offering financing... I forget what the rates were, but I figured it out to be about $50,000 down and like $1200/ month.

i could get one, but entry/ exit is hard for me.

An entry level car meaning for their company. Not entry level for someone trying to buy a new vehicle- buy one and make us all jealous!

For $260k I'd rather have a Ford GT and an NSX, plus change.
Not that much change left over - I believe that good GT's are still selling close to 200k.

I do like the GT; just saw one this weekend in fact and MAN does it make a statement! I am not sure I would take it over the more modernized MP4 given the slight cost difference (hey, if you are in the $200k range, what's a few more k?)

For me it is academic though. Until depreciation knocks them down in price or I come up with the next awesome idea and soar to the 1%'rs, I am not affording either ;)

For $260k I'd rather have a Ford GT and an NSX, plus change. I like the MP4-12C, but not that much.

The ford gt was the result of ford buying a Ferrari 360 Modena, disassembling it, copying as much as they could, adding a supercharger, then proudly proclaiming "ford beat Ferrari!" I call "BS". Let's add a supercharger to the 360 and then see who comes out ahead...

Plus, just WHY would you want a ford???? :D

The ford gt was the result of ford buying a Ferrari 360 Modena, disassembling it, copying as much as they could, adding a supercharger, then proudly proclaiming "ford beat Ferrari!" I call "BS". Let's add a supercharger to the 360 and then see who comes out ahead...

Plus, just WHY would you want a ford???? :D

I did not know that! But it does retain its value.

i don't LOVE it enough to get one, besides a Ferrari is much easier to get in and out of... and the "rawness" is still retained. i will be driving an Aventador (among others for comparison) soon, so we will see how that goes, but i think the modern NSX is a Ferrari... and so far, it is the only modern Supercar's that i love.

i will be driving an Aventador (among others for comparison) soon, so we will see how that goes

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4, McLaren MP4-12C and Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale on track Ricordo Tormo track, in Valencia, Spain.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MO4SovrysBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lamborghini Aventador vs Bugatti Veyron vs Lexus LFA vs McLaren MP4-12C

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OGa0pSIbfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
nice, i think i will be enjoying the aventador. lol. now if only someone would let me drive a veyron...

I highly doubt an Aventador is easy to get in and out of... But you are right about ferraris being decent about it.

i don't LOVE it enough to get one, besides a Ferrari is much easier to get in and out of... and the "rawness" is still retained. i will be driving an Aventador (among others for comparison) soon, so we will see how that goes, but i think the modern NSX is a Ferrari... and so far, it is the only modern Supercar's that i love.
Some of the modern Ferraris do seem a bit interesting, and the Achilles heel of ownership (expensive maintenance) may be finally removed with the 7 year maintenance program from Ferrari so it will be interesting to see where they sit.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts about the modern lineup and how liveable they are.

Now the aventador, that thing is a ROCKETSHIP! I would double check my life insurance before getting on that ride :p

ferrari has been reducing maintenance costs with each model. the f430 went to a timing chain, so no more frequent $9000 timing belt services. you still have the frequent clutch jobs with either transmission, though. the 458 i have not looked into yet, but typically the dual clutch transmissions last longer between services. i would assume that based on their free maintenance program.

ferrari's offer easy entry/ exit and lots of interior room. i could fit with a helmet, which is more than i can say for the NSX and Lamborghini's. ride is nice, too. the single clutch F1 transmission is quite nice if you do the shifting, but the Dual Clutch in the 458 is still on the clunky side at low speeds. it is more liveable on a daily basis than the NSX is... if you disregard maintenance costs.

the aventador will be fun, but i have no hopes of it being comfy nor do i intend to purchase one. lol.

Honda has a McLaren and an Italia at the Ohio plant that is working on the next NSX as comparison cars. Which I think is good, now if they'd only change the design (not a fan of the concept car). I'd agree that Ferrari's are more costly to maintain especially when compared to the NSX. Heck I've owned mine for 13 years and would guess my service costs are well under $3k. I think a more reasonable timing belt change for a 360 is around $3k. I was told that the Italia has needed service more than once but the McLaren has been pretty sound. I do like the McLaren design far above the new NSX. And I think the Italia shares some design cues from the HSC. Not sure why the new NSX looks so bland to me.

yeah, an independent would run about $3k for a timing belt on the 360. i was quoting dealer. it is nice they have the competition in there, but honda needs to far exceed those cars as they will surely have better in 2014.

Back