• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mercedes 350slk versus NSX

FGG

Contributing Member
This is a purely aesthetic comment. I have been intrigued with the Mercedes slk55 amg that is being used as the Formula 1 safety car. The local Merc dealer got a 350slk (base trim) in last week. I do not consider myself as a NSX fanatic, and I have tried to keep an open mind when considering other vehicles. I must admit, however, I am not a very mechanical person and if a car in stock trim (or at least in manufacturer based trim options) does not grab me visually I don't give the car a second thought. I went to check it out thinking that in the amg trim I might like this car enough to switch. Again, this is only an aesthetic based opinion, however, the car has not "grown" enough from the 1st generation slk to be even remotely as good looking as the NSX. I was able to park my NSX nose to tail with the SLK (admittedly the slk was the 350 version, not the amg which I do not question as looking more aggressive and better than the 350 in base trim) and the lines of the NSX look much better. It is like comparing a sleek lemans prototype to a nice plump rally car. No real comparison in this man's opinion. I will be interested in seeing the amg version, but I don't think my overall opinion will change. The car is just too small and toy like in appearance. This opinion does not, of course, take into consideration the undoubtedly strong performance capability of the amg version--but, if it doesn't move you at first appearance, it doesn't matter how good it is under the skin, at least to me.

The SLK55 is one hell of a chick-car.

I have driven an SLK320. The car felt and drove just like I imagined: tight, plush, heavy and sluggish. The novelty of the SLK lines has worn off for me.

Now the new SL600 (AMG)....that's another story!

I don't think the SL600 is an AMG. The AMGs (as I understand it) are the SL55 and soon to be SL65. The SL600 though is awesome with the big v12.

Back