• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Metal on metal clunk from front passenger side has me stumped.

I have a metal on metal clunk from front passenger side that has been driving me nuts. I cant pin point what is causing it and I'm getting to the point I'm just going to do this the expensive way and throw new parts at it.

Im thinking sway bar end links. Going to grease them see if that helps

When load is applied to the front passenger side the sound is exacerbated. (Ie; extra weight of a passenger, load transfer when turning) Im still getting a metal on metal knocking sound with small washouts going over railroad tracks whenever the suspension is compressed in a straight line. Its just worse when load is applied. Its sounds as if the suspension is bottoming out but still has a ton of travel left however the Car feels and drives normal no adverse effects. I have had the car on the lift several times. Everything seems tight no play slop torn boots or clue what might be rubbing or hitting under load.

Curent set up:
Eibach progressive lowering springs ( these have to be 15+ years old )
5 year old Koni yellows have them set to the (stiffest setting because it helped reduce the noise)
NSX-R case braces all of them
NSX-R sway bar with polly bushings

I have read that the NSX-R sway bar and case brace can hit and make noise but why would that change after 7+ years of running this setup. Nothing has change on the vehicle no new parts were installed. I don't see any spots where anything is rubbing. I have even put it on my 4 post lift to see if parts get close when the car is sitting on its wheels. Is got me stumped!

Last edited:
If you have a manual steering rack, check the right side of the rack shaft for movement in the rack housing. there is a teflon bushing that wears out, I had some rack knock bushings made if you need one. it goes in the housing on the outer side of the teflon bushing and prevents the movement and noise. You have to take the bellows and inner tie rod off to install it.

Yes, it's a 92 with a manual rack and 60K miles. That could be it. Defiantly something to check. You would feel slop up and down on the rack? Anyway of knowing if they are bad would you feel that in the steering wheel? Going to the shop to check that today. I would like to try that regardless if I will need one anyway at some point. I want to try and figure out what it is before I have the car alined and dialed in for the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Left side has no movement right side has the slightest bit of movement up and down dont know if thats it. But I would like to give your fix a try. PMed

- - - Updated - - -

Found this as well sounds exactly like issue im having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_SphimJcc

Last edited:
Look along the length of the front r-sway bar and lower r-brace to see if there are any marks where they may be touching.
[ if I'm reading your mods right]

Look along the length of the front r-sway bar and lower r-brace to see if there are any marks where they may be touching.
[ if I'm reading your mods right]

No nothing rubbing or shows signs or anything hitting. That was my first thought no clearance issues.

Ordered a replacement bushing for my manual steering rack from Scrapdog2grand think we may have figured it out. Fingers crossed... should know in a few days.

What wheels are you on?

If you're using some kind of hub, it may be that if all other routes have been explored.

Here's something else to maybe look at.

91 NSX Red/Black

I can tell its the front passenger side. This video actually describes it perfectly. I'm Thinking that is what my issue is. I have a new bushing on order should have it Monday. I think the reason I'm getting such a loud noise is I have the SOS Polyurethane steering rack bushings they are a bit stiffer then the OEM. I don't think they are causing the knocking noise just making the noise transfer better due to the increased stiffness .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_SphimJcc
What wheels are you on?

If you're using some kind of hub, it may be that if all other routes have been explored.

I have been using the same wheels for the past 15years no hubs and wheels are specifically made for the NSX. New tires but it was making the noise well before the new tires were installed. I want to get it fixed before I have an alignment done so I don't end up paying for things twice.

Last edited:
Are you using the type r lower brace? I just removed mine today as I could see nothing but direct contact with the oem sway bar. Car feels way better without too in my opinion. I kept the radiator support bar though.

Are you using the type r lower brace? I just removed mine today as I could see nothing but direct contact with the oem sway bar. Car feels way better without too in my opinion. I kept the radiator support bar though.

Yes, I'm running the NSX-R case brace upper and lower as well as the NSX-R swaybar. Actually its a good idea taking it off and out of the equation. I don't think this is the issue because have been running this setup a long time without any issues. (But worth a shot)

My new steering rack knock washer came in today. Plan on installing it Monday and seeing if that fixes my issue as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm running the NSX-R case brace upper and lower as well as the NSX-R swaybar. Actually its a good idea taking it off and out of the equation. I don't think this is the issue because have been running this setup a long time without any issues. (But worth a shot)

My new steering rack knock washer came in today. Plan on installing it Monday and seeing if that fixes my issue as well. Thanks for the suggestions.
Cool! Let us know what you find out.

Sorry for the late Update. But the knock bushing I ordered form Scrapdog2grand fixed my issue 100%. I was able to install the bushing without messing with the alinement. Very simple fix real easy to install.

Hopefully you don't experience the same as a few of us. The knock bushing fixes the noise temporarily. It came back progressively after about 2k miles. YMMV

I will just send it out for a rebuild if thats the case. Just happy I figured out what it was.

If you have a manual steering rack, check the right side of the rack shaft for movement in the rack housing. there is a teflon bushing that wears out, I had some rack knock bushings made if you need one. it goes in the housing on the outer side of the teflon bushing and prevents the movement and noise. You have to take the bellows and inner tie rod off to install it.
Hey Scrapdog2grand, do you still have any of those bushings I'm interested in purchasing one from you. Also, do you have any pics of the install? Is it like the brass bushing in the above video? PM'ed you. Thank you, -DREW-

Back