• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michael Jackson

Angry, angry people on this forum......................:D

Younger generations who are used to text sending on mobile phones and quick e-mail responses are gradually changing the form of language. Language in general, evolves. There have been many noted articles on whether or not the art (or skill) of writing is slowly disappearing due to advances in technology. My point is this; in an increasingly short attention span online community, grammar will change/become worse. It's inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

Share the love people! Share the love!

I apologise for any and all spelling mistakes the above opinion may contain and also for the aggravation the above opinion may cause. ;)

ajnsx said:
Younger generations who are used to text sending on mobile phones and quick e-mail responses are gradually changing the form of language.
Absolute hogwash. Do the text books that teach our children reflect as much? No. Is one's success in their profession reliant on good abilities to communicate? Sure it is. The exchange of ideas is governed by the ability to communicate effectively, not the receiving party's ability to read minds.

I understand your point, really I do. And, I'm not angry at all. ;) However, I'm pretty sure that most everyone on this forum feels, and has even made statements that this forum is better than others, etc. The bulk of the reason comes from the knowledge that is shared, and if it were to deteriorate to unstructured garbage its value deteriorates along with it. Imagine the FAQ's being written in gibberish that kids use when instant messaging with friends. It would be meaningless. At the same time, a thread that has value to the community is deteriorated in value when the the point one is trying to communicate to others can't be understood or is hard to follow.

Let me say it again: I have little problem with spelling errors of lack of proper structure due to one not knowing. I just don't like to see crap written when one is perfectly capable of doing a bit better. Am I asking for anyone to do so? No, just stating my opinion.

I do not know how to start a poll thread. Could someone start a poll thread for the gloved one

Guilty
Not guilty
Will never make it to court

Absolute hogwash. Do the text books that teach our children reflect as much? No. Is one's success in their profession reliant on good abilities to communicate? Sure it is. The exchange of ideas is governed by the ability to communicate effectively, not the receiving party's ability to read minds.

its not absolute hogwash, popular communciation verbal or otherwise eventually changes, mutates/amalgamates language, everything changes over time. That was my point. We did a study at uni on it. Look at all the kids that speak in hip hop lingo on line, brought in from 'da streets' ;) now in Japan popular magazines (in a certain scene) reflect that cultural linguistic form (no matter how damn annoying it is) Technology changes/ gives the abililty for languange to transform/move into other mediums.

FAQ's being written in gibberish that kids use when instant messaging with friends. It would be meaningless. At the same time, a thread that has value to the community is deteriorated in value when the the point one is trying to communicate to others can't be understood or is hard to follow.

when the kids have their own community the language is one of the first things that define it. The point is that they have their own specific discourse, SO that others cant understand them. There's many kinds of communities with their own specific discourse, social, academic or sub groupings that alienate others. So yes, pointless to the general community but not to their own intimate group.

Let me say it again: I have little problem with spelling errors of lack of proper structure due to one not knowing. I just don't like to see crap written when one is perfectly capable of doing a bit better. Am I asking for anyone to do so? No, just stating my opinion.

I agree with you there, i was just offering some food for thought as to why its becoming worse, not an attack on anyone's opinion, thats all. :)

This is all screwed up. The price you pay for being a celebrity here in the U.S. -- everybody wants something, especially money from you. Yes, he might have got close to the kid, but he himself is a father, so I don't have a problem with that. Let the law speaks and find him innocent.

ajnsx said:
We did a study at uni on it. Look at all the kids that speak in hip hop lingo on line, brought in from 'da streets' ;)
Yea, I study it also; Each time someone walks into my office interviewing for a job who thinks that effective communication to the general public can be accomplished with their new-world garbage. The study involves me observing them leave my office in amazement with them wondering why they didn't get a job. :p

when the kids have their own community the language is one of the first things that define it. The point is that they have their own specific discourse, SO that others cant understand them. There's many kinds of communities with their own specific discourse, social, academic or sub groupings that alienate others. So yes, pointless to the general community but not to their own intimate group.
Amazing! You get my point, but want to keep arguing about it. This forum is not their intimate group. It's an exchange of knowledge and ideas for a general population of enthusiasts and visitors, and if the knowledge shared were not to be coherent it would be meaningless.

I agree with you there, i was just offering some food for thought as to why its becoming worse, not an attack on anyone's opinion, thats all. :)
Okay, your food has been tasted, but based on my original point I rejected and spit it out. :p :D

There was a news report this morning stating the mother of the boy has signed a letter saying nothing happened between MJ and the boy.

NSX/MR2 said:
This is all screwed up. The price you pay for being a celebrity here in the U.S. -- everybody wants something, especially money from you. Yes, he might have got close to the kid, but he himself is a father, so I don't have a problem with that. Let the law speaks and find him innocent.

MJ kinda did this to himself by "loving" these kids a little too much. Even if he "just" sleeps with these kids and nothing else, he needs to realize that it's not appropriate esp if the kid ain't yours. He's leaving an open door for people to scrutinize by hangin with these kids. If he loves the damn kids so much, then open a orphanage or charity to help them...I don't think sleeping with a sicko freakish looking 40 year old male helps any kids. So in the end, even if he did not molest these kids, I have no sympathy for him. He's screwed up and needs some serious help. Maybe this case will make him realize that...but then probably not.

BTW, just because he's a father, that doesn't mean he's not a molester. Plenty of fathers molest their own kids....

This whole case makes no sense in any respect. Is the fact that it was Michael Jackson and not Michael Jordan make any difference?

Would you let your kids, male or female, have a sleepover with your 40 year old next-door neighbor? No. Even if he is innocent, he has been warned before and has paid his way out of trouble once. I have no sympathy for him or anyone that puts themself in a situation where they will be presumed guilty regardless of good intention.

Re: And Your Point Is ?

AndyVecsey said:
.....or letting your wife drive your nsx.....

Mine drives my NSX and I bet you a clutch she can beat you on the track - in comparably equipped vehicles, of course.
I know someone's wife named Maria who can beat the crap out of almost everyone here on the track. Yes, I think his wife can beat your wife on the track too.
Steve:D

Back