• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Might be moving to DC.

We might be moving to DC area. Just trying to get some prelim info like:

Which State MD or VA is the best for motorist? Which has the more favorible tax structure? Best quality of life? Any other positives or negatives would be welcome.

I just moved here from ATL, GA.

I ended up in alexandria, near kingstowne.

VA SUCKS the cops here are @$$ holes... I hear MD is better, i was rushed into moving up hear earlier than expect due to work. but i enjoy it, and we like where we are at. The traffic in and around DC is terrible... try to plot out your drive for work when picking housing... I did, and it helps, my commute is 15 min in the AM and about 20 in the PM. and im not stuck in downtown either...

good luck!

Here's my $.02:

MD: Better road infrastructure, slightly more lenient cops, less offensive speed zones, does not require annual vehicle safety inspections, unbelievably expensive homes (depending on where you choose to live, could pay $400 - 600+ for a modest townhome, there are the seven figure townhomes as well), state taxes are ever so slightly higher, but not so as to make a significant difference (IMO), no personal property tax on vehicles, biotech heavy.

VA: major traffic on many of it's primary arteries (primary reason we moved from VA to MD), housing is quite expensive here too, personal property tax on vehicles (though this is being phased out - where are the lost dollars going to come from?), incredibly aggressive local cops, especially in Loudon County, lots of artificially low speed limits, car insurance is slightly less expensive (again, modest difference), lots of high tech companies (especially in Tysons and Reston areas of Fairfax County).

Overall, I really like both areas. We live in Montgomery County, MD and they have built a good deal of really nice shopping areas right by us, so that's wonderful. It's relatively easy to get around (I-270 often sux, but I-66 in VA almost always sux). I loved living in Reston with the high-rise office buildings, etc, it has a very modern feel. However, living in Reston got to be a drag because it was just so hard to get around. Where we live in MD is quite suburban - no shopping centers within 2 miles, but it's so peaceful. However, we can drive 20-25 minutes and be in Bethesda, DC, Tysons Corner, etc. We have probably 30-40 restaurants within a five mile radius of our house too. Schools are comparable (if that matters). Housing prices in MD (according to Washingtonian Magazine) are rising faster in MD than in VA.

For a single person who is not terribly concerned about driving, I'd probably go to Arlington, VA, which is very trendy right for singles. However, Arlington is just outside the District and so driving around there can be nightmarish. Parking is tough there too.

From a tax standpoint Virginia is better. Traffic is miserable everywhere.

From a housing standpoint, homes and condos are obscenely expensive in both Fairfax County, Va and Montgomery County, MD. Loudon Co, Va is gettig up there these days as well. For example, I live in the Tyson's Corner area which is in Farifax County, Va in the McLean/Vienna area..... a 4 bedroom 2 car garage on a .25 acre lot will run you from 900K-1.1M in this particular area. There are many areas in Montgomery Co like Bethesda that will have similar cost structures for housing.

What is your current life situation? I see you say 'we might be moving'... does that mean a family or just a wife or something else like pets?

Fight it man... this place (virginia) expensive and the cops are just flat out-of-control. Everything here is all about revenue.. from the over inflated housing prices to the constant speed traps to the virtual game of twister necessary to make your car legal......

I grew up in Florida and man do I miss the simple days ....

...But the Jobs are good and work is plentiful...weigh your options carefully..

yea, the south was great... never realized how much i miss "good ol' boy" cops....

at least ya could have some fun with them.... :)

And in GA they werent near as strick about inspections... I still have GA Plates... Im holding on to them as long as i can to keep from having to get inspected here, they'd flunk my car the moment i pop the hood ;-)

Rich,

I live in DC and LOVE it. I am on the outskirts, though and live only 2 blocks from Silver Spring Md. I have all the benefits of living in the city and the suburbs. Housing is kind of expensive and rising in all areas. That may not be such a bad thing though. If you can find a house at a good price, it could turn out to be a great investment. Personally, I think the roads are pretty bad all over. There is major development going on all over, however and may roads are being repaved. If it were me, I would look at finding a nice neighborhood close to where you will be working. That way regular commuting will not be a problem. My wife is a real-estate agent. You can shoot me a PM if you would like to know what the market is like in a specific area.

Good luck,

Nate in DC

Thanks Guys the info is really helpful. I lived in DC in 1981 so it has been a while. I will have a better idea of what is shaking at the end of this week.

Current situation: Me, a girl friend and a large Labador. Currently I am in a 3 car garaged, 4000 sq. foot colonial on 5 acres in a beautiful area.

It will be difficult to give it up. I guess the discussion down there will all come down to dollars and cents.

I'll take you guys up on the offers of help and real estate advice if we take an offer and make a move.

Thanks again, Rich

RichH said:
Thanks Guys the info is really helpful. I lived in DC in 1981 so it has been a while. I will have a better idea of what is shaking at the end of this week.

Current situation: Me, a girl friend and a large Labador. Currently I am in a 3 car garaged, 4000 sq. foot colonial on 5 acres in a beautiful area.

It will be difficult to give it up. I guess the discussion down there will all come down to dollars and cents.

I'll take you guys up on the offers of help and real estate advice if we take an offer and make a move.

Thanks again, Rich

CAn I buy your house if you move. :wink:
I will post on Maryland tomorrow, this area is a lot different then it was in '81

Washington, DC is a great place to live. I agree with Nate my around the corner neighbor. I only have a 20 minute commute. Even with traffic as with any city you know alternate routes to get to the office. The Silver Spring area is a nice area and has a lot to offer being a stone's throw away for Nate and I. The roads are being repaired around the city and are far better than what they used to be. DC wasn't designed to handle the amount of traffic it does handle. It is the Capitol of Democracy and the beacon that draws drivers of all sorts. By the way there is Rock Creek Park with is a blast to use getting downtown when you want to take the long way top work or home, right Nate?

NSX-TSION7

Back