• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mishap in the nsx...:(

someone cut me off as i was entering the freeway 1 light away from my house going the same speed as always, i tried to avoid rear ending the guy and spun it out into the dirt. there was no curbing during the transition from tarmac to dirt and so i didn't hit any solid objects at all. of course the guy sped off.

this is my first accident ever and of all of my cars, it had to be the nsx! damages from outside looks to be a broken lower half of the front bumper, damaged top bumper, right side skirt broken off and a few tid-bits here and there, front-left fender tweaked in about an inch and a half due, same for the rear right quarter panel but luckily there was no creasing on the metal and so it should be pulled out easily.

anyhow, i brought it to angkor collision, the owner's name is woody and he seems like a nice guy. there were many were other expensive cars in there that were in the shop to be worked on...bmw, mbz s600, also there was a classic 1950's benz in the restoration process. the paint job on those cars were immaculate so i might stay with the same shop for paint and so i feel a little better about things.

upon initial inspection by the shop they said that there's a possibility that the insurance company will total the car because it's a 91' and they feel that high repair bills does not justify the "relative" low cost of the car. anyhow, i now need to mentally prepare myself for what's next. i'm going to try my best to keep the car because i don't think the damages were all that bad and i love that car to death! truthfully, i plan to keep the car forever so a salvage title won't hurt me much.

i have a few question for you guys...

1. if they decide to total the car, how much would they sell it back to me, how do i go about finding this information?

2. i heard ridiculous rumor that once salvaged i can no longer purchase full coverage insurance for it. that can't be true right?

3. if there was any sort of complication about wanting oem parts for my car instead of reburbished/aftermarket parts. how should i go about resolving the problem. who should i introduce my lawyer to... if the situation gets to that point, ins. agent or the adjuster.

that's all of the questions i can think of for now. if anyone else can chime in with any sort of relevant knowledge, please don't hold back, i need to know everything. like i said, this is my first car accident and i'm a bit lost.

on a lighter note, since i was feeling down about the nsx, i needed something to cheer me up and help out with the high prices at the pump...

i bought an 81' diesel vw rabbit for the price of a month's worth of gas!!! still running and everything works. it's slow as hell but it's a funky little ride cruising around town. i get a lot of dirty looks in it for some reason then i realized i may have one of the crapiest looking car around my area, haha.

for those who have met me, i have pretty long hair and i've had people tell me that when cruising in the nsx or the m3, i look like a drug dealer so i'm guessing because of the my lengthy hair and cuising in a beat up vw rabbit, i now have upgraded myself to the level of a dirty hippy, haha. sorry for the lengthy type up but i just need to get this off my chest.

1. if they decide to total the car, how much would they sell it back to me, how do i go about finding this information?

Your insurance company should have this information IF they decided to total the car.

2. i heard ridiculous rumor that once salvaged i can no longer purchase full coverage insurance for it. that can't be true right?

That is true... The value of the car would be in half. I believed liability insurance is available.

3. if there was any sort of complication about wanting oem parts for my car instead of reburbished/aftermarket parts. how should i go about resolving the problem. who should i introduce my lawyer to... if the situation gets to that point, ins. agent or the adjuster.

Well you can work that out with the body shop owner. Normally they work with aftermarket parts if the OEM isn't available.You might want to help out by searching for OEM parts since the body shop is limited on sources. Might as well do the 02 conversion :biggrin:

BTW... My buddy saw your car on the flatbed cruising down the road :frown:

Doesn't sound like a write-off. I mean, even the weakest NSXs have to be worth in the 20s?? It sounds like maybe $5-10K (tops) to me.

I'm confused, why would the insurance company give you erroneous information? You said you didn't hit anything yet you need some new fenders. The front bumper is relatively cheap and you can find used OEM body panels and aftermarket sideskirts here on prime. I wouldn't let the insurance company write off the car. A little elbow grease and it should be as good as new.

damage doesn't sound bad. I doubt they'd total it. Call them up and ask them if it'd come out to a total loss, would they cut you a check at the max w/o totalling it because you'd be able to source parts cheaper on your own. Which you actually could do.

I remember on my F4i sportbike, 70% of the value of the vehicle was the max repair cost before they'd total it.

Peter, sorry to hear that bro :frown:

I don't think the damage that you described would cost more than $15k. If that is the case, the insurance company will not total the car since they have to compare the Repairing Cost vs the Market Value (not trade-in or wholesale value) for you to replace the same car with similar condition and mileage.

I'm not sure what company you insured with but I do have some advice for you if you buy me a drink:biggrin: PM me and we can talk about it.

Hey Peter, Sorry to hear about your mishap.

As Koolaid noted, 70% of the value is the usual cutoff for the insurance company to total the car. Based on your description, I'd agree with the others... It sounds mostly cosmetic, and seems like a stretch for them to total it.

-Brian

Sorry to hear about the accident. Take lots of pictures from every angle. In case you ever sell the car, you can show the potential buyer why the car has a salvage title vs. major frame damaged and repaied. Good luck withthe recovery.

i have a few question for you guys...

10-30% of the salvage amount. But offer them 15-20%. They will take it.

Not true. You can get it fixed and get full coverage on it.

You can tell them to pay you out. Meaning they give you the check and than you pay the shop and pay for the parts so you make sure that the parts are to your satisfaction. You can even save alot of cash for yourself if you find some of those parts here on prime and pay lot less than dealer prices. The insurance company will try to low ball you never take thier first offer.
Also if they salvage your car the salvage price will be based on other cars in your area with the same year and miles. Peter Give me a call when you have some questions, you have my number. I have been through this process before and did real well. I got 7k more than what they first offered me but it wasnt easy you have to do some leg work. But it was worth it.

that's all of the questions i can think of for now. if anyone else can chime in with any sort of relevant knowledge, please don't hold back, i need to know everything. like i said, this is my first car accident and i'm a bit lost.

Last edited:
They salvage your car because they base it on 65-70% of the value of your vechile damage and also the availability of parts. Since parts could take months sometimes to get from the dealer (but you can find them faster online yourself but they don't consider that). One good thing is you can buy the car back for 15% of its value and get it fixed plus still have like $7-10k left over and now you don't have a car payment ( you own the car) and your insurance is lot less on it also, plus now if you want you can get Liablity only.

When a similar situation happened with my Honda Accord I had the insurance agent cut me a check for as much as they could without totalling the car and settled for that. It allowed me to keep a clean title, and fix the car on my own.

**a little update on my situation**

the insurance company i'm going with is farmer's...any experience?

eventhough it was sliding in the dirt, all of the wheels has a very minor flat spot.

because the bumper beam was bent in a little bit, it cracked one of the radiator looking thing for the ac on the right side.

the battery fell over, and the acid spilt all over the bottom plate.

under chassis, i saw many bouquets of weeds stuck everywhere.

i'm considering doing the 02' update for it's cheaper to do aftermarket-wise than it is to doing the oem 91'. aesthetically, i do prefer the 02' updated look.

i've already taken extensive pictures of the car pre-teardown. tomorrow or possibly the day after i'll come to the shop again and see what the front end looks like post-teardown. thanks for all of the information and suggestions, i'll update this post in a few days.

Farmers was 70%+ to total when I did a claim on my sportbike.

Damage doesn't sound bad. You should be fine. Do the up grade. Let me know what you're gonna do with your old parts. I could really use a hood, front bumper and other parts if you're gonna have them laying around after.

:update:

the body shop called me in today to look at the nsx post teardown. the front end did not take in any structural damage except for the the bracket that holds the ac condensor/fender on the left hand side, it seems like the condensor will need to be replaced also. all of the panels has a lot of hair scratches but nothing that can't be buffed out. that's the good news. the bad news is that the rear-right upper and lower a-arms are tweaked so they'll have to be replaced. also, the shop owner told me that farmers' insurance are a pita to deal with so most likely all of my wheels with flat spots and rashed up will not get replace, they will repair them, that's bs! anyhow, at this moment, it seems like my baby is going to be at the shop for a while.

also, if anyone knows of any places around the bayarea that i can get parts relatively cheap, let me know. i need al sorts of random parts but my main concern at the moment is finding an 02' front end/lights, side skirts and of course the rr a-arms. anyone parting out their nsx?? let me know through pm. thanks.

pics will come soon, not much to look at though...

some insurance companies have stopped allowing the insured to purchase the cars back after they have been totaled.

thank you for your kind words steve.

update! car is back in my garage, damages aren't that bad...possibly a tweaked rear lower/upper a-arms. one of the wheel has a slight wobble and so i just bought another set of 01' wheels off of Anthony in foster city. 02' conversion is in progress, i'm hoping to have the car back on the road before the summer's over.

Very nice to met you Peter, hope your NSX can get back to the road soon. I do have a used driver's side lower control arm setting on my garage if you need it.

Back