• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo/ Subaru WRX STI community online?

Hi

does anyone know the largest Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru WRX STI communities online?

I'm interested in learning more about these cars. Not considering buying, but I might be interested in this later (maybe in 2008).

Thanks.

nsx13 said:
Check out www.iwsti.com and www.evolutionm.net.

I've been an STi owner for about 2 months and absolutely love my car - I bought it from the original owner in CA and had it shipped to NJ since I was looking for a well-modified vehicle.

How is the reliability with your modifications? How much power are the STi making? Thanks.

Wonder which is the cheapest of Evo and STi to own, maintance wise.

TitaniumVtec: Thanks, will check it out.

|Adeel said:
How is the reliability with your modifications? How much power are the STi making? Thanks.

Wonder which is the cheapest of Evo and STi to own, maintance wise.

It's very reliable - I plan on tracking this car in 2007. The original owner had it built for reliability and ran it at 4 tracks in California, about 10 events, with no issues, and the builder (www.harmanmotive.com) is pretty renowned among these AWD turbo sedans. My car was featured 3 times in 2 different magazines, and has been dyno-tested 390 aw HP / 390 aw torque. Evos are cheaper to modify because they come stock with a bigger turbo, but quality I give to the STi. STi's seem to be more reliable, and they are recommended by a major consumer magazine here but the EVO is not. Also, the EVO is not available in Canada because it failed crash tests there. They're both good cars - I like the stock EVO seats better than the STi's, but that's the only thing I like better about the EVO.

Thank you for explaining me. That is good reliable hp numbers!

I really don't know which is better, guess I have to testdrive both to see what suits my driving needs best :confused:

I like this Subaru look better than the others:

4_1324934146.jpg

The only thing that comes in my mind is that these STi's are extremely hard to find in black. I have a hardcore black cars only policy :biggrin: And those Evo's are fugly too. The interior just isn't right, the STi seems like a better place to be in.

I have owned 4 Subaru GT Turbo's over the period 1996-2001 and a Mitsubishi Evo 6 from 2001-2006.
Comparing these cars, if you want the purest handling, the Evo is the way to go, however with all the electronic handling toys and smaller turbo's introduced from the Evo 7-on they are a little slower and less driver fun to drive than the Evo6 that I had.
I think the 2003-on Subaru's have improved, so difference should be very small now, test drive both!
One basic flaw on both cars are the brakes: these just won't hold up to track use and you WILL need to upgrade the brakes if using the car to it's full potential on track.

The STi communities are so overrun, it is hard to get anything of value. For instance, on any given day NSXPrime has 2-3 pages of new posts. IWSTI has 15-20. There's just not enough time to find the good stuff (there is good stuff to find too).

I would disagree on the brakes for the STi. 4-piston Brembo with near 12" rotors are stock. Drop in a track pad and they are formidable. I guess if you have 400 HP they might become a weak link. If anything, the weaknesses come from compliant stock bushings etc.

A conservative stage 2 tune and turbo-back exhaust yields almost 310hp and as much as 370ft-lbs. This is a reliable set-up from what I've seen, and may improve gas mileage too.

rsevo6 said:
I have owned 4 Subaru GT Turbo's over the period 1996-2001 and a Mitsubishi Evo 6 from 2001-2006.
Comparing these cars, if you want the purest handling, the Evo is the way to go, however with all the electronic handling toys and smaller turbo's introduced from the Evo 7-on they are a little slower and less driver fun to drive than the Evo6 that I had.
I think the 2003-on Subaru's have improved, so difference should be very small now, test drive both!
One basic flaw on both cars are the brakes: these just won't hold up to track use and you WILL need to upgrade the brakes if using the car to it's full potential on track.

Thank you for a great reply!

I want handling, yes, but the car would be limited to winterdriving only, as the NSX I had was limited to summerdriving only. I don't mind about the breaks that much, but after reading tons of articles on the STi on magazines and on the internet noone mentioned weak breaks :confused: Maybe your GT wasn't on STi performance level? To be honest, I'm not that hardcore maximum performance for the money guy, so I want the STi/ Evo depending on how the car feels every day too. If the suspension is too harsh, how the gears are set up for daily driving, how heavy the clutch is for city/rushour etc. :)

nsx2tall said:
The STi communities are so overrun, it is hard to get anything of value. For instance, on any given day NSXPrime has 2-3 pages of new posts. IWSTI has 15-20. There's just not enough time to find the good stuff (there is good stuff to find too).

I would disagree on the brakes for the STi. 4-piston Brembo with near 12" rotors are stock. Drop in a track pad and they are formidable. I guess if you have 400 HP they might become a weak link. If anything, the weaknesses come from compliant stock bushings etc.

A conservative stage 2 tune and turbo-back exhaust yields almost 310hp and as much as 370ft-lbs. This is a reliable set-up from what I've seen, and may improve gas mileage too.

I can live with that amount of torque, yes please :eek:

I see you have a NA1 NSX, how does the handling compare? Is the STi less entertaining to drive or does it have its own special charm?

|Adeel said:
I see you have a NA1 NSX, how does the handling compare? Is the STi less entertaining to drive or does it have its own special charm?

The STi is definitely NOT less entertaining. I've actually found the ride in the STi to be tighter-- but also harsher. The STi stock springs and struts bounce like mad on segmented concrete roads-- I'm in the process of upgrading to 2-way adjustable coilovers which should solve that.

PM if you want a more thorough comparison.:smile:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/

....Is a local company. Anybody that has modded an STI has probably heard of them. They have a good forum on their site as well.

Stick-e-rice said:
I can't wait when the new Evo X is out.

Yes me too. Wonder how it will look and what new they will introduce to the car. And how Subaru will reply to it! Competition is nothing but healthy :biggrin:

Adeel, perhaps in 2008, you should consider looking for a used 2007 Limited Edition STI if you can find one. They are sweet- perforated black leather seats instead of the cheesy 2 tone blue/ black alcantera, huge wing delete, trunk lip spoiler (M3 style), front lip spoiler, 400 made in metallic grey and 400 in metallic white, numbered. Check it out on their website, I'm considering selling my 996 for one of these, it will certainly hold its value better.

QWKSLVR said:
Adeel, perhaps in 2008, you should consider looking for a used 2007 Limited Edition STI if you can find one. They are sweet- perforated black leather seats instead of the cheesy 2 tone blue/ black alcantera, huge wing delete, trunk lip spoiler (M3 style), front lip spoiler, 400 made in metallic grey and 400 in metallic white, numbered. Check it out on their website, I'm considering selling my 996 for one of these, it will certainly hold its value better.

http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/sti/index.html

It looks sick :eek: Like a familycar on steroids. Oh wait, that's what it is :biggrin:

I have bookmarked this post. Thanks.

Back