• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Gearbox options for NA series cars

Hey all. Not here to take deposits, or sell anything yet, but am considering doing something for myself and wondered if there's others out there in the NSX community that might want to take advantage as well, or if I approach this differently and assume it's a total one off for us and no one else........

We recently had a failure in our OEM USDM 5 speed whilst running on the dyno with our new twin turbo 3.2L setup. Not sure yet what failed and if it's just fatigue, power related, heat related...... etc etc, but it got us thinking about gearbox solutions not just for now, but moving forward.

Given that there's less and less of the OEM boxes around and that for our particular needs (lap times) a sequential or at the very least a dog box gearset would be a benefit, we're investigating a sequential option that's significantly cheaper than the current Hollinger solution.

Don't get me wrong...... I have no doubt what so ever that the Hollinger box is awesome etc, but for approx $ 25K USD for the box, plus other parts needed, it's not remotely realistic for most.

I believe we can reasonably easily alter an existing sequential gearbox to suit the NSX, and then make a new bellhousing and some new axles to suit for 60% of the cost of a Hollinger.....maybe less.....

Does that interest anyone else ? or is it still silly money and not really something people would be interested in ?

As mentioned, if there's a reasonable amount of interest, I'm going to attack it from the perspective of being able to re-create what we have so others can do the same.......if there's no interest I'll just make it a total one off which is easier for us anyhow.

Pics for attention ��

Just looking at a whole load of options at the moment so we'll see what falls out of the bottom of all the research........ I really just wanted to gauge interest from others to understand if it's just me that's looking for something else, but it seems like there's plenty of interest for some kind of solution and no doubt whatever we end up with won't necessarily suit everyone for whatever reason (cost, function, meeting rules criteria etc) but at least it will be one more option hopefully for NSX owners.

The only other complication I can think of might be that now we're using J32A2 engine not the C30 so if things are physically tight I won't be able to easily check if it'll fit the C series as well.........but that's getting well ahead of myself.

Last edited:
A long time ago I said that when my 5 speed needed repairs I would replace it with a 6 speed (and I was supposed to start saving for that rainy day). If a modern sequential (or dual clutch) were to be available for $10k ish, I would seriously look at it when the time comes. Candidly I would love to, but my better half would most likely veto that kind of expenditure at the moment.

With current Honda’s running ZFs and other non Honda gearboxes, it seem inevitable that a semi custom bolt in may become a viable alternative.

Put me down as curious, but not currently funded.

I'm curious too, depending on layout. Most of us who want to go from a 5 to 6 speed are interested in something that would deliver the same functionality but be less expensive than the current $12k price to use the genuine Honda unit. User Bense was working out a solution using the TL/CL 6-speed for the J-series that came very close to the NSX 6-speed in terms of ratios, but as I understand it there is no clutch solution available so the project died. JMO, but if you sorted that issue out, you'd probably have a lot more interest versus a sequential racing transmission, for which the market is rather small. I could see the high-HP turbo guys maybe being interested, though.

Back