• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MODE4 v2 front bumper (2002+ style with pop-up lights)

Update: The forum software killed the image quality of those photos. Here are the originals: https://plus.google.com/photos/1100...s/5867512375833477809?authkey=CKjCk9751ciavQE

Some members have been bugging me for a while for some pictures of the MODE4 v2 bumper on my NSX. Life has been a little crazy lately (new house, newly engaged, etc.) but it's about time I followed-up.

Just for reference, this is what my NSX looked like previously. Pretty much the regular OEM 1991 bumper but I had the body shop remove the "cross bar" in the front.

IMG950775.jpg

And here it is now with the MODE4 v2 bumper, minus the front lip. I have an OEM lip and a carbon fiber Downforce Sports lip that I'll be installing the near future.

2013-01-31 17.18.01.jpg 2013-01-31 17.17.41.jpg 2013-01-31 17.17.51.jpg 2013-01-31 17.19.36.jpg 2013-01-31 17.19.43.jpg 2013-01-31 17.19.44.jpg 2013-01-31 17.19.51.jpg 2013-01-31 17.19.58.jpg 2013-01-31 17.20.03.jpg

Click on the pictures to enlarge. A couple of the photos are focused on the fitment quality.

I had all the body work and paint done by Bell's Autosport in Huntington Beach, CA. The owner and his son, Ryan, were very pleased with the build quality of the bumper and it required very little massaging to get the fitment tight. They had my color mixture still on file (previously repainted the entire car) so the paint was a perfect match. The tow hook was really the only problem with the installation, as they had to remove the tow hook, then fit the bumper, then re-install the tow hook. The bumper couldn't be mounted with the tow hook in place. Also, the openings for the signal lamps cannot accommodate the mounting screw from below, so the lights have be secured from above, through the opening for the headlights. Mine are held in by pressure alone, which is fine for how rarely I drive the car. All in all, very minor issues compared to par for the course of other fiberglass bumpers.

More pictures coming in the future with OEM lip, Downforce Sports lip, lowered on coilovers and the BBS LMs gathering dust in my garage. I'm going under the knife for knee surgery tomorrow, so any updates will be a few weeks away.

Last edited:
Car looks great Ryan and the bumper fitment looks near perfect!!

Is this the same Mode4 that MikeC is running as well?

Can't wait to see the updated pics of the car with the new mods!

I don't know why but the before looks better then the now for some reason. Maybe because it's missing the front lip. Anyways, fitment looks on point!

Thanks! This is the second version of the same bumper as MikeC. The lines are a bit smoother if I remember correctly.

I don't know why but the before looks better then the now for some reason. Maybe because it's missing the front lip. Anyways, fitment looks on point!

For sure, I've held the new lip in place and it looks a million times better. More pictures soon.

Where can I get one of these? Or are they discontinued?

This one is a closer copy of MikeC with v1 fitment issues addressed.

So it IS possible to have the pop-up lights with the JP Aero front lip... hmmmm

I'm thinking about having the body shop tint the front signals a bit so that the LEDs don't show through as much. Thoughts?

I'm thinking about having the body shop tint the front signals a bit so that the LEDs don't show through as much. Thoughts?
YES!! That's the only thing I'm not 100% up on... I was going to suggest either that or running the OEM ones.

YES!! That's the only thing I'm not 100% up on... I was going to suggest either that or running the OEM ones.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. The LEDs look amazing when lit up, so I'd hate to ditch them. The end goal is to run the Downforce Sports lip in carbon fiber, with the carbon fiber side skirt splitters, and the carbon fiber side scoops. With the tinted front signals, I think it'll tie together nicely.

2013-03-23 11.22.07.jpg2013-10-07 16.08.51.jpg

These are the only two I have at the moment. I'll have more once the suspension is finished and new wheels are mounted.

Looks great. How was the OEM 02+ lip fitment? Mine ended up fitting pretty well, but I did have to fiddle with the predrilled holes to get things to line up better. Nothing you don't expect with a fiberglass bumper though.

Ryan progress is looking amazing, digging those leds in the front bumper! :eek:

Thanks! I still would like to tint them some to make the LEDs less obvious in daylight. The board has a yellow-ish hue to it, so through the clear lens, it's not as clean looking as I'd like. Tinting them may fit in better with my goal... carbon lip, carbon side skirts, carbon scoops, carbon rear wing and gunmetal BBS LMs.

Looks great. How was the OEM 02+ lip fitment?

Mine fit well also. There is a small gap on the passenger side where the MODE4 bumper doesn't have the exact same curvature as an OEM bumper, but it's only off by maybe 1/16th of an inch. I haven't adjusted any holes at all.

Thanks! I still would like to tint them some to make the LEDs less obvious in daylight. The board has a yellow-ish hue to it, so through the clear lens, it's not as clean looking as I'd like. Tinting them may fit in better with my goal... carbon lip, carbon side skirts, carbon scoops, carbon rear wing and gunmetal BBS LMs.

Mine fit well also. There is a small gap on the passenger side where the MODE4 bumper doesn't have the exact same curvature as an OEM bumper, but it's only off by maybe 1/16th of an inch. I haven't adjusted any holes at all.

That's good. Basically I just enlarged some of the predrilled holes on the bumper to get them to line up a little better to the OEM lip. Considering the holes are drilled by hand, I'm sure every bumper released will be slightly different. I thought about asking them to not predrill the holes, but I thought about it and simply enlarging them took much less time than having to drill out all 13 holes myself. LOL

Those LED turn signals look great.

Nice. I'd consider buying one of these bumpers if they weren't so overpriced. Many of the Japanese bumpers can be had for much less..

What JDM bumpers can be had for less? Most other high-quality bumpers are at least $1200-1500.

Considering the MODE4 bumper is a small-run & unique design, I feel like the price is a steal.

Back