• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modern Warfare 2

Played for the first time tonight at a buddies house he just picked it up today for PS3- We got all the way through Alpha in Spec Ops, and most of the way through Bravo- damn this game is WAY better than COD4.

Will probably pick up my own copy as soon as I get paid!

Philip

I know it varies by the map, but what's your favorite setup for multiplayer?

This is mine (I'm at around level 40):
-Primary weapon: Steyr AUG HBAR with the heartbeat sensor
-Secondary weapon: Stinger

Perks:
-Sleight of Hand pro
-Stopping Power pro
-Ninja (don't have pro yet)
-Final Stand (death streak perk)

Killstreak Rewards:
-Care package (4)
-Predator missile (5)
-Attack Helicopter (7)

Is everyone playing this on a console, or are some of you playing on PC?
I'm curious if it's good for PC(if people are cheating, if there are good servers to play on, etc).

I'm curious if it's good for PC(if people are cheating, if there are good servers to play on, etc).

I play on the PC. There are no dedicated servers, so the Steam servers just choose random hosts based on ping I believe. Hence it's hard to say I'll be on so and so server like in Modern Warfare 1. So far though, no issues, if people are hacking I haven't seen any or they do a terrible job at it. :biggrin:

I'm playing it on the 360 but I haven't even tried multiplayer yet. Trying to finish the campaign first.

I play on the PC. There are no dedicated servers, so the Steam servers just choose random hosts based on ping I believe. Hence it's hard to say I'll be on so and so server like in Modern Warfare 1. So far though, no issues, if people are hacking I haven't seen any or they do a terrible job at it. :biggrin:

No need to hack when, as a host, your latency is so much better than everyone else's that you can shoot them before they even see you.

In the multiple hours I've play thus far, I've had multiple occasions where I've shot off several rounds at someone, yet when they killed me, in my own "death view" I never even fired one shot at them.

In another case, I rounded a corner once and clearly took several steps and yet was still nailed. So unless the guy who killed me was using several bullets, there was clearly a lag issue. And I have a blazing fast connection and I aways show as full green bars. Yet in a game of split second reaction time the lack of dedicated servers really changes the bias of the host.

Once when I was host, I ran around and had about 30+ knife kills and only died about 6 times. People thought I was cheating, but it was just so easy to run up on people and stab them before they could stab you back or eve get off a round.

PC is the only wat to play FPS games. PC is what I use. I am old so I don't have the knowledge how to cheat. I really know nothing about PC's. I hate consoles and only own one because of guitar hero.

PC is the only wat to play FPS games. PC is what I use. I am old so I don't have the knowledge how to cheat. I really know nothing about PC's. I hate consoles and only own one because of guitar hero.

I used to be like you, but now I prefer playing on the console on the huge TV with rocking Surround Sound vs my PC with a 24" monitor.

PLUS, the PC is always needing to be upgraded to play the latest and greatest at the highest Frame Rates with full AA etc etc etc.. never ends.

There are some games out there however, like Red Alert, that can only be played well with a mouse and KB IMO.

I used to be like you, but now I prefer playing on the console on the huge TV with rocking Surround Sound vs my PC with a 24" monitor.

lol. These are the two thoughts I've been debating in my head.
On the one hand, I really like using a mouse with a FPS. I've been playing counter strike for almost a decade on PC. But playing on a nice hdtv with surround sound is nice too. I just don't know if I can get used to aiming with a controller.

I'm torn over the pc or xbox version.

PC Cons
- No leaning anymore so that bonus is lost
- No dedicated servers is just plain stupid
- Lots of complaints about poor multiplayer experience (lag etc)
- 20" widescreen only

PC Pros
- I've played FPS for years and am used to the control
- My 4 yr old doesn't watch me kill people in a virtual world
- I play in another room by myself

XBOX 360 Pros
- 50" Pioneer Kuro
- Great sound system
- My kid would enjoy watching (despite what the wife says)
- A lot of my friends have bought the xbox version
- Voice comms

XBOX 360 Cons
- The controller. I've heard people say it's better than using pc controls but I find this hard to believe. I don't use my XBOX that much so that's part of the reason I don't have the controller skills

Maybe there's a better FPS controller for the XBOX? I haven't researched into it. Since I've only played MP in my FPS pc games the lack of dedicated server pretty much kills it for me. I don't know if they plan to change it in the future.

Guess I'll be getting the XBOX one. :confused:

Can someone help me out on a special op? Im on PS3 and need help! haha add me on PS3 as enkrypt3d thx! :biggrin:

Trying to get past the Special Op "Snatch and Grab" but I need 2 people to kill the Juggernauts ... dude these guys are tough!

Also I finished career mode but it says only 50.3% completed?? What? I went thru the whole game again and it still says the same thing..... on campaign mode...

Played for the first time tonight at a buddies house he just picked it up today for PS3- We got all the way through Alpha in Spec Ops, and most of the way through Bravo- damn this game is WAY better than COD4.

Will probably pick up my own copy as soon as I get paid!

Philip

Be sure to add me so we can play co-op special-ops mode!

Last edited:
Finished the campaign last night. Seemed to more "plot" and object lessons in the game than MW1. Actually, I don't know if MW1 had an moralistic lessons to glean except to shoot first and ask questions later and even that being optional. ;)

And maybe it's me but I found the musical score in the game remarkable!

Also just finished; spent too much time on Multiplayer, never spent time on the campaign. Wow, what a game. Better than 99% of the movies being produced today. The score was incredible. Go figure Hans Zimmer was behind it; he's the best out there.

Whats your guys best time in the first op through the course?? i stopped at 28 seconds flat, think i could do 27.

I just did 26.25. I think I can get into the 25's.

Whats your best time on the snowmobile flag course? My best time is 1:10 thru all the flags / gates on Veteran difficultly level... its tough! Who can beat my time? :biggrin:

Also just finished; spent too much time on Multiplayer, never spent time on the campaign. Wow, what a game. Better than 99% of the movies being produced today. The score was incredible. Go figure Hans Zimmer was behind it; he's the best out there.

I just did 26.25. I think I can get into the 25's.

Nice, i had 8 friends over after we went to Woodbine and bet the ponies, we were playing the course for hours hahaha. I ended up with the best time 26.05 i think i can do 25's too. Alot of fun

I'm hooked!

Finished the campaign on Thursday night, and have been playing online free-for-all this weekend. I love the new weapons, the throwing knives and the new scoring system in online play- revenge points, 1st blood points, kill streak "buzzkill" points. Love it.

Anyone else on the PS3 network can find me under PSN name: D_E_R_D_E_N

P

You could always just use a mouse and keyboard with your 360.

I don't think this is true. I have tried to use a m/kb with PS3 and Xbox and neither one works. It would give the m/kb player a MASSIVE advantage over console controller players. Put a sack over mike Tyson's head and I could beat the crap out of him. Set up a competition between me on a m/kb (sniper) against the world champion console controller and I bet he won't even get out of the re spawn area. Console controllers suck BIG TIME.

Will do! It's been awhile, but I'll get you added ASAP

P

haha thanks man! Its one of the Bravo or Charlie Special Ops - I'll log on to see if you're online. Thx! :)

I don't think this is true. I have tried to use a m/kb with PS3 and Xbox and neither one works. It would give the m/kb player a MASSIVE advantage over console controller players. Put a sack over mike Tyson's head and I could beat the crap out of him. Set up a competition between me on a m/kb (sniper) against the world champion console controller and I bet he won't even get out of the re spawn area. Console controllers suck BIG TIME.

http://gizmodo.com/223963/xcm-xfps-xbox-360-keyboardmouse-adapter-in-action

A few companies make adapters. Here's one.

I don't know if the kb/m setup is that much better than the joystick, although I think I would be better with it. Tha'd be kinda awkward sitting on my Love Sack with it in my lap though. I don't know if you could take on the world champion, unless you really are that good.

I'm not too sure about you taking on Iron Mike with a sack on his head either.

Why not just hook your computer up to your big ass TV? My TVs have VGa inputs and HDMI inputs so either will work. If you don't have VGA inputs on your TV or only DVI on your videocard...then get a DVI->HDMI adapter cable.

Optical out on the computer into the Marantz receiver...boom, glorious sound.

Works for me if I want to play on the TV, but I've found that a 24" screen is about as big as I want because I don't want to have to keep scanning side to side with my eyes on a very large screen.

I also prefer to play with headphones on to help isolate the direction of the sound.

While I prefer MW1 for the dedicated servers and the TR mods/customizations to the game, I do think MW2 looks good and is fun to play in a "run and gun" sort of way. I do still, however, log more time in COD4 than COD6 because I prefer hardcore and realism style of play.

I can't seem to get past the Juggernauts in the Snatch & Grab mission under Special Ops > Charlie... It seems like these Juggernauts will spawn behind you and flank the crap out of you... the only way to take them out is with flash bang or frag to stun them and then lay down suppressing fire with your M240. Any other guns don't seem to penetrate his full armor... ugh! haha

Run and gun on Team Deathmatch

M4A1
Red Dot Sight
Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim Pro

Dual 1886 Shotguns

Harrier Strike
AC Chopper
Nuke

OR

RPD
Red Dot Sight & Grip

Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

Dual 1886 Shotguns

The reason for the Stopping Power is because i like the fact of killing the infidel first because im usually the faster one to get him in my aim.

If anyone wants to try a little glitch out check this out...

Put on Marathon + Lightweight + Commando with a smaller sub machine gun like a UMP45. For your Perk put on Care Package. When you get the 4 kills click right on the pad and get the little grenade but DONT throw it... Instead try running with it and knifing. You are soo fast that its actually easy to knife 3 people close by each other. Give it a try!

Back