• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More problems for the GT

Oil leak is new glitch for Ford GT.

article here

"In addition to two recalls, Ford has issued nine technical service bulletins and one special service message on the GT. Problems range from the leaking crankshaft seal and blemishes on seat belt webbing to a rattle in the upper steering column and leaking power steering fluid." :eek:

Spend around $150K for a car and can't even drive it...

What a deal!

spartan2-3 said:
Big deal, you act like FORD is the only car manufacturer that has recalls? :rolleyes:

No. I'm acting like FORD is the only car manufacturer that builts a supercar whose owners pay 2x MSRP and are specifically told they cannot drive it, either because the suspension may fail, or because the engine may fail due to oil starvation.

As much as I love their trucks, FORD has proven once again it cannot get its act together even when it's about its halo car. As a true car enthusiast I do care about that !

apapada said:
No. I'm acting like FORD is the only car manufacturer that builts a supercar whose owners pay 2x MSRP and are specifically told they cannot drive it, either because the suspension may fail, or because the engine may fail due to oil starvation.

As much as I love their trucks, FORD has proven once again it cannot get its act together even when it's about its halo car. As a true car enthusiast I do care about that !

Agreed. I think the point is that a car of this level should be held to a higher standard, or at least be drivable by its owners.

Ford is not all trash

the European branch is doing great

I have a Ford Mondeo (it's something like a Mazda 6) for about a yeah and a half now and it's great.

In britain, the ford Focus is almost as reliable as a toyota Corrola, and it's cheaper to maintain than a toyota due to cheaper parts and more afailable spares. Ford is doing great in Europe , it seem that only Ford USA can't build a car properly. They just need to fix up their production and they'll do a great job

FORD=Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

apapada said:

Who cares what people pay for it, if they feel thats what its worth then be it. Its NOT your money NOR mine.

Heck I personally know an individual who paid 2X the monroney for an ACURA NSX and just like your claim, he never drove the car.

Your local dealer obviously gave you the run around by NOT allowing you or anyone drive their GT as they dont allow individuals to simply drive them (Just like most other Exotics).

Go and price out an original GT40 :wink: then you'll know the heritage and legend will be well worth the $$.

cheers

cmhs75 said:
Ford is not all trash

the European branch is doing great

I have a Ford Mondeo (it's something like a Mazda 6) for about a yeah and a half now and it's great.

In britain, the ford Focus is almost as reliable as a toyota Corrola, and it's cheaper to maintain than a toyota due to cheaper parts and more afailable spares. Ford is doing great in Europe , it seem that only Ford USA can't build a car properly. They just need to fix up their production and they'll do a great job

Unions

Wonder if it has to do with the fact that the GT isnt even being built by Ford but instead by Saleen. At least thats what the Saleen guys said when we were there. :confused:

wow. these are some interesting arguments you have there my friend... :eek:

spartan2-3 said:
Who cares what people pay for it, if they feel thats what its worth then be it. Its NOT your money NOR mine.

My argument was not about the price alone. It was about paying something twice what the manufacturer itself thinks its car is worth AND telling its clients not to drive it due to safety concerns for the car and/or the driver. Last time I checked, the sole real functionality of a car is to be driven...

spartan2-3 said:
Heck I personally know an individual who paid 2X the monroney for an ACURA NSX and just like your claim, he never drove the car.

In this case it was the owner's choice, not Acura telling him he cannot drive it. Got the difference ?

spartan2-3 said:
Your local dealer obviously gave you the run around by NOT allowing you or anyone drive their GT as they dont allow individuals to simply drive them (Just like most other Exotics).

Obviously... you are wrong once again. I never asked for a test drive, nor does my local dealership has one on its show floor as far as I know. I do not have time to go to dealerships and free ride vehicles I do not seriously intend to buy.

spartan2-3 said:
Go and price out an original GT40 :wink: then you'll know the heritage and legend will be well worth the $$.
cheers

I do not know much about the originals, but my understanding has been that they have proved more reliable already than the new ones. Just like with the latest Thunderbirds, Ford decided to renew a brand and just managed to stain the legacy and image of these iconic vehicles.

what don't you just admit Ford screwed up once again ? is it that hard for you to recognize you were wrong in you initial comments (see links above) ?

NSXLNT said:

Be careful what you wish for. Unions have done far more good for working people than the many would like to admit.

SCS2k said:
Be careful what you wish for. Unions have done far more good for working people than the many would like to admit.

Yeah..........back in the day, but that was a long time ago.

SCS2k said:

Well, I spoke with a friend a couple of days ago who works closely with Ford in Romeo, Michigan and he may contest your claim. He told me that if I wanted to know why Ford vehicles were more expensive, all I needed to do was visit the plant. After spending the past week at their facility he described the typical day of the guy he shadowed at the factory. He said that out of a 12 hour work day the guy would take a 1.5 - 2 hour lunch break early in the shift, take a few smaller breaks after that, take ANOTHER 1.5 - 2 hour break for dinner, and then take a 4 HOUR NAP after his dinner break. He said that in a given 12 hour work day this guy (and others there) did only about 5 hours of real work. The kicker was that since the guys are Union, and my friend is a contractor to Ford (not an actual Ford employee), that if they did not like the way he talked to them and they fired a grievance, he would be FIRED instantly. Evidently these guys egos are too fragile, so you cannot tell them, 'Okay...we need to try and do this this way,' since that would ruffle their feathers. Essentially he would have to almost pamper them to get them to do what he was there to do. Totally ridiculous. :mad:

(*Side note: These guys have a sign in the parking lot saying 'Imports will be towed or TOTALLED' and they are serious about it. They told my friend of several imports that after being parked in their parking lot were totally destroyed and one that had a small fire set in it. That to me is just moronic.)

apapada said:
wow. these are some interesting arguments you have there my friend... :eek:

My argument was not about the price alone. It was about paying something twice what the manufacturer itself thinks its car is worth

Then you really need to price out an original GT40 so you can have a better idea why enthusiast are willing to spend the extra $$ for a reborn legend :wink: .
AND telling its clients not to drive it
due to safety concerns for the car and/or the driver. Last time I checked, the sole real functionality of a car is to be driven...

These cars are made to be driven and driven hard but where are you getting your claims from :confused:
I take it in your kiddie book these cars are sitting at some shops or garages sitting collecting dust and their idiotic owners who PAID twice the monroney are loosing sleep at nite (LOL).

Have you actually consulted with GT owners and see what they have to say about the car?

In this case it was the owner's choice, not Acura telling him he cannot drive it. Got the difference ?

YOU are absolutely, positively WRONG!!! Acura would NOT allow him or ANYONE to drive the car PERIOD, Buy first drive later. He was even asked to leave the car at the ACURA dealer for several days for others to view after tha fact that he had already PAID for it. So whats the difference??? NADA!!

Obviously... you are wrong once again. I never asked for a test drive, nor does my local dealership has one on its show floor as far as I know. I do not have time to go to dealerships and free ride vehicles I do not seriously intend to buy.

Good for you :tongue:
Then where did you get the claims about not being able to drive to due to safety reasons etc :confused:

I do not know much about the originals, but my understanding has been that they have proved more reliable already than the new ones.

Now I see, glad we got that straight. May I suggest you read about its roots before bashing it :wink: . You are a typical rookie that bashes anything simply because of its manufacturer. Glad you admit " YOU DONT KNOW JACK" about what you are bashing other than the name plate FORD and its faulty seal. You simply follow the "fad" "Ford this", "Chevy that , GM this " yadda, yadda , yadda........ :rolleyes:

what don't you just admit Ford screwed up once again ? is it that hard for you to recognize you were wrong in you initial comments (see links above) ?
Whats there to admit?? Simply because of a faulty seal does NOT make the car a POS. Heck if you are so concerned about recalls or issues why are you driving a 92 NSX :confused:, If you are such a pefectionist you are obviously in the WRONG YEAR of car. FYI, there were snap rings, window regulators, AC, which YOUR car could very well fall in range, I'd be concerned about YOUR OWN car than cars of others :wink:

You dont think Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, MB's, BMW's, Jaguars etc.. ever had recalls/ issues and were perfect right out of the box ?? :rolleyes:
Are you simply paranoid because Ford is selling the GT twice the monroney and True Enthusiast are paying for it?

Bottom line the GT has been in production for nearly a year and many/ most manufacturer will have its flaws the first several years (including our beloved NSX which had its issues the first 2 odd years of production). I am sure you are aware of it. Wheter this car falls short on realiabilty issues or not it will always have the heritage and racing legend. Owning a piece of history is well worth the $$ for the elite enthusiast.

Why dont you buy the GT4 game and admire/drive the legendary beauty on the front cover :biggrin: . You may just like it :biggrin:

Im done with you kiddo :smile:

Last edited:
SCS2k said:

I agree it probably is better for the working people, but not for the consumer.

(*Side note: These guys have a sign in the parking lot saying 'Imports will be towed or TOTALLED' and they are serious about it. They told my friend of several imports that after being parked in their parking lot were totally destroyed and one that had a small fire set in it. That to me is just moronic.)

I know what you mean. My aunt was transferred from Denver to the Detroit area in the early 90's. At the time she was driving a 300ZX. It was her baby and swore she would never get rid of it. After moving there, she got so much crap from people in the area that she did finally sell it. She would get her car keyed and tires slashed on a daily basis simply because of the car she was driving!

I'm just kind of shocked that this car has had so many problems. To me, it's just unacceptable for a car of this level to have this many problems...this isn't a Taurus we are talking about, it's Ford's number one car...the top of the line...the best they have to offer. For it to have as many problems as it does really does not say much about the company as a whole, and I think it's just rediculous.

spartan2-3 said:
These cars are made to be driven and driven hard but where are you getting your claims from :confused:

Are you for real ? :eek: Which part in the article I linked you did not understand ? Did you even read the article ? Here is again the excerpt:
"Ford recalled the vehicle Dec. 16, ordering owners not to drive it after a crack was discovered in a test vehicle's control arm. A recall for a fuel tank vapor leak that affected about 45 cars was issued at the same time"

spartan2-3 said:
YOU are absolutely, positively WRONG!!! Acura would NOT allow him or ANYONE to drive the car PERIOD, Buy first drive later. He was even asked to leave the car at the ACURA dealer for several days for others to view after tha fact that he had already PAID for it. So whats the difference??? NADA!!

You are scaring me. :eek: If you don't see the difference between a MANUFACTURER asking owners not to drive their car for SAFETY reasons and a DEALERSHIP asking owners to let the car in for SHOW reasons, I can't help you.

spartan2-3 said:
Good for you :tongue:
Then where did you get the claims about not being able to drive to due to safety reasons etc :confused:

See above. At the time (mid Dec.'04), it was all over the automotive media. Sounds like news to you...

spartan2-3 said:
Im done with you kiddo :smile:

I'm afraid it's the other way around. Over and out.

For all that dough, you still get a POS. After all its still a FORD.

Back