• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More problems for the GT

AutoEuphoria said:
I'm just kind of shocked that this car has had so many problems. To me, it's just unacceptable for a car of this level to have this many problems...this isn't a Taurus we are talking about, it's Ford's number one car...the top of the line...the best they have to offer. For it to have as many problems as it does really does not say much about the company as a whole, and I think it's just rediculous.

Amen brother. You nailed my thoughts exactly.

This really is sad the way everyone is jumping on this. I for one think it is great that Ford is readily taking the interest of their buyers to make all these problems public and correct them. This car was created, developed, tested and built in record time for a major manufacturer, and they created a car that has been unanimously praised as a world beater.

At least Ford is fixing the problem, instead of having how many transmissions fail that required owner funds to correct. :confused:

Even with all the problems, I would like to have one. Just can't pay over sticker for it...

2004 NSX Black / Camel
———————————————————————————————————————————————–
Our other cars: 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SRT-10 Viper Yellow / 2005 SSR Silver / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 Z06 Machine Silver / 2004 H2 White / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

White92 said:
I agree it probably is better for the working people, but not for the consumer.

The working man IS the consumer. My wife was a teacher in Michigan where she made a decent living ($42K/year which includes benefits). When we moved here to AZ, a right to work state (no unions), starting salary was $24,000 for a teacher fresh out of college compared to $34K in Michigan. My wife, with 5 years experience and a master's degree made $34,500, or at least she was supposed to. She had a contract that stated that. On the first day of school the district literally sat all teachers down and said, "We made a mistake on your contracts", and lowered all of their salaries by $2000. A signed legal document made no difference. If a teacher quit it was too late to find a job in another area, the school year had already started. Can't go on strike to get the money you had a legal right to, you just had to take what they offered. You could sue them, but how much would that cost? More than they were taking away. Short answer, you're screwed. If a union had been in place, there would have been a walk out and the district would have had to pay what the legal and binding document said they had to pay. No union = bend over.

Two years later, different school. All teachers were required to sign their contracts by Feb 15th or their jobs would be listed as open and they would be replaced. The problem, the district refused to put a salary number on the contract until AFTER it was signed. Do you think a union would have allowed that? This is supposedly a government entity looking out for children. If they try, and do, get away with it, imagine what a profit driven corporation would try to get away with if they could.

Yeah, back in the day. Of course there is greed and corruption in unions, but not nearly so much as there is in corporate and government America. Many of you will be on the receiving end of it one day and likely will rethink many of your comments.

Cant we all just get along???

Soooo if ford has some trouble on the GT… they are fixing it anyway, and Ford is not letting the owners pay out of their own pocket, that's good thing.
It's probably also a learning experience for Ford and most likely got a few people on the GT R&D in trouble or fired regarding the issues, so let's not worry about that...

Besides we all drive NSX's right? :smile:

he he he...

I recently sold my '01 MDX and my Dad still has his, the Acura dealership where he bought his from called him and told him that his vehicle was unsafe to drive because the transmission might lock up at any time. They picked up the vehicle on a flat bed and replaced the transmission. It turns out that mine had the same problem and they were trying to get mine to pick up also even though I turned the vehicle back to Acura on a lease.

Do I fault Acura for having problems with transmissions? No, problems happen I can't say I have ever heard of another non-Honda transmission locking up with no warning. I am suprised that they can't track their vehicles better, to not know that I didn't have the vehicle anymore and that it was probably already sold from the dealer I turned it in at is more scary.

Ford probably could of had everyone of the GT owners bring in their cars and have the control arms replaced and not have a problem. I think it was smart to not take that chance and pick them all up at their expense and fix them correctly and then take them back out to the customer. I would imagine a lot of the people who have the first ones are collectors and don't want the extra miles on the cars taking them to and from the dealer anyway.

All mechanical devices have problems, you can tell a good company from a poor one by how they handle these problems.

BTW I also think Unions should go the same way as the dinosaur.

SCS2k said:
The working man IS the consumer. My wife was a teacher in Michigan where she made a decent living ($42K/year which includes benefits). When we moved here to AZ, a right to work state (no unions), starting salary was $24,000 for a teacher fresh out of college compared to $34K in Michigan. My wife, with 5 years experience and a master's degree made $34,500, or at least she was supposed to. She had a contract that stated that. On the first day of school the district literally sat all teachers down and said, "We made a mistake on your contracts", and lowered all of their salaries by $2000. A signed legal document made no difference. If a teacher quit it was too late to find a job in another area, the school year had already started. Can't go on strike to get the money you had a legal right to, you just had to take what they offered. You could sue them, but how much would that cost? More than they were taking away. Short answer, you're screwed. If a union had been in place, there would have been a walk out and the district would have had to pay what the legal and binding document said they had to pay. No union = bend over.

Two years later, different school. All teachers were required to sign their contracts by Feb 15th or their jobs would be listed as open and they would be replaced. The problem, the district refused to put a salary number on the contract until AFTER it was signed. Do you think a union would have allowed that? This is supposedly a government entity looking out for children. If they try, and do, get away with it, imagine what a profit driven corporation would try to get away with if they could.

Yeah, back in the day. Of course there is greed and corruption in unions, but not nearly so much as there is in corporate and government America. Many of you will be on the receiving end of it one day and likely will rethink many of your comments.

If I was a teacher and I had a signed agreement with the school system and after it was signed they lowered my pay I would make a call to a lawyer, talk to the other teachers and start a class action law suit. This would be a slam dunk for a lawyer and I know plenty that would take this case on a percentage basis. I think there must be another side to this story because if this ever happened as you explained a simple call to a news station would have this all over the 6 and 11 o'clock news.

Also any contract that isn't equitable to both parties isn't valid, basically if you signed a contract without a pay rate then what are they offering you for your services. If I create a contract that you will work for me forever and say that the pay rate will be figured out later and you sign it do you really think you are my personal slave for life?

Living in Michigan I have several friends that work for unions and myself and others have to deal with them on a regular basis. I can say that my experience with them has been humorous, I have never seen a more lazy group of people in the workforce. One of my friends has 19 years with GM and is able to go out to his car and sleep for hours at a time, he only has to work when another employee takes his break. Even then there are multiple back up people so sometimes he might not work a single minute in a 12 hour day, even though he is getting four hours of overtime pay. He works on the interiors of cars and they used to let him take some foam that they use for seats and sleep in the building, but they put a stop to that and make him sleep out in his car now.

Unions had a time where they were needed but that time is no more, if your wife is a great teacher she should be able to find work because she is in demand not because she belongs to a Union (gang) that threatens to leave as a group to support the weakest links. There are hundreds of schools within any area and also private schools that are always looking for good teachers. I do agree that teachers don't get paid what they deserve, but I feel one of the main reasons for that is a lot of the great teachers do it because they love it not for the money. Whenever you have a profession that draws people in for other reasons you don't have to pay them as much. The same goes for Police, Fire fighters, Military, etc... In my opionion they don't get what they deserve, but there are plenty of people still going into those professions.

Of course this all just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong on occasion, just not recently.

Carguy! said:
If I was a teacher and I had a signed agreement with the school system and after it was signed they lowered my pay I would make a call to a lawyer, talk to the other teachers and start a class action law suit. This would be a slam dunk for a lawyer and I know plenty that would take this case on a percentage basis. I think there must be another side to this story because if this ever happened as you explained a simple call to a news station would have this all over the 6 and 11 o'clock news.

Also any contract that isn't equitable to both parties isn't valid, basically if you signed a contract without a pay rate then what are they offering you for your services. If I create a contract that you will work for me forever and say that the pay rate will be figured out later and you sign it do you really think you are my personal slave for life?

Living in Michigan I have several friends that work for unions and myself and others have to deal with them on a regular basis. I can say that my experience with them has been humorous, I have never seen a more lazy group of people in the workforce. One of my friends has 19 years with GM and is able to go out to his car and sleep for hours at a time, he only has to work when another employee takes his break. Even then there are multiple back up people so sometimes he might not work a single minute in a 12 hour day, even though he is getting four hours of overtime pay. He works on the interiors of cars and they used to let him take some foam that they use for seats and sleep in the building, but they put a stop to that and make him sleep out in his car now.

Unions had a time where they were needed but that time is no more, if your wife is a great teacher she should be able to find work because she is in demand not because she belongs to a Union (gang) that threatens to leave as a group to support the weakest links. There are hundreds of schools within any area and also private schools that are always looking for good teachers. I do agree that teachers don't get paid what they deserve, but I feel one of the main reasons for that is a lot of the great teachers do it because they love it not for the money. Whenever you have a profession that draws people in for other reasons you don't have to pay them as much. The same goes for Police, Fire fighters, Military, etc... In my opionion they don't get what they deserve, but there are plenty of people still going into those professions.

Of course this all just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong on occasion, just not recently.

There is no other side to the story, just because it doesn't fit what you choose to believe does not mean it isn't true. As you are well aware, class action lawsuits take years to resolve, cost thousands upon thousands of dollars and usually benefit no one but the attorneys. It is quite difficult to organize class actions suits and with only approximately $2000 per person lost and only a few hundred teachers, we're not talking about an amount that would be worthwhile to many attorneys. I highly doubt that you know any attorneys at all who would be willing take on something like this, you are likely just trying to bolster your arguement. The local news was notified and guess what, no mention of it. My wife is able to find work, but as with most teachers they are barely scraping by, quitting and hoping to get a job when the school year has already started isn't feasible for most. As far as the pay rate is concerned, they would fill it in later. Either sign it with the pay amount left blank, or they give your job to someone else. Who's acting like a bully (gang) now? Since when do contracts have to be equitable? You won't be a slave for life but if you don't sign, you're out of a job. You do what they say or you're fired (or replaced) if you don't like it sue them. Legal documents are only enforceable if someone is willing to pay to enforce it. As I said, there is laziness and abuse on both sides, but who do you think needs the protection more, the multi-million or multi-billion dollar corporation? or the worker? Despite the horrible laziness people describe for union members these companies still manage to make millions and billions of dollars in profits.

Yes these corporations never take advantage of consumers or employees, cough cough Enron, MCI/Worldcom, Tyco, etc.

We could then have a world full of Wal-Marts. Thousands and thousands of people earning substandard wages with little or no benefits, all so people could buy cheap products produced in sweat shops in foreign countries. But wait, you don't need to go to foreign countries any longer, we have sweat shops right here, there is no longer unions to stand up for the individual worker's rights. We could abolish all of the pesky child labor laws as well, then imagine how cheaply you could buy things.

This had gone way too far off topic. I apologize to the mods and the thread starter for my ranting. I'll stop now.

Back