• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Most dated exterior part of the NSX

Grandpa asks: What do you think is the most "dating" exterior feature of the NSX

• 94-01 stock rims (sorry, 91-93 doughnuts not even an option...get with the times loser!)

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • 02+ stock rims (in your dreams, wiseguy)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • "Cutoff/Square" edged rear, from side view

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • '91-'93 Alien vacuum hoses or '94-01 stock exhaust

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • The rear view, any year, in general

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • The black colored tupee on my old & bald NSX coupe

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • The front view, any year, in general

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • The whole darn thang, 'cause I like them new-fangled bulky cars like yer ASCC

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • The top view, because I ate my Flintstones as a kid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The bottom view, because it's a little saggy

• Those sexy side vents (vote here at your own risk)

• The A or B pillars, whatever those are

• The integrated rear spoiler (so I updated to '07 by bolting a surfboard to the trunk)

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I'm tired of reading so I'll just vote for all the [donkeys/elephants]

Votes: 18 21.4%

• Total voters

Ski_Banker

Suspended
So, which exterior part of a stock NSX do you think makes it look the most dated? Right off the bat, I'm excluding pop up headlights and the 91-93 wheels because I don't want all you guys driving geriatric NSXs to say the same thing. :tongue:

I'll start:
I think the ONLY part of an 02+ (or any year actually) that really looks dated or out of place now is the flat/square edge when looking at the rear quarterpanel. The long, flowing lines from the side appear to be chopped off by a papercutter at the back of the car. 02+ tail lights don't really change that.

And the magic wand antenna, even though mine has been castrated thanks to the kind folks at Smartenna. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what part of the car you're refering to exactly. Mabye a pic and a line pointing at the spot?:redface:

I don't know if I can pick a spot that is dated. If the obvious 15/16 rim set up, and pop up lights (though I still love those) are omitted, then I'm not sure what to pick.

With my NSX the first few things to be changed (other than wheels and lowered profile) was the addition of side skirts and rear spats. I always thought the NSX looked a bit high, naked on the side skirt area, and the rear end looked like it got kicked hard and the but never settled back down.:biggrin:

haha
i voted: "I'm tired of reading so I'll just vote for all the [donkeys/elephants]" :biggrin:

seriously. when i got my car (2004) i thought the tail lights should have came with LED's just like everyone else, heck even the accord and S2k now have LED tail lights :frown:

Hmmm, that's a good question. Other than the ones already mentioned, I can think of two.

1. The wiper blade design look a little old. At least compared to the new Civic, it looks old.

2. The tail-lights, not the look of them, but how the reflectors are designed. I don't know if that makes any sense, but maybe if you compare the brake lights to say the Pilot, the Civic, Altima, etc... they have a LED-like look to them. Ours look like cars from the 80s... oh wait, it was designed in the 80s. :)

Edit: amgnsx mentioned the LED lights while I was typing up my response. :) The 2002 refresh should've definitely had LED lighting. Honda would've earned some good $ from the parts we would have retrofitted.

The stock exhaust tips of the na1s are dated, and the tape player. :smile:

The offsets of the OEM wheels. They are also too sunken in. Also the rear need to be wider for looks.

that air craft carrier deck for the rear bumper. modern cars have their rear bumpers integrated into the rest of the body for a smooth flowing design. there was no such concept in the 80's. the pre 02 tailights also looks very very outdated, but i think the 02+ tailights looks just fine. ( i know that they have the refractors on the lens itself rather than having a clear lens with the refractors on the inside of the light, but i prefer this style )

what are these alien vacuum lines that you speak of? i own a 94 and i don't notice any unusual looking vacuum lines.

leaky pen...

All-in-humour...

p1uo7.jpg

p2de0.jpg

p3yq5.jpg

(Preludes look dated, don't they? About 2 gen. too old of what a contemporary model would be in present time, right?)

More pics to compare/contrast... (please check it, you'll be in awe!)

http://www.hondarevolutions.com/html/brochure_3glude.htm

The NSX in all practicality needed a refresh '95-'96 (incorporate '02-'05 front/rear/interior/engine-trans. along w/ optional T) and a redesign '00-'01 (perhaps HSC, or else).

Being released in 1990 as a 1991 model, it's uniqueness was not even exclusive in it's own family... 3rd gen. prelude of the same time emulated many facets of the NSX.

Don't get me wrong, my NSX is still the most beautiful car in the world to me. However, it's progression down it's 15 year production line could've been addressed in a much more hands'on and assertive manner.

Last edited:
haha
i voted: "I'm tired of reading so I'll just vote for all the [donkeys/elephants]" :biggrin:

seriously. when i got my car (2004) i thought the tail lights should have came with LED's just like everyone else, heck even the accord and S2k now have LED tail lights :frown:

x's 2 I missed out on the led's for the s2k. They started bringing them out in '04.

Well, the design was penned in the 80's, so 20 years later, most of the design is dated (that includes the 02+ since the 02+ was pretty much a cosmetic update, not a design update). I'm not saying I don't like it, but current designs are far different than they were 20 years ago.

So, the most dated part? Flip up lights? No. Black roof? No. Uh, hoses? No.
The most dated part is the rear bumper. It's 2x longer than most contemporary designs and looks like it's from a late 80's Honda Civic (I had one of those back in the day too).

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to go with the brakes, especially if you upgrade your rims. 2nd choice would be the 40ft antenna, but I disabled that altogether.

That little "flippy" vanity miror on the right visor...

Flip up headlights are pretty old school....

Just like your wife or girlfriend would say... read the damn instructions. :biggrin:

(exterior only :wink: )

yeah, but vacuum hoses are on the original list too.... not quite an exterior part. (what are the newer ones like? - i have a 91)
that being said.....
- halogen headlights
- its straightline performance (ie lack of POWER... although, i must admit, it does well with what it has... and i've never driven an NA2)
- the black top (looks good on black though... :wink: )
- the antenna (WHY DOESN'T EVERY CAR COME WITH IT IN THE WINDOW??? esp sports cars)

but, overall, the nsx really is as timeless a car can be; still does well in terms of performance, still turns heads, still puts a dumbfounded look on the faces of people that find out what year model it is.....

This is a great poll because it's an original topic and because you've managed to EXCLUDE all the obvious 'old' components:

1) the 40ft antenna
2) 91-93 rims. 94+ are 'old' by personal preference
3) Plastic water coolant bottle!!!!
4) the registration sticker on the window (we have them in australia... shows the date of the car)

if you'd listed these, the poll would have been VERY interesting.

Back