• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Most expensive Japanese passenger vehicle in the US/world ?

I believe the NSX is the most expensive Japanese (either made in Japan, or sold by a Japanese marque) production passenger vehicle in the United States.

Kenji or anyone else, what is more expensive, here or elsewhere?

I think the question should be rephrased as " most expensive mass produced car." I know, I know. Some people will argue that the NSX is "limited," but it is truly considered a mass-produced vehicle. So NSX is the most expensive Japanese car in the US.
Steve

Are those other cars that are more expensive then the nsx sold thru there own dealerships here or are they imported by special companies then converted to us specs ??....Just an example but ... ive seen skyline's here for sale.....but they are not sold thru nissan.

kenjiMR said:
Limited production cars such as Nissan 390R street car are more expensive. I am sure there are others.

What do you mean by "limited production cars"? Are you (a) referring to a car that you can buy at a dealer (maybe a limited number of dealers, but a dealer nonetheless), that is produced in small numbers, but is a regular model as it comes from the factory that is marketed as such? For example, a Zanardi NSX.

Or, are you (b) referring to a car that is custom fabricated somehow, where each one may be unique, that you can't just walk into a dealer and buy - for example, a limousine, or a Mosler or a Diasio, etc?

A quick net search shows that the Toyota Century is a limousine sold in Japan. Is the price in Japan more, or less, expensive than the NSX? Can you just walk into a dealership and buy one, or is it like buying a limousine in the United States, where you're buying it from a fabricator?

new-century.jpg

What is a Nissan 390R? THAT didn't turn up in a quick web search...

nsxtasy said:
Is the price in Japan more, or less, expensive than the NSX? Can you just walk into a dealership and buy one, or is it like buying a limousine in the United States, where you're buying it from a fabricator?
Hm. I don't know. But: The Century was mentioned in this month's C&D. It listed "Price (Japan): $85,500" and also "Toyota will sell a pitiful 600 Centurys this year, yet this V-12 is home in no other car on the planet."

kenjiMR said:
Sorry R390. It was a homologation special for 1998 Le Mans GT1 car I believe.

Thanks - and THAT shows up on a web search, such as in this article. And at one million dollars each :eek: it certainly beats the NSX in price. And it apparently had a street-legal version (although one might quibble over whether it qualifies as a "production car").

Anybody got an update on Tommy Kaira's ZZ-II? I've searched around the net and it seems like chances are slim that it'll ever be a production car.

Tommy Kaira are cheap I think, (relative to NSXs), but I was considering getting the ZZ once. Cos I saw one for sale which was unregistered car but few years old. Just before buying the NSX, I was going to buy that, but I coldn't find the ad, so I just left it. Anyway, can't have been that great with no roof (?) and a Nissan Primera engine...

I think you can buy a century from a dealer. The price is really close to NSXs. With options, either cars can come on top.

... just wanted to say one more thing. Toyota has a V12...in that car. Honda don't even do V8 in production cars. (Although they have made V12 for F1 and stuff like that...)

I remember the R390. This was during the time when the GT LeMans race cars had to have street versions, like the MB CLK-R. Many of them sold for (or were priced at) a cool million. I seem to recall that when the 390 showed up for LeMans it was fast, but didn't meet the specs because it needed to have "luggage space" or space for a spare or some ridiculous, quirky FIA thing. They fabbed a compartment in the back, and during the race, the compartment blocked air flow to some coolers and the car DNF'd for that reason. Anyway, when AutoWeek did a test drive of the "street" version, I understood it to be a pure race car, barely capable for street use. This makes me appreciate the McClaren F1, which is a wonderful street car that actually had to be de-tuned to race in GT....

NSX2F1 said:
There are couple of Japanese supercars that were way more expensive than NSX, among them:

Nissan R390
, a street version of Nissan GT1 Le Mans racer
Yamaha OX99-11 , a $1M supercar with a 60Valve V12 straight from Yamaha's F1 program.
Toyota GT1
NISMO400R

Of all 4 cars you mentioned, there is exactly one driveable "street" R390, the rest are mock-up show cars; no street Toyota GT1 whatsoever, it only existed in Gran Turismo(a video game), the Yamaha was never made, they only had one mock-up show car. And the NISMO400R technically does not count as a production car because a)NISMO is not a manufacture, and b)it's a modified production car, if you consider production cars as cars that came off the production line, then it wouldn't count as one.

In the future, there might be two Japanese cars that will exceed the price of a new NSX. One is made by a joint Japanese/British company called Vemac, They produce a relatively inexpensive lightweight roadster, and also campaigned a race version(different chassis then a roadster) in GT300 of JGTC powered by a NSX motor, but recently switched to V8 and have shown a driveable street version. No one knows when and if the street car will be produced. The other car is the Tommy Kaira. Currently, they also produce a relatively inexpensive roadster, but have been talking about producing a GTR-powerd super car for years, who knows if it will become a reality? SO with the possible exception of the Century, I would say the NSX is the msot expensive Japanese car you can walk into a dealership and buy--anywhere in teh world.

And yes, there is only one car I would pay $1mil for, the McLaren F1.:D

Back