• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor Trend best 50 cars

I am not sure if that was posted before but here it is - cool article

Feature - Best, Fastest and Most Outrageous: The 50 Most Memorable Cars Ever - Motor Trend

Ah, nice! :biggrin:

MOTOR TREND said:
attachment.php

'90 Acura NSX

182-ci V-6/270 hp, 0-60 5.5, 1/4 mile 13.9/104.2

Don Fuller spent some time at the wheel of the NSX in Northern California for the Sept. '90 issue and said, "The NSX engineers opted for a back-to-basics approach. It doesn't have all-wheel drive, four-wheel steering, turbocharging, or movable aerodynamics. No other production car was ever this good. On the racetrack, the NSX acts more like a properly set up race car than most race cars do."

Attachments

• 112_9909_mem37_g.jpg
    112_9909_mem37_g.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 695
Why are there a bunch of low production, tuner type cars on the list (eg. Hennessey Viper, Corvette "Snake Skinner") and repeats (Vettes, Vipers, 911's)?

And the NSX is the only Japanese car? No 240Z, RX-7, or Supra? All 3 of these cars are more significant than any of the above one-offs.

pvmike said:
Why are there a bunch of low production, tuner type cars on the list (eg. Hennessey Viper, Corvette "Snake Skinner") and repeats (Vettes, Vipers, 911's)?

And the NSX is the only Japanese car? No 240Z, RX-7, or Supra? All 3 of these cars are more significant than any of the above one-offs.

They listed it as the 50 "most memorable" tests.

I guess the Supra and Rx-7 were forgettable. At least the NSX made it.

When the McLaren F1 comes in at 44 you know the article is BS!!!

surferX said:
When the McLaren F1 comes in at 44 you know the article is BS!!!

They were in chronological order as far as I could tell.
The fack that a cyclone is in there is what gets me questioning.

The Good Dr. is correct. They do not mean it is #37 out of 50, it could be #1 or #50, but rather the order they were tested is the deciding factor. Still, high praise in any case.

ON EDIT: I was reading through all of them and noticed nothing newer than a 99. Since we all know that there have been some great cars out in the last few years, I thoguth this was odd. Then I noticed on the front page in small letters that this article was from 1999! Surely someone else already had posted about this years ago I would think! This goes to show that not all (assumed) reposts are a bad thing.

NSX7 said:

I was spoilt, learned to drive in that 55 Century, my father's Buick:biggrin: . Thought that was a wonderful car - guess a kid never realizes how great.

But the top speed was around 135 (we had these well-maintained, flat, straight roads in Indiana, you know), well above what would register. And props to Uncle Bill for being a wig at GM.

Hmm gm must be paying to get 8 corvettes on the list and there other cars. I know of 20 other Memorable cars that should be on the list, ie..classic bug,
rx7, alfa romeos spider, f-50, Gallardo, F-60, and why is nsx at 37? It should be on top 10 list. Its hand built, one of the first aluminum cars, functional, reliable, and technoligical friendly.

Paghmani said:
Hmm gm must be paying to get 8 corvettes on the list and there other cars. I know of 20 other Memorable cars that should be on the list, ie..classic bug,
rx7, alfa romeos spider, f-50, Gallardo, F-60, and why is nsx at 37? It should be on top 10 list. Its hand built, one of the first aluminum cars, functional, reliable, and technoligical friendly.

You obviously did not take time to read the thread:frown: , or you would know, as the DR. explained, and I verified, that they are not in order of best to worst, or vice versa, but rather when they were tested by Motor Trend. This also explains why you will see an older car listed after a newer one on the list occasionally, especially on the modded-cars.

I am not critizing the thread. I am concerned about 8 corvettes making the list and the fact that there are other cars i find more suitable to be considered memorable, but then its all relative. :)

Paghmani said:
I am not critizing the thread. I am concerned about 8 corvettes making the list and the fact that there are other cars i find more suitable to be considered memorable, but then its all relative. :)

But you criticized the NSX being #37, and if you had read the thread you would know that the ranking has nothing to do with order of preference.

Back