• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor Trend NSX comments

Some of you may have read an article in MT a couple month ago called SPEEDING. They compared all kinds of exoitc and normal sports cars, but left the NSX off the list. Well, I wrote in and complained, but my letter didn't make the article. However, someone else had the same idea and they did get published.

This is MT comments as to why the NSX was not included.

"The NSX is a delightful automobile and could have been included. But it hasn't changed much from when we took one to 163 MPH (July 1999) and we were aiming higher this year."

What kind of lame comment is that?? With the 2002 reported to do 175 MPH - isn't that higher than 163? Also, they included an EVO that couldnt even do 160 :confused:

Needless to say, I am not impressed. But once again, it shows how the NSX is always overlooked simply because they have not updated the HP in the car. Big mistake Honda.

Like I have said before, the american magazines will continue to leave out our precious NSX simply because of its lack of HP. A serious bump in HP is LONG overdue.

On a side note -- The latest R&T says Lexus is making a supercar for 100K with a 5L V10 with 500+ HP. If the NSX hopes to even compete in this arena anymore, it is going to need at LEAST a V8 with 500 HP IMO. If they plan to be on top, it will need more.

I guess we can only hope honda knows what they are doing....

NetViper said:
the american magazines will continue to leave out our precious NSX simply because of its lack of HP. A serious bump in HP is LONG overdue.
While I don't dispute that the HP bump is overdue, I am not convinced that a simple HP bump would put the NSX into the limelight. The buff mags don't write much about the NSX, to a large extent, because it looks pretty much the same as it has for 13 years. If they put a higher HP engine into it, that wouldn't put it onto the cover of the mags or get it included in these comparos, IMO (as we can see for ourselves that the intro of the 911 GT3 is not getting much attention, despite its 380-385 hp). If it's restyled, so they have something worth taking photos of, that will make it a different story (assuming, of course, that there is more punch to go with it).

NetViper said:
On a side note -- The latest R&T says Lexus is making a supercar for 100K with a 5L V10 with 500+ HP. If the NSX hopes to even compete in this arena anymore, it is going to need at LEAST a V8 with 500 HP IMO. If they plan to be on top, it will need more.
Yes and no. I haven't read about the new Lexus, but I wonder whether this is a car that will compete with the 911 Turbo, or the E55 AMG. What I mean by that is, the "action" in the megabuck arena these days seems to be mostly in big, heavy, high-powered luxury cars, like the E55 AMG, the RS6, the Maybach 55 and 62, the Bimmer Rolls, etc. Many of these are cars that have 450+ hp but weigh well over 4000 pounds and have automatic transmissions. Yes, they perform VERY well; some of them do 0-60 in the low fours. But they are not true sports cars built for the racetrack. Given the market segment that Lexus is in - heavily into luxury cars rather than sports cars - I suspect that they are looking at a car in this segment.

I would hope that any replacement for the NSX is a true sports car - weighing no more than the current car, and built for the race track and carving corners, rather than comfortable high-powered cruising for the entire family. In other words, I don't expect Lexus to compete with the 360 Modena or the baby Lambo (ICBW), but it sure would be nice for the next NSX to do so. And restore its reputation as a "bargain Ferrari".

nsxtasy said:
In other words, I don't expect Lexus to compete with the 360 Modena or the baby Lambo (ICBW), but it sure would be nice for the next NSX to do so. And restore its reputation as a "bargain Ferrari".

R&T says " look for the toyota to go head to head with cars such as the Aston Martin Vanquish and Ferrari 575 M Maranello. The Lamborshini Gallardo and Porsche Carrera GT may also be competitors."

So I guess we shall wait and see.

The Gt3 has not got a ton of attention, but they also have yet to do a real test drive with measurements. I expect more coverage when that happens. By the way, did you read that the Gt3 is priced at 100K, but has another 28K of options!! GEEZ..

As for a new design needed for a cover, well the 2004 Zo6 made the cover of MT and it just has a different paint job.. so who knows what they are looking for. Personally I would have put the Saleen S7 on the cover over a corvette..

NetViper said:
R&T says " look for the toyota to go head to head with cars such as the Aston Martin Vanquish and Ferrari 575 M Maranello. The Lamborshini Gallardo and Porsche Carrera GT may also be competitors."
The Vanquish and the Maranello are really more in the category of the luxury cars I mentioned rather than the sports car competitors. The Gallardo, OTOH, is a two-seat sports car. I'm not sure about the Carrera GT because the name sounds like their other cars - is that their new limited-edition $300K+ car, or a garden-variety 911, or what? Very confusing.

NetViper said:
By the way, did you read that the Gt3 is priced at 100K, but has another 28K of options!! GEEZ..
Typical Porsche. What do you expect from a company that charges $3K extra for metallic paint? :rolleyes:

Of course, if the HP bump happened to be on the order of, oh say, 100 HP, then I think it would be mentioned and even featured.

-Jim

Metallic paint doesn’t necessarily cost 3k… If I remember right its around $700 for the typical metallics and then yes there is another set of special colours for 3k. ;)

Yes the Carrera GT is the uber frog (that is one sexy frog btw). :D (pic attatched)

Isn’t the Lotus Esprit even worse off than the NSX as far as publicity goes? It seems to also be in a somewhat similar situation… as far as being “dated” and such. The NSX gets at least a few articles here and there.

And here's my attempt at public post Ken!

Attachments

• cgt.jpg
    cgt.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,385
I used to write articles for magazines in the past. Simple point is that magazine like articles that sell copies. So, they want something new to tell about.
If, for some reason, there is simply too little news on the market to fill a magazine with you start doing comparison articles to fill pages. After that, the technical stuff comes in. The more aimed at the general market the magazine is, the more average say-nothing-much-in-a-1000-words articles you will get.
And I am not starting even about companies not being willing to put time and money (and in this case, a car) in getting a simple mention in one of the many magazines on the subject.

ky650 said:
Metallic paint doesn’t necessarily cost 3k… If I remember right its around $700 for the typical metallics and then yes there is another set of special colours for 3k.
You are correct; thank you for the clarification. For example, on the 2003 Porsche 911 Carrera, it costs $825 for one set of colors of metallic paint (Midnight Blue, Arctic Silver, Lapis Blue, Seal Grey, Meridian, Dark Teal, Orient Red, Basalt Black) and $3,070 for another set of colors (Slate Grey, Polar Silver, Forest Green, Zanzibar Red, Cobalt Blue). You can also pay $4,315 to have them paint the car to sample (I assume this means that you provide a sample of a color, and they paint the car that color).

However, the fact that a $70K+ car should charge anything extra at all for metallic paint is still unconscionable, IMO.

nsxtasy said:

However, the fact that a $70K+ car should charge anything extra at all for metallic paint is still unconscionable, IMO.

I am with Ken here. Cars that cost over 70K really shouldn't charge for little things that other companies do for free.

I think that if a car costs that much, it should include all the options.

The majority of Acura cars do not have options except for maybe a nav system. That is the way all cars should be IMO.

nsxtasy said:

I am with you Ken! And these companies, not only Porsche, should also offer the remote, the floor mats OR (not and) the CD player... at least one of these please... for over 80k in this case... ;)

Originally posted by NetViper

The majority of Acura cars do not have options except for maybe a nav system. That is the way all cars should be IMO.

Yes, the "majority" of the Acura line. Not their most expensive model... :D

One of my favourite things about Porsche was the fact that they offered so many options – I for one think it takes things a step further as far as making a car yours. To me the idea of matching colour of the exterior with the roll bars, the centre console, the seatbelts, the stitching, wheels, and gauge faces is pretty cool. I know it costs a lot but it’s nice to know you have the option if you want it – rather than attempt to do it yourself (IE. Red NSX + ITR shiftboot + Zanardi floormats + custom reupholstered seats – just to get that look I’ve seen several members go for). On the other hand foot well lighting is also optional… :rolleyes: Anyways, I know at first paying for everything as an option may sound terrible but most people don’t know about many of the fun customisation options and assume them to be things like floor mats, cd changer, etc. If given the choice don’t you wish Honda offered a bit more than exterior colour/interior colour/floor mats/CD changer/keyless entry as an option?

PS: Sorry to change the thread topic. I do in fact own an NSX and love it to death - I'm not just some P-car troll :D

Picture Caption:
An example of a Boxster with matched body colour painted roll bars, sport seats (3 seats to choose frome), Porsche crests embossed on the seats, coloured seatbelts, matched body colour centre console, and red stictching.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,272
ky650 - I belive Honda does do this type of customization that you speak of. But it's not offered in the US - only Japan.

shouldn't charge

NetViper said:
I am with Ken here. Cars that cost over 70K really shouldn't charge for little things that other companies do for free.

I think that if a car costs that much, it should include all the options.

You mean that the CD player, and keyless entry should be standard on a 90,000 car, that would include our beloved NSX I assume. Too bad they charged me:eek:

I hate the excuses that pass for car magazines these days. Last month, one mag had a shootout between roadsters. They leave the MB SLK off the list becuase of a new model expected next year. They include the S2000, even though it is unchanged, and there is a new model next year. Considering how lame the SLK was when it first came out, I would have liked to see what the current version could do, as MB tends to tweak their cars to perfection right before the successor arrives. I'm sure the top-of-the-line model would have been in the hunt, and stirred up the finishing order.

Re: shouldn't charge

RPM217 said:
You mean that the CD player, and keyless entry should be standard on a 90,000 car, that would include our beloved NSX I assume. Too bad they charged me:eek:

Exactely my point! :(

And Acura/Honda is not Porsche that can rely on the "status" to sell the car anyway. Value is needed and not giving basic standard stuff for 80k$ is kind of strange for the buyer to accept.

Didn't we already discuss in a previous furom, where some representatives visited one of our fellow NSXer's home; and when this NSXer asked about the possibility of a V-8 or V-10 in the next gen NSX the reply was something along the line of how the V-8/10 will dramatically change the dynamics of the NSX?

I doubt anyone here will disagree that the NSX could use a power boost. But, will it still be the NSX we know and love with a totally new engine?

Well, I guess since it will be designed by Honda then are Faith is assured. I just doubt they will come out with a totally new engine. Is it really that difficult to beef up the current engine:(

Another thing to keep in mind is that the car companies have to give or loan cars to the magazines to test them. I would assume car companies do this in order to sell cars. Acura doesn't appear to be too concerned about NSX sales (<200 per year recently) so maybe it isn't worth it to them to allow use of a $90K car only to have it beaten up by the magazine testers and shown up by most of the other vehicles tested. How would it look if in a side by side comparison, the $90k Acura flagship barely edged out (or possibly lost to) a less than $30k Mitsubishi ie EVO? Look how Comptech's "400+hp" NSX did in its last comparison. Twelfth place I believe it was for only $150k +. Without a major upgrade, I don't see a significant reason for Acura to participate in any car comparsons with the NSX.

SCS2k said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that the car companies have to give or loan cars to the magazines to test them. I would assume car companies do this in order to sell cars. Acura doesn't appear to be too concerned about NSX sales (<200 per year recently) so maybe it isn't worth it to them to allow use of a $90K car only to have it beaten up by the magazine testers and shown up by most of the other vehicles tested. How would it look if in a side by side comparison, the $90k Acura flagship barely edged out (or possibly lost to) a less than $30k Mitsubishi ie EVO? Look how Comptech's "400+hp" NSX did in its last comparison. Twelfth place I believe it was for only $150k +. Without a major upgrade, I don't see a significant reason for Acura to participate in any car comparsons with the NSX.

i wonder how R&T managed to only do 13.0 in the 1/4 for the supped up comptech car...hmmm.

nsxmofo said:
i wonder how R&T managed to only do 13.0 in the 1/4 for the supped up comptech car...hmmm.

They obviously did not do a very good job driving it. They did however do a good run in the comptech S2000.

Judging by the times you are doing, the comptech car should be a lot quicker than what they got.

I think we still need a FI NSX shootout .. turbo vs SC. All brands welcome. Is anyone at NSXPO up for it??

NetViper said:

I think we still need a FI NSX shootout .. turbo vs SC. All brands welcome. Is anyone at NSXPO up for it??

excellent idea. i'll more than likely fly in to san fran for nsxpo this year and drive to the 2004 event on the east coast.

SCS2k said:

I've seen the NSX compared the the new Lancer Evo before. I see the numbers are a bit better in the 0-60 times than the pre '97s but has anyone actaully had a go with one of these things.

On my way home from a joy drive at night, I had this yellow lancer evo constantly harassing me.:rolleyes:

Then he would ride my tail or pace my speed exactly. I was just curious how "The NSX" :D would fare against this Evo thingie.
To my suprise on the green (even with my slipping clutch) I pulled on him in second gear. The NSX felt great and pulled really strong. I did to him what he spent the last 2 miles doing to me. Went in front of him and put on my flashers.

Whatever, I just thought I would mention this since there is so much talk about the Evo's impressive numbers vs. price. Nice to know my 12 year old Honda put him in his place with my slipping clutch and only intake and headers for engine mods.

Oh BTW the guy was with his g/f when he pulled up to next to me at the next light. He looked none too happy, but his g/f seemed nicely impressed (at the NSX I think):D

Back