• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Move over Plasti Dip - new product coming to market

Interesting..........didn't realize there was plastidip smoke for tail lights.

Yes, there is and it is very odd to spray. After 3-4 coats it barely looks noticeable. Let it sit for 20-30 min and you see it darken. After that 3-4 coats let it dry so you don't make it darker than you want it. We used 6 coats on the Yukon we did and it finally got dark enough for the owner.

Yes, there is and it is very odd to spray. After 3-4 coats it barely looks noticeable. Let it sit for 20-30 min and you see it darken. After that 3-4 coats let it dry so you don't make it darker than you want it. We used 6 coats on the Yukon we did and it finally got dark enough for the owner.

Which can are you using? It's specifically for taillight smoke? I've never seen this. Have you ever used this on engine parts? How heat resistant is it?

Which can are you using? It's specifically for taillight smoke? I've never seen this. Have you ever used this on engine parts? How heat resistant is it?

It is called "plastidip Smoke" Not specifically for tailights. You can use it for anything. On Chrome it gives a cool brushed aluminum color. And on any other color it slightly tints it and gives it a mate finish.

As far as heat resistance I have not put it on anything real hot as of now. But the base is the same as the colored Plasti dip. So hot things ( wheels) should be ok but really hot things ( calipers) will probably not last.

Here is an example :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plasti-Dip-...ltDomain_0&hash=item2c651179aa#ht_1328wt_1396

Last edited:
I'm close to powdercoating my wheels Red. Thought i'd plastidip them first to see if i'd like it.

This one Porsche guy seems to have satisfactory results. It's a track driven car. I haven't had a chance to go thru the entire thread fyi..

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...-by-request-plati-dip-vs-paint-and-vinyl.html

He only applied 2 coats to his wheels and only 1 coat on one wheel. You need to apply 4-5 coats. If you do not, it is easily damaged and does not pull off easily.

He only applied 2 coats to his wheels and only 1 coat on one wheel. You need to apply 4-5 coats. If you do not, it is easily damaged and does not pull off easily.
Ah! Thanks for the tip!

How many cans should I buy for 4-5 coats on these wheels (see pic below)? I don't plan to do the inner barrel. Only the spokes and the outer face/lip.

Where do you guys recommend I buy from? I do have a spray gun btw but I don't have a condensation filter on my compressor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NSX Rotora SSR Type C Competition .jpg
    NSX Rotora SSR Type C Competition .jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,075
Last edited:
Ah! Thanks for the tip!

How many cans should I buy for 4-5 coats on these wheels (see pic below)? I don't plan to do the inner barrel. Only the spokes and the outer face/lip.

Where do you guys recommend I buy from? I do have a spray gun btw but I don't have a condensation filter on my compressor.

attachment.php

Buy the whole wheel kit here:

www.dipyourcar.com

Ah! Thanks for the tip!

attachment.php

I would buy one can per wheel. It is to much, however better to lay more than to lay less. VERY IMPORTANT. If you hold the can to far away from the wheel the product can dry in the air prior to it getting to the wheel and it will leave a texture you do not want. 6 inches away is probably the most. I sprayed a few things on my TL to far away on the first couple coats and the stuff looks like rhino lining :)

I do have a spray gun btw but I don't have a condensation filter on my compressor.

In the several sets I have done, I would just use the aerosol if it just a set of wheels.. Clean up of the guns, mess etc.. is just to much not to use cans.

Now for a whole car? Gun no doubt.

I just purchased a couple cans of matte black plasti dip from Orchards $7.49. I did my front chrome grill and rear piece. It came out pretty good and yes if you spray to far away it becomes textured. It feels grippy and tacky when dry and forms like a wrapped piece, but looks good. Do know how to post pics from iPhone on here?
My wheel kit will be here next week. I'm gonna try a dark gunmetal metallic using black matte base with silver metallic enhancer.

Last edited:
I just purchased a couple cans of matte black plasti dip from Orchards $7.49. I did my front chrome grill and rear piece. It came out pretty good and yes if you spray to far away it becomes textured. It feels grippy and tacky when dry and forms like a wrapped piece, but looks good. Do know how to post pics from iPhone on here?

Best way is to download the tapatalk app. Then search this forum. Pretty easy on there.

Yep^ Thanks Dave..

Or you can buy through me. Prices are the same as theirs.

Didn't know you sold the same kits. Certainly prefer to buy from a great prime member. Sorry man, wasn't trying to steer anyone elsewhere for a product you sell. BUY FROM SOURCENSX EVERYBODY!!! :biggrin:

Didn't know you sold the same kits. Certainly prefer to buy from a great prime member. Sorry man, wasn't trying to steer anyone elsewhere for a product you sell. BUY FROM SOURCENSX EVERYBODY!!! :biggrin:

Totally joking around :biggrin:

Not even possible!:confused: There are techniques to get the immitation look though with paint.

LOL I was just joking :smile: It reminded me of the Three Stooges short where the boys were mistaken for interior decorators. The overzealous homeowner wanted to help them paint so they asked him to go out and mix up "a batch of spotted paint". That kept him busy for the entire show :biggrin:

LOL I was just joking :smile: It reminded me of the Three Stooges short where the boys were mistaken for interior decorators. The overzealous homeowner wanted to help them paint so they asked him to go out and mix up "a batch of spotted paint". That kept him busy for the entire show :biggrin:

Anytime you post all I can hear is "blah blah blah blah" because I am just focused on your distracting avatar.

Hey Source - Have you or anyone you've plastidip'd had to change tires on the wheel? I was thinking about doing my drift wheels but I'll change the tires on them 3 to 4 times in a weekend sometimes. With the way the tire changing machine works I thought it might rip the plastidip off?

Back