• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Move over Plasti Dip - new product coming to market

Hey Source - Have you or anyone you've plastidip'd had to change tires on the wheel? I was thinking about doing my drift wheels but I'll change the tires on them 3 to 4 times in a weekend sometimes. With the way the tire changing machine works I thought it might rip the plastidip off?

I just had a set of tires changed out on my dipped wheels, the only problem area was with the wheel weights, they pulled up a bit, so I just sprayed a little extra over the top and was good to go! These wheels are on my daily driver.

Hey Source - Have you or anyone you've plastidip'd had to change tires on the wheel? I was thinking about doing my drift wheels but I'll change the tires on them 3 to 4 times in a weekend sometimes. With the way the tire changing machine works I thought it might rip the plastidip off?

Yes, It will lift of caught by the tire machine and torn. But simply spraying more on seals it and it looks great. Not sure if that is something I would want to deal with during drift events but that is how it would work.

DipYourCar.com is out of matte black and on back order. I ordered wheel kit over a week ago and they just now informed me of back order. I just need the metallic silver for my wheels. I'll give Source 1 a call.

Yes, It will lift of caught by the tire machine and torn. But simply spraying more on seals it and it looks great. Not sure if that is something I would want to deal with during drift events but that is how it would work.

What if I painted the "edged" of the rim where the tire machine makes contact and then plastidipped the rest. Would that be a viable option do you think?

What if I painted the "edged" of the rim where the tire machine makes contact and then plastidipped the rest. Would that be a viable option do you think?

Yes. It would be.

And just for reference, I dipped a wheel yesterday and tried to change the tire on it last night and did it with no issue. I was just extra careful not to let the machine touch the wheel. It was a 18 inch wheel with a R888 tire so not the easiest to mount but it is doable..

DipYourCar.com is out of matte black and on back order. I ordered wheel kit over a week ago and they just now informed me of back order. I just need the metallic silver for my wheels. I'll give Source 1 a call.

I have 6 cans of the silver metalizer coming. But used my last bit 2 days ago. I should have it in stock next wed.

FYI, you can find this stuff at any hardware store. My local Home Depot had 13 cans of the black. I grabbed 4 at $6.98 a can. :). It's nothing special to find online only, unless you want a bulk supply.

FYI, you can find this stuff at any hardware store. My local Home Depot had 13 cans of the black. I grabbed 4 at $6.98 a can. :). It's nothing special to find online only, unless you want a bulk supply.

Correct. Black is readily available.

All the other colors, Gallons, Smoke, Metalizer, glossifier etc are all tough to get unless you get them online. I am a vendor for the stuff and those items are tough to get ahold of.

Just paint the wheel with matte black plastic dip and paint over it with any color you want.

Getting out of control on this dip stuff. Just finished my wheels with metalizer / flat black and side vent flat black. Came out pretty good drk gun metal.
Tonight mirrors, roof, rear wing. All with a rattle can Plasti Dip-spray paint.
Cant post pics on my iphone, but if you really want, i can sent via email.
[email protected]

I'd like to see how they came out. Thinking of doing the same paint setup. [email protected]

Getting out of control on this dip stuff. Just finished my wheels with metalizer / flat black and side vent flat black. Came out pretty good drk gun metal.
Tonight mirrors, roof, rear wing. All with a rattle can Plasti Dip-spray paint.
Cant post pics on my iphone, but if you really want, i can sent via email.
[email protected]

Just paint the wheel with matte black plastic dip and paint over it with any color you want.

Hmm.

Now that's a thought!

Okay guys got my ass up to the computer to download pics of plasti dip wheels.
I painted them with 3 coats of matte black them added some metal flakes 2 coats.
Here is the left side of my car non dipped.
DSC01198.JPG

Here is the right side or the dark side DIPPED.
DSC029391.JPG

DSC02936.JPG

DSC02935.JPG

Please excuse the dirty front end. Needs a wash. I did the spray nozzles and front emblem black.
DSC029411.JPG

Last edited:
What metal flakes? Please post a how-to for the rest of us.

Back