• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to Chicago - have questions

Hey All,

I am moving to Chicago in September and going to live downtown (Streeterville area most likely). I currently have two cars, one an NSX and one a daily driver. I am in Washington DC right now and pretty much drive the NSX as much as I can if it is decent out, not going to get dinged in the city, etc.

So, I am currently leaning towards selling the NSX - due to the fact (maybe wrong) that the weather in Chicago will preclude me from taking it out as much as I do here in DC. Also, paying $250/month for parking for two cars seems excessive especially if I am not driving the NSX much.

So just asking your honest opinion about whether I can drive the NSX a decent amount, and whether it makes sense for me to keep it and not sell. Of course, folks might be biased (as I am) but just trying to get an accurate feel from y'all.

I am only sure that I am in Chicago for a year or so - then we might head somewhere else completely or stay for longer, though probably not in the same place.

Thanks in advance,

Depending on where you work, the question is whether you really need a daily driver like your IS 300. Living in the Streeterville area, you can easily obtain a cab and most shopping is within walking distance. The only real problem will be grocery shopping. Otherwise, driving the NSX shouldn't be too difficult. The weather probably allows you to drive for 7 months of the year assuming that you don't want to drive with either snow or salt on the roads.

Tim

I'm not sure what the question is, here. Can you drive the NSX a decent amount? Well, that depends on what you use it for. If you are commuting, or going on road trips, or taking it to the track... sure, you can. As Tim mentions, the weather isn't all that conducive to driving the NSX from roughly late November/early December to mid March; most owners here park it during that period and turn off the liability and collision portions of the insurance. The rest of the year, you can drive it anywhere and everywhere. But how much you drive it is really up to you, no?

It's also worth noting that we have a very active local owner group, with activities through the NSX Club of America. We'll be sending a large contingent to NSXPO 2004 at Watkins Glen in October. We have good NSX service available too, with two suburban dealers (in Hoffman Estates and Highland Park) that are highly experienced at servicing NSXs, and we're a hundred miles from Acura of Brookfield, outside Milwaukee, the Midwest's leading servicer of NSXs, particularly modified and track-prepared NSXs. There are also a lot more racetracks close by than almost anywhere else in the country, with nine tracks within a five hour radius. This is a great place to own an NSX.

I live in streeterville and I drive the NSX as often as possible! I think it's well worth paying for the parking for the enjoyment of driving the NSX.

Thanks for the input

I am certainly wavering on my desire to sell the NSX so maybe I will end up keeping it after all. I will let you know if I do and end up in the area.

Thanks again,

NSXBandit

and gingerman track is less than 1 hour away!

I am on the beach in South Haven right now!!! Saw a few sweet turbo 911's in town.

I live 2 and 1/2 hours north of Chi-town, and I drive mine until Dec 1 and get it out in march. That is only 3+ months of downtime, which I look at as upgrade time. Time to install new parts etc. Plus like Ken said save a little on insurance during this time, and save some milage as well.

Good Luck.

WOODY said:
and gingerman track is less than 1 hour away!
GingerMan is 128 miles from downtown Chicago. I figure I'm making pretty good time when I can do it in 1 hour 45 minutes...

GinaK said:
I live in streeterville and I drive the NSX as often as possible! I think it's well worth paying for the parking for the enjoyment of driving the NSX.
Ditto !!

I had my NSX in Streeterville from 1998-2004, and just recently moved out of the neighborhood. Parking in the area is unfortunately $$ ($325/mo at my old place); you might consider some offsite options for seldom-used cars.

i stand corrected, and add another hour for traffic

Back