• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to LA... I have some Questions

Hi SoCal Prime members, I am currently in school and my last year of school is extern at a hospital. I pulled Cedars and I was worried since I have not been out of Oregon ever. What is it like in LA? I would love a place with a garage so I can bring my car down and join your local meets. I will be down in LA from July to June next year.

I was looking at some places in korea town that had community gated parking. I was wondering if it is safe there or should I pay to have a private car parking/storage near by?

Any info helps,
Thanks
Tuan

Last edited:
Koreatown is quite pricey and roads are horrible, but lots of food and bars. Also, parts of Koreatown are pretty rough. For the same price, check out West L.A (maybe Palms area). Great weather year round and 10min from PCH.

MALIBU!!
I lived up there a year while I was building a beach house and it seemed all my neighbors were Med students mostly going to UCLA. Good place to hang!! :biggrin:

Koreatown is quite pricey and roads are horrible, but lots of food and bars. Also, parts of Koreatown are pretty rough. For the same price, check out West L.A (maybe Palms area). Great weather year round and 10min from PCH.

The scariest part is that horrible roads.

Tuan, there's a good and a bad to being near Cedars. For one thing it's a great hospital however, you're stuck close to Beverly Hills so rent is a bit pricy. Anywhere from Beverly Hills and especially thru K-town - the roads are HORRIBLE. Wilshire from UCLA > Beverly Hills > K-town.. oh Christ. Even my 4x4 gets rattled around. I don't take my NSX there for fear of a bent rim. I'm not even kidding. I would be hating life if I had to commute there in my NSX. It's doable if you're careful and quick with the steering so i'd say it's not impossible.

Now the garage situation... if you don't plan to do any work on your car yoruself then you have more options for gated/indoor parking but be prepared for a commute. How long are you willing to drive? Will you be working standard 8-5hrs or will you have typical medical hours and can hopefully miss rush hour?

You should move to west hollywood. Relatively inexpensive, super fun, lots of things to do, and very close to Cedars.

You should move to west hollywood. Relatively inexpensive, super fun, lots of things to do, and very close to Cedars.

I was thinking about that as well. I saw a few places with underground gated parking. I am still not use to that since I want a private single car garage. Are any of the Socal members using these underground gated parking garage? How is it? Are you worried about other people messing with the NSX?

Thanks
Tuan

If your car is nicely modded and stuffs, get your own garage. Private or gated underground garage won't stop other people living in the same complex messing with your car.

West LA is a good choice - quite a mix of demographics depending on how close you are to Westwood/UCLA or on the Pico West-East corridor. It will take you about 30 min to Cedars from Westwood Blvd. depending on traffic.

If your car is nicely modded and stuffs, get your own garage. Private or gated underground garage won't stop other people living in the same complex messing with your car.

I have been looking at gated storage unit that will fit my car. I would pick it up when I want to drive it or meet up with other members for a drive. Its hard to find anything for a decent price atleast for something that will fit the car.

West LA is a good choice - quite a mix of demographics depending on how close you are to Westwood/UCLA or on the Pico West-East corridor. It will take you about 30 min to Cedars from Westwood Blvd. depending on traffic.

Yeah, I would like to be 30 minutes or closer to cedars. OC would be just a bit too far for me. I have to calculate traffic in as well. Either way I am excited to meet new members in the socal area. I hope it is at least possible to bring my car down for a meet. That would be awesome. :biggrin:

Also I do not have a front plate and no cat. I am just running straight pipes with burns muffler. Do you think the cops will give me alot of trouble even with my oregon plate?

Last edited:
how far do you wana drive? I mean I live in Chino Hills, like 45 min from LA. GREAT area. There is Pasadena and west Covina thats like 20-30 min from LA but those too have good areas where you can rent a place and store your car. I will not be the first to say I wont leave the NSX any where near LA. There isn't a whole lot of areas I would say are great to be around. There is Malibu, yeah, but that is ridiculously expensive lol.

Supersonic,
The max time would be about 30 minutes travel time. I wouldn't want to live any further away. I'll look into those areas you suggested.

Thanks
Tuan

Supersonic,
The max time would be about 30 minutes travel time. I wouldn't want to live any further away. I'll look into those areas you suggested.

Thanks
Tuan

Just another consideration if ambient temps/pollution are important for you. The further west you go from Cedars the healthier and cooler the temps - just saying :biggrin:

Yeah, I would like to be 30 minutes or closer to cedars. OC would be just a bit too far for me. I have to calculate traffic in as well. Either way I am excited to meet new members in the socal area. I hope it is at least possible to bring my car down for a meet. That would be awesome. :biggrin:

Also I do not have a front plate and no cat. I am just running straight pipes with burns muffler. Do you think the cops will give me alot of trouble even with my oregon plate?

You are fine w/ no front plates if you have out of state plates. Usually parking enforcement does not ticket out of state plates, since those states don't necessarily have the same CA requirement. I've never seen traffic cops even check, even if they pull you over.

Just another consideration if ambient temps/pollution are important for you. The further west you go from Cedars the healthier and cooler the temps - just saying :biggrin:

I am still on the look out for something decent and not too spendy. I think $1000 a month would be a good price and then save about $200-250 a month for a storage unit for the car.

You are fine w/ no front plates if you have out of state plates. Usually parking enforcement does not ticket out of state plates, since those states don't necessarily have the same CA requirement. I've never seen traffic cops even check, even if they pull you over.

Thanks for the info!

Tuan

Try the apartments on LAUREL AVE between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. The street is pretty wide and the apartments have good underground parking. Also, they still may have rent control there. Going to Cedars is about 10min. max, and the apartments are walking distance to Equinox gym, Trader Joe's, the Laugh Factory, Greenblatt's deli, and the Sunset Strip. This area is more Hollywood than West Hollywood, but the rent seems to be more reasonable and the drive to Cedars is just down La Cienega.

Back