• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Cabin Technology Refresh Project (picture intensive!)

Speechless, i've been looking going down a similar route with my Ipad mini, but this looks so amazing it makes me want to ditch my "Apple fetish" and go for a Nexus...

clean_green,

Did you use a 1st gen or 2nd gen Nexus 7? I noticed the sizes are slightly different: 1st gen is 198.5×120×10.56 mm while the 2nd gen is 200×114×8.65 mm . So the 2nd gen is a little taller and narrower (when vertical). 1.5mm might not sound like much but you mentioned the fit was really tight.

I used a 1st gen N7. I think a 2nd gen would fit as well - there was probably another 1.5mm clearance in there, but not much more. There are some good deals on the 1st gens out there now since the 2nd ones debuted.

- - - Updated - - -

Speechless, i've been looking going down a similar route with my Ipad mini, but this looks so amazing it makes me want to ditch my "Apple fetish" and go for a Nexus...

I was disappointed when the iPAD Mini turned out to be too large to fit into the pod because that was my preferred tablet. On the other hand, it would have been very painful for me to tear into the iPAD to modify the connector orientation, like I did on the N7.

I used a 1st gen N7. I think a 2nd gen would fit as well - there was probably another 1.5mm clearance in there, but not much more. There are some good deals on the 1st gens out there now since the 2nd ones debuted.

- - - Updated - - -

I was disappointed when the iPAD Mini turned out to be too large to fit into the pod because that was my preferred tablet. On the other hand, it would have been very painful for me to tear into the iPAD to modify the connector orientation, like I did on the N7.

Yeah i absolutely love how clean it looks inside the nav pod! i'm already browsing the local craigslist here in Holland to find a Nexus 7. Can you somehow get Itunes synced (as i have all my music on Itunes).

Yeah i absolutely love how clean it looks inside the nav pod! i'm already browsing the local craigslist here in Holland to find a Nexus 7. Can you somehow get Itunes synced (as i have all my music on Itunes).

I haven't tried it yet because I vault most of my music on the Amazon cloud but I'll bet that there is an app for that on Google Play!

Hmm, maybe not. I looked up the Nav Pod sizes on Science of speed, which says 7.85". In inches, the 1st gen is 7.81", the 2nd gen 7.87". To anybody reading this thread - have you tried a 2nd gen Nexus 7 in the Nav Pod??

It looks like you had to cut the speaker module? Does it still work? Did you consider just leaving it out entirely?

Was there any issue in the USB port ribbon cable after you turned the connector 90 degrees?

- - - Updated - - -

I took a look at the Nexus 7 2nd gen teardown videos. I think it would be very very difficult to rotate the charge port 90 degrees, as it is mounted to a MUCH bigger pcb.

It looks like you had to cut the speaker module? Does it still work? Did you consider just leaving it out entirely?

Was there any issue in the USB port ribbon cable after you turned the connector 90 degrees?

No, the speaker is intact and it still works fine. I did have to remove the speaker unit to rotate the micro USB and considered just leaving it out but thought "what they heck" and put it back in. Both the USB and headphone jack are on flex circuits so rotating them is pretty easy. The USB is the more fragile of the 2 and that is why I surrounded it with the stainless steel bracket before potting it - that circuit board is thinner that a fingernail! The headphone jack is a little more robust so I just potted it with hot glue but I made sure to strain relieve the cables very well to the tablet mounting bracket. Here's a close up pic:

http://
2n9cr3l.jpg

Last edited:
It's a fun project! If you have an aftermarket head unit with an aux input, yours will be much simpler than mine was. If you have any questions, just ask. Good luck :smile:

Still using the stock head unit, but I already have the USA*Spec iPod adapter installed, so I'll just use the Aux inputs on that. I doubt I'll be using the iPod once the Nexus is installed, but I'll have the option :)

Just need to find a good place to tap power from. Something on the accessory circuit I imagine. The lighter perhaps? I think the clock is on all the time, isn't it?

There are 3 unused taps on the fuse block near the drivers left foot. One of them is energized when the key is in the accessory position. I think it is the one furthest from the firewall. A search in this section should turn up what you need.

You've inspired me. Thank you.

I have a nav pod, bracket and a Nexus 7 2nd gen ready to be chopped up for hardwire. Based on I fixit tear down, it will be a bit more involved than flipping up usb and 3.5mm jacks.

You've inspired me. Thank you.

I have a nav pod, bracket and a Nexus 7 2nd gen ready to be chopped up for hardwire. Based on I fixit tear down, it will be a bit more involved than flipping up usb and 3.5mm jacks.

Awesome! Please let us know how it goes!

Just picked up a 2012 model nexus,

1451404_588605914543887_2035222987_n.jpg

Greatly inspired by your work!

Thanks!

This is still a first gen, the 2nd gen is quite a bit larger (had them side by side).

Currently looking into options like "wake up" on double tap.... Or maybe seeing if the "on / off button" can be placed externally!

Interesting idea - you could mount it on the top of the nav pod, for example. Would be barely noticable.

Saw this software: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apdroid.tabtalk&hl=en

Looks like it will let you place and receive calls and text messages via the tablet, using at BT connection to your smart phone.

That sounds awesome! I was looking for an app like that a while back and failed to find one. I don't know if the call portion will work with my existing BT setup but it's worth a try for $3 :smile: The text messaging would be cool too.

----Edit----
It doesn't work for iPhones :frown:

Last edited:
Back